Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

Goulds success

Well this year my dad drew a Goulds Turkey tag. He drew the second hunt which started April 29. We arrive Thursday about mid day set up camp and head out to try and roost some birds. No luck roosting any birds that night but we were going to be up early opening morning to hopefully locate them. We didn't see or hear anything until about 8am when we saw a small flock walking off in the opposite direction. We sat down I busted out the box call and started to call, well that only made it worse and they moved further away now in a hurry. After that we decided to pack away the box call and stick to the mouth call only. More calling and a few hours later we decide to pack it in, check some trail cameras we had set up a month prior and eat lunch. 2:30 rolls around and we are up and driving back out to where we saw the birds that morning. We knew which direction they headed and that they would be coming back to roost, so we decided sit down and wait it out. About an hour before sunset we catch a small Tom sneak in on us about 100 yards out. We watched him walk away from us into the trees. The plan was roost a bird come back in the morning. About 40 minutes now before sunset we hear some gobbles coming from behind us.

I begin to softly call back and the Tom immediately responds. Well we had to make a quick move since he was behind us to try and call him in. It was the perfect situation I call he calls back and forth each time getting closer. He got to about 150 yards of us and suddenly the area around us comes alive. We have 4 different toms responding In 4 different directions. As we are so focused on the bird that is being so vocal and coming closer we ignore the other birds around us. 10 more minutes go by, I just so happen to turn my head and see 10-12 hens looking at us about 25 yards away. I whisper "dad,dad,DAD" "WHAT" he says, I tell him move slowly look to your right. Next thing you know the hens are running in on us and stop only 5 yards from us. We stay still and after a minute standoff they turn around and slowly walk past us. Well only 30 seconds later we here a gobble right behind these hens just about to crest the hill. Sure enough those hens had a tom with them who was pulling up the rear. Seeing him at about 60 yards we wondered about taking the shot but knew we could. After some soft clucks and him clearing the last of the bushes before he hits the open spot, my dad turns and drops him with the 3 1/2in shot. I quickly run up the hill to stop him from doing the crazy flopping around and ruining his fan or any other feathers. After some High fives and pictures we headed back to camp and put the bird on ice ready to take to the taxi the next morning

He weighed 24lb, 10 1/2in beard and 1 1/4in Spurs.

post-11647-0-04048900-1462199415_thumb.jpg

post-11647-0-18415100-1462199429_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Nice man, congrats to you and your dad getting it done! Sounds like it was a great weekend!

• Like 1

Congrats to DAD. Good job..............BOB!

Congratulations on a big ole bird! That's some great Spurs for a Gould's.

Awesome congrats

Nothing like hunting with your dad. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your hunt with us. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Congrats from a NR with TWENTY points. Was out of the country and did not remember my app LONG ago :-(

Someday soon I will be in the Max pool!