Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Bino harness

With my Leica Geovid HD-B and Leupold Gold rings I never had an issue since I use a size larger than FHF recommends. First bought a large and could not quickely pull out my geovids with an arrow nocked.

Only serious issue I had with AGC was the buckle would hit my binos sometimes and a coyote heard and froze at 110 yards when calling for a friend wanting to get his first coyote. Made for a good broadside shot. If you go with AGC get their new hook and bungee system. Glad they listened to me and others and fixed this flaw.

I did see some complants from a guy using one of the models of vortex binos but not another model. This was with FHF and AGC sice they line thier pouches with similair fabrics. Think all cordura needs a few weeks of breakin to make them quiet. Since I have the Geovids I pull out my binos to rangefind before shots. Had 3 different whitetail bucks feeding together last year at 40 yards I ranged. No shot due to brush. Had 6 other occasions with mule deer within 60 yards with no issue.

Sorry I live up north and avoid phoenix.

As you can see the harness is nice and thin and rides similar to a crooked horn without the bounce or the sag and drag on the ground when crawling.

4th picture down shows how to tuck the lid for quick access which is not possible with the AGC.

post-13313-0-88889500-1463450691_thumb.jpg

post-13313-0-35214700-1463450750_thumb.jpg

post-13313-0-77975200-1463450819_thumb.jpg

post-13313-0-76218300-1463450900_thumb.jpg

post-13313-0-26039400-1463450966_thumb.jpg

post-13313-0-01477000-1463451033_thumb.jpg

Great photos, thanks a ton for taking the time. I did notice in looking at both websites and product videos that the FHF appears to sit flatter, especially when compared to the AGC unit. At the very least, I'm probably going to buy his ballistic RF pouch since the one I have is an older Leica Rangemaster and selling it for a smaller unit really doesn't make too much sense to me. For the moment I managed to pick up another Kuiu for cheap and I'm going to see what I can do to modify the upper strap system to support the case and binos. This would solve the problem of it slipping down after I remove the optic but I also like the additional small pockets on the FHF and AGC. So it may just be an experiment. Again, thanks for putting pictures with the words, helps a lot.

I'm pretty surprised no one mentioned the Horn Hunter bino harness. I absolutely love that thing. It was tough deciding between the AGC, FHF and Horn Hunter. I might have been sold on the Horn Hunter because I was able to put hands on it locally, but I have been more than happy with it. I would have loved all the pockets on the AGC, but the pocket on the King's is decent enough. It lets me keep my tags, licenses, a lens cleaning pen, lighter, and a couple other small items in it. The biggest selling point was that I can attach the range finder on it in two locations, one for quick access and the other for hiking. I turned away from the FHF solely because I didn't like how much the bino's were exposed on the sides. Coverage is definitely best in the AGC, but I love the range finder feature on the Horn Hutner. Can't go wrong with any of the three though. I'm right there with you Pac8541 on the camo pattern. I'm a total fanboy for Sitka, so it was tough buying one that didn't match up. I actually bought the Sitka bino harness first, but that thing was terrible.

So I picked up a used Kuiu harness with the idea of ghetto fabbing it to address the one major issue I have with this specific harness: having the pouch slip down my chest after removing the binos from it. In the past, I've had to support the underside of the pouch to reinsert the binos which didn't make a lot of sense given that's one of the main purposes of the harness. We'll see how it holds up but this took me less then $10 and a half hour.

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

I left the original design alone so the top straps coming off the back of the harness still attach directly to the binos. I added webbing to the wide part of those straps, ran them through another set of side release buckles, and attached the female end to the back side of the pouch. This allows me to adjust the length of those straps through the male side of the SR buckles and support the pouch separately from the binos. I looks a little strappy but its essentially the same design as what's found on the AGC unit but without the machine sewing. Or the extra storage space. That last fact alone may cause me to abandon this project.