Sign in to follow this  
Splatt

Shot distances in NM unit 23

Of you guys that have taken shots and or, hit or missed, what's been the distance of these shots taken ?

Trying to see where I need to be on cartridge choice.

I've hunted 23 for years and it all depends on the type of country you are hunting. The unit is very diverse, you can hunt the desert floor all the way up to ponderosa pine. Shot distances are what you make it shots across canyons can range from 300-1k+ or in the thick country can be less than 100

First time hunting the unit, and not sure what I'm getting into.

Google Earth is helping some.

The guys I'm going with have hunted it twice, so I'm relying on their knowledge mostly.

Was just asking to see how far is "normal", but you explained it well.

Probably similar to many AZ units for Coues. Anywhere from 5 to 1300 yards.

Use the rifle you are most comfortable and practiced with. Confidence and experience in your rifle trumps any of the super calibers if you don't know where the bullet is going.

• Like 1

I had a muzzy tag there 2 years ago. My shot was 176 yards. Was in your pretty typical coues country. Big open country.

I think my coues from 23 was about 240. We were at 800 so I hiked down and back up a 800' canyon that took about 1.5 hrs. But my buddy sat on 3 bucks at 600 trying to decide what to do when 2 other hunters came in from above and shot 1 of the bucks and scared the other two off. This was before "long range" rifles became more of the norm.

• Like 1

I've gone there twice this year scouting so far and what everyone says is correct. I've been in the pines, out in the flats, rolling hills and looking across huge canyons..I've seen deer every time and would present shots across the board.