AZ8

Who loves the wind?

Tough conditions yesterday in 4A. I bet the wind was blowing 50mph all day! Trying to locate morning birds was futile. Hen calling was worthless. My partner, just 50 yards away asked if I was even calling. He couldn't even hear my calls! Lol

Think that was the windiest turkey hunt for me ever.

At least 2 tags fill in our camp on Friday before the windstorm.

How did everyone else fare?

2 tags filled in our group on Friday. Today they were gobbling but had another hunter move in. Oh well, at least this morning was decent.

heard some gobblin but they didn't seem to be interested

last week during youth hunt they were way more active to calls

yes it was a windy weekend

Saturday was terribly windy in 5A. Couldn't hear anything, let alone a turkey responding to calls. Yesterday morning heard nothing. No gobbles at all. Got to hunting area at 5:20am and hunted until 10:30. Tried at least 5 different spots within about a 10 mile radius. Very dry. Where did the turkeys go? I had the same exact hunt last year and they were gobbling all morning.

• Like 1

hate the wind!

located gobblers Saturday and Sunday morning.

2 hrs of trying to get 3 gobblers into our set up... had a lonely hen come in from behind us... she was really vocal but must of seen us and didn't go to the gobblers that were in front of us.... they came into what sounded like 70 yds or so but wouldn't commit.

Sunday located again... coyote came through about 15 minutes in and pushed them out a bit farther, but they started coming closer then a hen popped up right next to us at 7 yards in the thick stuff... no toms in sight. both mornings they were really vocal for 2 1/2 hours. What a blast though... I really need to go to a seminar. the hen came in to a pot call with some purrrs.

was fun in the mornings.

James

• Like 1

I slept in today, because I couldn't handle another day in the blind battling 50 mph wind. This is the most wind I have ever seen on a Turkey hunt!!!!!

• Like 3

Saturday was terribly windy in 5A. Couldn't hear anything, let alone a turkey responding to calls. Yesterday morning heard nothing. No gobbles at all. Got to hunting area at 5:20am and hunted until 10:30. Tried at least 5 different spots within about a 10 mile radius. Very dry. Where did the turkeys go? I had the same exact hunt last year and they were gobbling all morning.

Me as well. Was up in 5A and scouted several areas. Very, very windy. Couldn't hear any birds. Hoping this weekend will be different.

Sunday morning in 5a was beautiful , not one gobble! One half the hunters say it's over, the other half say it hasn't started. What's the consensus amongst the turkey pros?

Today is horrible! Looking like this coming weekend will be more of the same.

From all my friends here in eastern AZ,the bird hunting this weekend was spectacular. Where we were at, didn't kill one yet, but were gobbling good but were really henned up bad. Couldn't get any to break away. Even on saturday with the wind, we found toms to work.

Brian

• Like 1

Found birds opening morning. Wife killed her first gobbler by 630. Came into a decoy and took him at about 10-15 yards. It was right before the wind picked up.

Saturday was windy from the get go. Had a tom roosted who came in strutting as soon as he hit the ground. Passed on him. Ended up calling in two more birds and took the last one called in. It was very windy, but they were very responsive to calls and came in well.

Hop over the state line and it was a completely different story in New Mexico. Toms were not talking and no success after AZ. Makes a guy appreciative for what we have here in this great state.

One of the groups that I got into had hens with the gobblers. I heard gobblers on Friday morning and Sunday morning of the three days that I was out there. Those mornings also happened to be when there was the least wind.

Sunday morning in 5a was beautiful , not one gobble! One half the hunters say it's over, the other half say it hasn't started. What's the consensus amongst the turkey pros?

Today is horrible! Looking like this coming weekend will be more of the same.

I'm no where near a pro but turkey are very vocal birds they talk all year and can be called in all year round it's never over.