Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

Escudilla and Baldy next?

As I understand it, the last AZ grizz was killed on Escudilla. There's some scratchings on rocks down on the Blue from one of the last known trappers who caught/killed most of the last wolves and griz in there.

I'm a little on the fence here. I'm not a big fan of the wolf re-introduction and how it's been handled. However, if there ever is a place to re-introduce the grizzly, it's the Blue Range. I don't see them nearly as dangerous to livestock and game as the wolves have been, and it sure would be cool to see one in the wild.

That said, there's a lot of politics involved in re-introducing species. We could see it used to block access to areas where they are being repopulated and monitored. Any access limitations are something I'm very against.

If done correctly, without loss of access, I could be behind this move.

If you had property or ran cattle in the blue wilderness you would say otherwise. That is ground zero for the hybrid wolf reintroduction, and the land is yet to recover from that. last thing we need is bears that have NEVER been native to az released in to the blue.Look at Montana, the objective has been met/surpassed many times over and the state still can't manage them. If reintroduction is pushed for hunting purposes AZ will have yet another BS "endangered" untouchable species to deal with. Ben Lilly did us all a favoe by eradicating them. RIP. Tread lightly in this. Sonoran Grizzlies, which is the sub species we had in AZ, is extinct. Reintroducing ordinary grizzlies into an unsuspecting habitat would be detrimental. Saying you would be "behind it" is a selfish an uneducated response.

I certainly understand your position, but I'm unclear on a couple parts of your response. If they've never been native to AZ, how were they eradicated? And to say my response is selfish and uneducated, I think I described my issues with the wolf re-introduction clearly. I know full well of the dangers and possible loss of access caused by re-introduction of any species - don't get me started on the apache trout debacle.

With all due respect, how does my stance constitute either selfishness or being uneducated?

• Like 1

Sonoran Grizzlies were eradicated, the grizzlies that we have are not the same species as what used to roam AZ. Saying you would be behind reintroduction is the part that bothers me. Grizzlies have caused more issues in northwestern states as of late than i would care to see in AZ. We are already dealing with wolves in the blue, last thing we need is more granola eaters with a gps, tracking an animal that has no business being part of the landscape. Selfish due to the fact that the possibility of some day shooting a grizzly bear in Arizona outweighs the obvious negative effects they would bring

• Like 2

Fair enough - thanks for sharing your knowledge of this subject with us. BTW I've got some friends living in Blue so I know what a tight community it is down there and I certainly understand where you are coming from.

• Like 1

We need them dang wolves gone asap. Don't they actually look like coyotes when Your shooting.............SSS.......................BOB!

I'm not scared of much in the woods ( rattle snakes is about it just because I don't want to get bit) .......but if they put griz out where I am fond of hunting and grew up hunting . No thank you! I know generally speaking it won't be a problem but I can almost bet money they put some grizzly bears in Arizona someone is going to end up getting killed. I'm all for species "preservation" and in some cases re-establishment but not when you are talking about killing machines.

• Like 1

yep, I'm totally fine with going north if I want to see a a grizz. Those things are scary. I don't like the idea having to carry a handgun that needs it own backpack.

We allready do that in the Southern units..............BOB!

Im against it too. I spend too much time in 27 and am fine with seeing black bears every year, but I have no desire to be on the look out for their plus size cousins. I hike in and out in the dark and am already constantly checking my back trail over the cats and blackies, those wyoming and Montana boys can keep the brownies.