Analogkid1014

Big Lake and Sunrise

I am heading to Big Lake and Sunrise next weekend for 4 days of fishing, just wondering if anyone has been out in the last few days and how the fishing has been, the reports have been pretty generic. Looking forward to getting boat out and hooking up with some nice hold overs. Last few years have been really good for large rainbows at Sunrise this time of year. Hoping to get on some again this year and some nice bows and cutthroats at Big Lake

• Like 1

Ya its pretty easy to catch the 14-18" trout, looking to target the bigger 20+ inch fish, not sure if we will spend more time at Sunrise or Big Lake. Probably base it on the wind

Always done well using bigger Rapala and Yozuri Pin Minnow/crystal Minnows (suspending or countdown) with salmon eggs on rear hooks for bigger guys at Big lake, Always preferred the Big Wet Flies at Sunrise ... Got a new rig I want to try out in early June when I make it up to big lake.

I have had luck with those bait as well, never tried the salmon eggs on the rear hooks though. I have some new techniques i will be trying out next weekend, well see if they produce larger fish or not, cant hurt to try. will be making a trip to Sportmans on Wednesday to load up on some tackle. Never had to much luck for big fish at Big Lake but i know they are in there. Might fish Horseshoe for some browns saturday evening

Good Luck man, I wish I was doing the same this weekend! Please report back on how it goes.

Love fishing horseshoe when the ice first clears off and there is still snow on the ground. Those browns are always extra hungry that time of year. Same goes for Reservation lake

Good Luck

• Like 1

My son and I just got back from a combo turkey hunt/ fishing trip up there. Big Lake was on fire. Troll a Crickhopper or Rebel Crawdad and limit out in 1-11/2 hr. on nice football shaped rainbows. Hope it's not windy for you.

• Like 1

For Sunrise try out purple colored flies and lures. Whenever I fish at Sunrise there are always hoards of purple colored dragon flies

• Like 1

My son and I just got back from a combo turkey hunt/ fishing trip up there. Big Lake was on fire. Troll a Crickhopper or Rebel Crawdad and limit out in 1-11/2 hr. on nice football shaped rainbows. Hope it's not windy for you.

what color crick hoppers were you using? We usually use Black and Gold or the Olive with Red when we resort to them.

yellow or brown/copper tone seemed best but people all over were catching fish- not sure it matters. Fishing was great from boat and shore!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Guys, heading up Thursday morning, I will report back on how the fishing was and what seemed to work the best for us

Crick hopper and crawdad have worked as long as I been Fishing There. Allways My go to lure.............Good luck all.............BOB!

Rapala CD-5 in firetiger or black/silver