CatfishKev

Paleo Diet

Id be interested to see what your workout routine consisted of..? I too Have issues with sticking to a strict diet. Im currently trying to cut back and also do my best to not eat processed food, no soda and im not a fan of beer. Do like my cranberry and apple crown tho . Also probably Doesn't help my wife's Hispanic and a dam good cook... haha

Id be interested to see what your workout routine consisted of..? I too Have issues with sticking to a strict diet. Im currently trying to cut back and also do my best to not eat processed food, no soda and im not a fan of beer. Do like my cranberry and apple crown tho . Also probably Doesn't help my wife's Hispanic and a dam good cook... haha

the most important thing at first when youre new to flexible dieting is too keep track of the calories you eat. but you could still eat mexican food and crown everyday and lose weight if youre smart about it.

• Like 2

Packed on a few lbs lately, the gun belt is "snug" so I've been making changes. Along with logging my intake, I've also switched to liquid lunches.

I commend your self assessment and efforts to make positive changes. That drink looks slam full of good stuff, but does the liquid lunch leave you hungry or fatigued after a long day?

No not more so then normal. I've actually felt great. I work nights, so ive also been trying to eat my dinner earlier, about 8-9ish. The down fall of that is I am a little hungry when I get home. I will typically have something like a picked before bed a d be good. I typically have 500-600 calorie breakfast, Lara bar, eggs, milk, coffee, etc, liquid shake, then a 500-700 calorie dinner. With small snacks mixed in, staying around 2100 calories for the day.

I have done the liquid stuff too to help my wife. You actually feel really good. I normally will do some if I feel like I need a cleans.

Home made corn tortillas only bro! Last night I ate pretty healthy and good too.. Had some cedar wrapped salmon ( small steak ) and some fresh pineapple as a side. You'll know you are doing good on your diet when start taking like 1-2 dumps a day.. Whenever I used to pig out I would have to take like 3 dumps a day.. Now I'm down to 1 or 2 a day. Like trphy said you can still catch a good buzz while dieting just lay off the beers. When ever I want to catch a quick buzz I'll tap into my wifes red wine, I save the beers for the weekend!

I'm pretty sure the point was that you can still gain wait with minimal caloric intake if your eating foods not designed for your body.

lmfao ya im sure it was. It also makes no sense at all and I would encourage you to seek out someone more qualified to be giving nutritional advice in 2016

That being said, whatever floats your boat. You should look up "if it fits your macros" not paleo though if you want a diet you can stick to long term

I get what your saying but our bodies aren't what really changed since the 1930's But food has changed drastically. I think it's still relevant but I will look into the macros thing. Not pushing paleo one way or another I'm still just searching for answers. I'd like to do something though that's a step in the right direction. Having 5 kids is also a factor since some of them are picky eaters. I just want to move in a direction other than what we've been doing as a family.

I been on a diet since February and have lost close to 30lbs I'd say.. Some of it was lifestyle change ( no beers Mon. - Thurs ) but a lot of it was because I bought this book called " Wheat Belly " its basically a " no wheat diet"... It sucks because you miss out on burgers, pasta , and pizzas, but man it really works. My wife and I still eat carbs too we just dont eat flour or anything wheat based.. The book says corn tortillas are good and so is red wine..My neighbor turned me on to this diet, and like I said I been at it since Feb, and the main reason I did it was to be in better hunting shape plus I'm only 34 and should really take advantage of being healthy and young. Oh yeah now that I've lost the weight I will reward my self by cheating on the weekends, mostly beers but I will also have a sandwich or burger just try not to eat anything bad Mon.-Thursday.

wheat-belly.jpg

Curious, did you change any other habits other than diet and cutting back on the Booz?

My buddy owns a crossfit gym and just did a paleo nutrition seminar that my wife and I attended. It all seemed to make sense as far as the science behind it but it sure is hard to give up pizza and burgers. If I go back to visit PA, any diet is gonna go out the window to get some pizza and cheesesteaks. In the end though I do think I would I would make it my basis but add a few things that are not technically allowed. In any case if we cut out the processed foods were a step ahead either way.

Some what....I definitely lay off the deserts now and never ever drink soda or red bulls. I still eat red meat at least 2-3 times a week and still eat Mexican food ( corn tortillas only ) .. Once you lose the weight you can cheat a little now and then.. I'll have some beers on the weekend and a burger if I'm feeling it. I just keep it real simple and no wheat during the work week.. For instance on a Monday I will grill some chicken and eat it with a half avacado, tuesday night will be like salmon and a side salad...but on Friday when the wife and I want to drink a few we will just go to Native and order some hot wings and some beers.

Thanks for the input. Avacado gets mentioned a lot in paleo, I just wish it didn't taste like crap. I've tried several times just can't bring myself to like it. I figure if I went paleo or something similar Friday night and Saturday would be the cheat day. Just can't give up pizza and burgers on the the grill. Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the point was that you can still gain wait with minimal caloric intake if your eating foods not designed for your body.

NO. I can live on nothing but caramel corn and protein shakes and lose weight or gain weight depending on how many calories of it I consume. I could do the same with pizza or burgers. Or I could do it with legumes, roots, and "clean" foods. At the most basic level, its not a matter of what but how much (calories).

Thanks for the input. I've always understood you could lose weight on snickers bars in the right proportions. I was only referencing this particular story as it was the only major food source at the time and how it wreaked havoc on the body when it came to insulin levels.

Avocado taste like crap!? You have my address be there at high noon and we'll throw down! Avocados are amazing!

• Like 2

Avocado taste like crap!? You have my address be there at high noon and we'll throw down! Avocados are amazing![/quote

If you could make me like them I'd be eternally grateful. And guacamole don't count. I think it's the texture, reminds me of this one time I tried lamb brains. It wasn't a great experience for me.

Avocado taste like crap!? You have my address be there at high noon and we'll throw down! Avocados are amazing![/quote

If you could make me like them I'd be eternally grateful. And guacamole don't count. I think it's the texture, reminds me of this one time I tried lamb brains. It wasn't a great experience for me.

Well eat more guacamole!!! You can make avacado taste good. Just mix tomato , lime, cilantro , onions and some pomegranate.. Delicious!

img_0271.jpg

Paleo sometimes is taken as"eat as much meat and fat as you want. Cavemen ate mammoth fat constantly."

However, for some, that will not help long term living. For instance, the APOE genotype you have determines how you process cholesterol. If you have the APOE 4 in you, your body will have higher levels, even on a mostly pant based diet. If you are APOE 2, you can eat more fat and meat, and have lower levels.

I have the APOE 3/4, so my previous Paleo diet was inflammatory. I would eat an egg or two, with yolks, some fish, and some cabbage and garlic for breakfast. Grains came after the meat, fish, and veggies. Btw, I am lactose intolerant. And alcohol cause some burning sensation. fun...

In short, one person's Paleo may not be another's Paleo. The Mediterranean Diet may have too much fat and alcohol for some, like me.

But, eating vegetables, minimal processed foods, minimal sugar, etc...will help keep weight down, and give vitamins and other minerals.

As far as working out to stay fit, calculate the amount of exercise to burn a glass of wine and/or one extra peanut butter sandwich. It's eye opening. The original poster has kids, so I doubt he can work out 1.5 hours 6 times a week. The correct type of Paleo will help keep weight off.

Paleo sometimes is taken as"eat as much meat and fat as you want. Cavemen ate mammoth fat constantly."

However, for some, that will not help long term living. For instance, the APOE genotype you have determines how you process cholesterol. If you have the APOE 4 in you, your body will have higher levels, even on a mostly pant based diet. If you are APOE 2, you can eat more fat and meat, and have lower levels.

I have the APOE 3/4, so my previous Paleo diet was inflammatory. I would eat an egg or two, with yolks, some fish, and some cabbage and garlic for breakfast. Grains came after the meat, fish, and veggies. Btw, I am lactose intolerant. And alcohol cause some burning sensation. fun...

In short, one person's Paleo may not be another's Paleo. The Mediterranean Diet may have too much fat and alcohol for some, like me.

But, eating vegetables, minimal processed foods, minimal sugar, etc...will help keep weight down, and give vitamins and other minerals.

As far as working out to stay fit, calculate the amount of exercise to burn a glass of wine and/or one extra peanut butter sandwich. It's eye opening. The original poster has kids, so I doubt he can work out 1.5 hours 6 times a week. The correct type of Paleo will help keep weight off.

So how do you determine what type you are or where you fall on the spectrum?

• Like 1

Avacado's even look nasty. Guakamole or what ever. Ukk! .................BOB!

• Like 1