CouesWhitetail

Please welcome Game Planner Maps as a new sponsor!

Please welcome Game Planner Maps as a sponsor of CouesWhitetail.com. Game Planner Maps is owned by Ed Vergin and was founded in 2014 and based in Chandler AZ. Ed has created a great resource for our hunting community! You can use his Map Viewer to research and print your own hunting maps….all for free! But you can get more features and access by signing up for premium membership. With premium membership you get the tools to create unlimited custom digital maps with all kinds of extra information on them and load it on your phone for just $10 for individual state memberships. This system turns your phone into a GPS with custom base map, with no need for a signal and it even works on airplane mode. You can also purchase custom maps with a free consultation and input on the finished product. This is not your standard off-the-shelf map! It’s printed on water, tear, UV, and abrasion resistant media. Additionally, Game Planner DIY Maps are perfect for budget-minded hunters who want to design their own maps and then have them printed on the same tough media that can stand up to time in the field!

Ed provides all kinds of layers of data that can be added to your maps. Plot out the best Coues Deer habitat on a custom map of your hunting area! Add all the land ownership boundaries, plot out water resources, wilderness areas, vegetation types, big game ranges, and much more. It’s amazing to have so much data at your finger tips. And Ed is there to help you make the most useful map for you! This is truly a great resource for the DIY public land hunter!

Game Planner Maps will be working with the Arizona Deer Association in 2016. We will be donating products for their fundraising efforts. In fact, Ed will be at the AZ Deer Association banquet on Saturday the 21st and will be demonstrating his mapping tools. So look for him and see what his products can do for you!

Game Planner TV is on the horizon. It will be a collection of tutorial videos for using our map products before and during the hunt, free to all registered users.

If you would like to get a membership or print a custom map, you can get 10% off Maps and 30% off Memberships with coupon code CouesBuck! So now is a great time to sign up!

I am sure Ed will post here and answer questions you might have about his products. But feel free to go over to his website and check out the free Map Viewer.

Many thanks to Ed for creating such a useful resource that I am sure many hunters will benefit from!

http://gameplannermaps.com/index.php

Here are a few reviews from other people:

Joe Ferraro “ Indian Summer” and owner of Headin’ West Hunt Consulting

wrote on Wapiti Talk

“Well... Ed has only been a sponsor for 5 days but I am already to give you my 2 cents on his Game Planner Maps program. Maybe you've already ready the welcome post but I figured I'd take a minute and put one down here.

First of all I'm no computer genius. By no means computer illiterate but more of a Fred Flintstone than a George Jetson. So if something is really nice..... but I have to read instructions or practice for a week to be comfortable with it then forget it. I'll stick to my old dog tricks. I'll admit that I was a little skeptical at first because lately there have been lots of new mapping companies and products for sale. But as with any Wapiti Talk sponsor I owed it to him to have a look and give it a fair chance.

In less than 15 minutes I was cruising right along. In 20 minutes I had a big smile on my face and told the wife I had just made an incredible discovery. There aren't really that many controls to learn how to use. Click the box to add a map layer and then click on the half moons to make that layer lighter or darker. Boom done.

Then start experimenting with different fade levels on the individual layers and see how they effect each other. The detail and clarity of the aerial view layer is really awesome even zoomed in close. You can pull up Imagery Topo which I use to put blue lines on my aerial so I can clearly see where all the water is. That helps you more easily envision the high and low areas..... the ridgetops and the bottoms.

Last but not least you can add the contour lines over all of that and fade them in and out to where you like them. So now you can see the real life views and be able to spot the subtle benches, bottlenecks and other geographic features that you just can't see when you're looking at a bunch of trees with some openings.

To me the Game Planner Maps over rides everything else. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually deleted my links to Google Earth and CalTopo. Game Planner has everything you need and is fully interactive. Did I mention it's all free? Yeah. Everything you need to effectively view your hunting areas is free. If you want to go a step further you can subscribe to the premium versions where you can see all kinds of stats and analytics on your maps, customize and download, and print them etc. You can also buy those maps on the nice waterproof material printed on both sides if you want.

There's more there than I can remember to mention but the bottom line is it has it all and is easy to use. The best programs I've ever seen. Click on his banner and give it a look yourself. Whether your area is old or if you are learning a new spot this scouting tool is sure to help you put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Can you tell I'm excited? it isn't very often I buy or even try new things anymore. As you young whippersnappers say... It's the bomb! I gotta go now. I was on Game Planner a few minutes ago on the Live Sat Viewer layer watching a herd of elk moving to their beds and I want to see where they ended up. Just kidding.... only the government does that kind of stuff!

Ed Rogalski “Teeton” wrote on Bowsite

Been playing around with Game Planner's mapping system for a month or so.. I think it is well worth everyone look in to them. They can build you some very good maps to ur specs.. I will be using them when I know 100% what I'm doing this fall.. The owner name is Ed Vergin, I called to ask a question and he was of great help. He really spent a lot of time explaining the system to me.

I looked at a lot of other map systems and think Game Planner is the best all in one I've seen.

Rory Janicke wrote

“Had to share this with you Wild Western AT'ers. Wait till you get a load of this site and what is offered! The owner/operator, head cook and bottle washer Ed is as knowledgeable, helpful, and as good as they come. Enjoy! RJ www.gameplannermaps.com

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

heck yah! ill check it out his weekend. welcome to the CW

Hello, my name is Ed Vergin. I am the owner of Game Planner Maps. I live in Arizona and have a Masters Degree in GIS and do a little Wildlife Biology when I'm not hunting or making maps. I started this venture in 2014 with the goal of providing the ultimate map resource for DIY public land hunters. Its predicated on making hunting maps and spatial data readily available to the outdoorsmen who need it. Game Planner Maps provides a complete system of maps and map products. Game Planner provides tools for desktop scouting and in-field use. The centerpiece of the system is the Game Planner Map Viewer. The Map Viewer is a series of interactive maps that illustrates nearly all the relevant data one would use for planning and executing a season worth of hunts. Currently I have individual Map Viewers for AZ, CO, IA, ID, MT, NE, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA and WY. In the Future I plan to expand my line-up to many of the states east of the Rockies. Whats unique about The Game Planner Map Viewer is that it's 100% FREE! Users can research hunting areas and use our comprehensive list of layers to plan their draw strategy, research OTC hunts, e-scout, and even design and print unlimited maps for FREE!

Below is a sample of the layers on each map viewer:
GMU Boundaries
Surface Water
Springs/Seeps
Roads and Trails
Surface Ownership
Fire History
Wilderness Areas
Seasonal Game Ranges for Elk and Deer
USGS Topographic Base maps with Hillshade
High Resolution Aerials
Terrain Maps

Game Planner Maps also provides a Premium Map Viewer. The Premium Map Viewer gives you all of the features of the Free Map Viewer plus a growing catalog of statistics illustrated on our interactive maps. This means you do not have to pour through volumes of spreadsheets looking for success rates or hunter numbers, and I'm making designs for including draw statistics in the future. The real standout feature of the Premium Map Viewer is the Geo-enabled PDFs. Every map you design and download from the Premium Map Viewer is compatible with the Free Avenza PDF Maps mobile app. The PDF Maps app is used extensively by the USFS, BLM, and numerous state and local agencies to send agents into the field with accurate and up to date maps. This application turns your mobile device into a GPS with a custom topo or aerial base map; with no need for a cell signal, it even works on airplane mode. I've used the PDF maps app to measure distance, log way-points, record tracks, and even plot stalks. This platform effectively gives you unlimited mobile maps on demand. You choose the base map, and any of the layers in our database and in a matter of minutes you have a custom base map loaded to your phone or tablet. Memberships are very reasonably priced; One years access to all of the states I have mapped is only $39.99. If you just want one state its $9.99.

I also make pre-made Digital Maps for the PDF Maps app. Each one covers one game management unit and includes:

Unit Boundaries
Surface Water
Roads and Trails
Wilderness Boundaries
and a modified Surface ownership layer showing Private, Indian Reservation, National Parks, and other areas closed to hunting.
All on a 1:24,000 scale USGS topographic base map

I dialed back the surface ownership to keep the maps as clean as possible. I'm a public land hunter and I just want to know the areas I need to avoid.
Digital maps are only $9.99 and once you buy them they are yours forever. There is no membership associated with them.
They are delivered via electronic download, so as soon as you complete your transaction you have your map. If you can work with zip files and have a google drive or dropbox account your good to go!

If your a traditional map guy; I make the toughest paper maps you can find. They are custom to each individual, printed on both sides of the sheet, and resist water, tears, UV light, and the demands of years of back country hunting. I call them bomb proof, you could easily use one as a temporary shelter in a downpour and the map would be no worse for wear. Custom Maps start at $49.99 and are perfect if you love a traditional map. Each Custom Map comes with a free phone consultation and I offer you a draft review before I print it. I want you to get the map you need. Of course you can forgo the consultation and order them directly from my website. Turn around is generally two to three weeks depending on how many maps I have on order.

Register with a valid email and check out the Free Map Viewer. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL INBOX/SPAM FOR A CONFIRMATION EMAIL

Once your registered, Login to your account and take the Premium Map Viewer for a test drive with a Free Trial Membership and decide if unlimited mobile maps on demand is for you!

Thanks

-Ed

post-14524-0-81163200-1463769264_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very Cool.

However as a full blown map-aholic this is going to severely cut into my time spent on coueswhitetail.com. I hope Amanda will understand. :D

• Like 2

I'll be posting up a few examples of the different maps that I provide.

This is a map generated from the Arizona Premium Map Viewer.

Layers include:

1. Forest Roads
  2. Forest Trails
  3. Waterbodies
  4. Springs/Seeps

It is on a USGS 7.5' Topographic base map. I printed the map at 1:42000 scale which allows for good detail on the base map and ~200 mi² of coverage.

I used the Digital Map template which is only available on the Premium Map Viewer.

Its GeoEnabled so It works with the Free Avenza PDF Maps app to turn your mobile device into a GPS. It took me longer to write this post than it did to layout, print, and download the map.

I stash all my GeoPDFs and Digital Maps on my GoogleDrive or Dropbox.com account. The Avenza PDF Maps app is configured to link directly to dropbox, which makes importing your maps easy.

post-14524-0-45855400-1463773961_thumb.jpg

Click here to view the full size map

The Premium Map Viewer is a desktop tool and is great for securing maps for places your scouting or visiting the first time.

Game Planner Digital Maps and the Avenza PDF Maps app allow you to collect all the in-field data as you would with a traditional GPS.

You can easily log way points, track your path, take photos and see them on your map, plot stalks, estimate distance, and see your location on the map. And you do not need a signal to use it.

When your finished in the field, PDF Maps can export all the data you collected to KMZ so you can view it in Google earth or store in on your PC for future use.

Premium Memberships start at only $9.99 for a single state, and CWTers get 30% off memberships with coupon CouesBuck

• Like 1

This is a tile from the Game Planner Digital Map of Unit 6A

Each Digital Map covers an entire unit at 1:24,000 scale and includes:

1. Unit Boundaries
  2. Surface Water
  3. Springs/Seeps
  4. Roads and Trails
  5. Wilderness Boundaries
  6. Modified Surface ownership layer showing Private, Indian Reservation, National Parks, and other areas closed to hunting.

Digital Maps are only $9.99 and you do not need a membership to purchase them. They are delivered via instant download and come in a .zip file.

I offer Digital Maps for 36 different units in Arizona. If you don't see the one you want just email me ed@gameplannermaps.com and I'll get it made and add it to the line-up.

Digital Maps work with the Avenza PDF Maps mobile app.

post-14524-0-60826900-1463775494_thumb.jpg

Click here to download and view the full size map

• Like 1

This is a Game Planner DIY Map of Unit 32.

It includes:

1. Surface Ownership
  2. Roads and Trails
  3. Wilderness Boundary
  4. Surface Water
  5. Springs and Seeps
  6. USGS 7.5' topo base map printed at 1:36,000 scale and covers ~ 120 mi²

DIY Maps are custom maps you create yourself from the Free and Premium Map Viewers.

They Measure 21X27" and the scale is set by the user. You can overlay the layers you need for your hunt or scouting trip.

They are printed on both sides so you can mix and match units and states.

Simply use the map viewer to print and download the PDF of the maps and attach it to a GAME PLANNER DIY MAP product order.

I print the map for you on the same bomb proof water and tear resistant synthetic media. DIY Maps are $39.99 but CWTers get 10% off with coupon CouesBuck

Turn around is generally two weeks or less.

post-14524-0-33641600-1463776971_thumb.jpg

Click here to view the full size map

• Like 1

Welcome to coueswhitetail and becoming a sponsor. I'm sure your product is going to go over big time. Can't wait to check out some of what you have to offer. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Thanks TJ, hopefully everyone will find something useful on my website. And now when people show up asking for info on a unit everyone can just send them to Game Planner!

For those who hunt leftovers every year it can be a gamble not knowing what tag you will draw. Read about my 2016 leftover hunt and some of the ways I used Game Planner Products to punch my tag.

Click here for a tutorial on printing and downloading maps from the Map Viewers

I believe the ability to use and print maps from the Free Map Viewer is what sets Game Planner Maps apart from other online hunting map services.

Not everyone has access to a plotter or large format printer. Anyone can use the Free Map Viewer to print maps like the letter size layout below.

You just need to Register for free and check your email inbox/spam folder for your confirmation email.

post-14524-0-32642000-1463778409_thumb.jpg

A couple updates/notes:

1. I'm in the process of updating all the forest roads layers so they closely reflect the MVUM roads as classified by the USFS. Once a complete dataset of the official MVUM roads are released I will publish them as well.
  2. All Big Game Ranges are approximate, think of them as broad strokes. I gathered them from RMEF, wafwa, and state game and fish agencies and they are generally used for survey purposes.
  3. Game Planner Maps has limitations and one of them is the Base Layers. Most of them are maintained by USGS and their reliability is generally good. However, occasionally you may experience slower response times or interruptions in service. For the most part the USGS Topo and Imagery base maps are very dependable.
  • Like 1

I am leading a group of 400 people on a 3 day hike next month near Happy Jack. Of course the area we were hung was right on the border of two USGS 7.5' topo's. I posted about it and Amanda put me in touch with Ed.

I was able to set a print range and zoom level on my maps and then use the markup tools to mark the hike route and campsites. After placing the order Ed called me for more information and then enhanced the map to better show my markups. To top it off, Ed lives nearby and offered to meet up and let me review the map to make sure it was what I needed before printing eight of them.

Ed is obviously a guy who loves what he does and knows his stuff. I love maps and can hardly wait to get some made for this falls hunts.

Being able to load a map on my phone is huge, and with the Avenza app you can turn on your tracks and then export them to a kmz file to show them on google earth. So basically I have a new favorite toy.

• Like 1

400 people on a 3 day hike! Yikes! Herding cats comes to mind.

All jokes aside. Great web site and welcome. I didn't know about you till the other day when someone asked about map printing. (now that I think about it... great marketing ploy :) )

• Like 1

Ed seriously knows about mapping software and creating a great custom product. I have already learned a lot about GIS and other mapping software in my phone calls with him. In addition, he went out of his way to create a tutorial for a GIS program I was using for my other business as a wildlife biologist. If any of you have mapping questions or needs, please don't hesitate to call Ed. He can surely help you create something super useful for you. Even if you aren't sure what you want, give him a call and he will be able to help you find the best resources for you. Thank you for becoming a sponsor Ed!

http://gameplannermaps.com/index.php

• Like 1

400 people on a 3 day hike! Yikes! Herding cats comes to mind.

All jokes aside. Great web site and welcome. I didn't know about you till the other day when someone asked about map printing. (now that I think about it... great marketing ploy :) )

That was me. I think I even said, guess I couldn't have tee'd that up any better.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for making us aware of such a great product!!! I have been fooling around with the free version and have several questions about water. The springs you show, is that USGS data? Also, do you have water catchments marked, or is such a thing available on the paid version?

As soon as I know if I've drawn a tag, I will be very interested in a printed map!!!!

Many thanks again!!!!

Hi Ed,

Thanks for making us aware of such a great product!!! I have been fooling around with the free version and have several questions about water. The springs you show, is that USGS data? Also, do you have water catchments marked, or is such a thing available on the paid version?

As soon as I know if I've drawn a tag, I will be very interested in a printed map!!!!

Many thanks again!!!!

Thanks Amanda and everyone else for the kind words. It's exciting to see so many people that find my maps useful.

Hike4, Yes, all the springs/seeps and waterbodies are from USGS. The data isn't always complete but its pretty dang close. Is some instances a spring may have dried up or is seasonal. I'm on the fence about publishing the water catchments. But the data is in my possession and I invested a lot of time to digitize it, so in the end it will probably happen.

I'm happy everyone likes the Map Viewer. I encourage you to try the Free Premium Trial and see if you like making maps for your phone. Its exclusive to Registered Users and you have to be signed in to access it. Its risk free, no CC needed. The PDF Maps app and Digital Maps are awesome in the field and make collecting, analyzing, and even sharing data easy.

• Like 1