Sign in to follow this  
Azbronco96

Shot lion-need help tracking

Epic fails

300ultramag, how'd that lion in your avatar turn out?

Ok- so we finally got the lion out of the bottom of a pretty steep canyon. I left work Wed @1 pm and headed up the hill to help. Meanwhile my buddy finally got to the lion at the bottom of Naegelin canyon Wed afternoon and gutted it. However even with help from another friend they couldn't get it out of there.

Once they got back to the truck- flat tire. Changed the tire- drove back out and we met after dark at the campground but it was too late to do anything else that day. We went and got a room for the night.

Thursday morning he went to Show Low to replace the tire- bought some ropes and a pulley block and headed back to the canyon. Two of us took a Teflon plastic sheet and made our way down to the lion. It hadn't been eaten on and since it was cold the meat smelled good. So we strapped the lion in the sheet like a burrito and started out of the canyon with it.

We tied a rope to the lion burrito we just made and tied the pulley block to a tree 80 ft or so up the hilland pulled it straight up the hill. Reset the pulley and did it again. 16 times to get that lion out. I figured it was about 1300 ft vertical to get that lion to the top and then another 1/8 mile to the truck.

By the time he got it skinned out and to the taxidermist it was about 9 pm. Toughest retrieval I have ever been on by far. No way- no how was it not coming out of there though.

I am not the best at posting pics- though I'm told I'm a pretty fair pack mule. 😎

Pics as soon as I can.

• Like 6

Wow what a hunt!!!!! ................buuuuuuuuttttttt I still want a pic of the kitty. I'll let you in a little secret. These grumpy CWT guys won't believe you until they see a picture . Just a heads up

• Like 4

Did the lion weigh 300 pounds or what? I've seen some pretty dang big cats get packed out of some nasty canyons. With the weather as warm as it was when he killed it I'm surprised it didn't spoil.

AND we still want a pic

Seems like boning that sucker out could have saved you all a lot of work. Glad you got it done. If you text me pics I will post for you.

• Like 1

How do I post pics? -I have them on my phone and can email them, but can't seem to attach them to the post.

Scroll to the bottom, click full version then when adding post click more options

Did the lion weigh 300 pounds or what? I've seen some pretty dang big cats get packed out of some nasty canyons. With the weather as warm as it was when he killed it I'm surprised it didn't spoil.

AND we still want a pic

The hair is falling out of the lion hide while we wait for pics.
  • Like 2

Holy cow. U all r acting like u have never seen a pic of a dead lion before

• Like 1