Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Unit 23 New Mexico Mule Deer

Thought I'd see if anyone drew the same tag. It was my first time putting in for an out of state tag so I'm going to assume the odds were not that bad if I got one first time. I already did all my Google map searching and took on trip to learn the lay of the land, do little scouting and put up some cameras. Will probably do at least one/two more trips before the hunt. I did find deer but I don't know what the crowds are like once the season starts. Anyone have experience of where the crowds are? I have an archery tag that is the month of September and first half of January. Also would mind exchanging info with someone that is going to be up there incase they need help with anything. Thanks

I have the same archery tag. I will be in there the first two weeks of Sept.. Send me a PM. Here is what I can tell you from the last two years elk hunting in there. You will see more elk hunters than elk or deer. If you hear bugling the few elk in there are not doing it but hunters are. The roads will be driven every day by about 20 different vehicles. That unit usually has left over tags that get sold after the draw. I will be checking out some other parts of the unit over the summer.

Saw a monster in there 2 years ago

Was scouting for a coues hunt though

• Like 1

thanks for the info. does anyone have any experience with the private land owners in the unit? Pro hunting? anyone every been allowed on property if asked permission?

I've hunted that unit 3 times. Always seen more bears and lions then mature bucks. But have seen a few decent ones. There will be lots of road hunters but it's not hard to get away from them. We always hunted between Glenwood and Alma, all the way to the state line.

I hunted the unit years ago and saw a really nice buck down south of Mule Creek against the private land. The ranch down there had a cowboy that rode the property line making sure no one crossed. That was his job for the week.

Yes there are deer and Lions and bears and plenty of hunters. The New Mexicans seem to road hunt and drink Beer. Hike and get away from them and You mite find a good Buck. Take Bear and lion tags if its stilll open and You can afford them..Good luck .............BOB!

Thats why the New Mexicans shoot dinks or have a hangover on the 2nd day of the hunt and get scunked...LOL............BOB!

You can't really call it beer since most cans say "Budweiser". I have seen it though in Unit 24. When ML and archery season overlapped I was high on a ridge with a road about 1/2 mile below me. I was watching a truck on the road with two bowhunters in the bed doing about 10 mph. The funny thing is they drove right past about 10 deer without even seeing them. So I stalked down there and shot the buck about 60 yards off the road.

• Like 2

I read through the regs page by page trying to find the rules on using Budweiser as a decoy or bait to keep hunters away from me while hunting but I came up empty....

On a not so sarcastic note...what are the rules on salt/mineral blocks/baits or any of the sort in NM? Unless I missed it I could not find anything on that.

Found it...

• Take or attempt to take game species by the aid of baiting or scenting. Knowingly take or attempt to take game species in a baited or scented area, except quail on private land. Individuals may use scent-masking agents on their person, but these agents may not be used to attract game species.

thanks for the info. does anyone have any experience with the private land owners in the unit? Pro hunting? anyone every been allowed on property if asked permission?

That's a big unit. My grandparents ranch was between Bayard and Gage. It stinks but it's common for the ranchers to put out No Hunting and No Trespassing signs even where there were public right of ways and leased land from the state and Feds. IE, the old folks place was on 78000 acres but only 640 acres was private the rest leased from the state and public.

Get an up to date land ownership map and wouldn't hurt to obtain the wardens name and cell number in case something came up.

Since I am a HE Instructor here I get to talk to wardens all the time. If you spray a cotton ball with elk or deer urine and pin it to your clothes you are legal, take it off and pin it to a tree you are illegal. Spray a buck bomb and you are illegal. Also if a rancher puts out a salt lick for cows by water you are not considered baiting by the wardens. If you use a horse to block yourself to sneak up on an animal like they do antelope up in WY it is illegal. All the laws are not in the proclamation but if you follow it you should be good for the most part.