IHunt2live

Looking for advice in Unit 10

First let me start off with I know how these posts can get some worked up so I do this with reservations but like some I joined this site to share hunting stories/success and also share some knowledge.

Didn't think I was going elk hunting this year but my father-in-law (who is in his mid 70s) just got back from a road trip and found an early rifle bull tag for unit 10, his second choice, in his mailbox. I don't think he really knew what he was putting in for or all the access issues. Hes not looking for a monster and honestly I think he will shot any branched antlered bull a couple days into the hunt.

I feel like he going to depend on me to get him a bull and I have never set foot in the unit, nor has any of my regular hunting circle. I've begun a little research and have some ideas, looking forward to an elk hunt were I can utilize glass. Thinking about focusing on the south, southwest portion.

I will be making a few scouting trips this summer but any starting points/advise would be appreciated.

it shouldn't be hard to find bugling bulls in 10 before during and after the early rifle hunt .

Make sure you can access the main roads just about any late evening or early morning and hearing bugles shouldn't be a problem

just about any of the side roads off the 124 rd should hold no"s of elk in and around the meadows and tanks

the 6 rd -- the 7 rd the cataract canyon areas

now these are the most traveled areas but if you spend a little time and take the little side rds off these

you should be able to figure out a few hot spots

good luck - great tag

Wow, he could not have drawn a better tag. Congrats. Listen and chase is my advice. Unit 10 is full of elk.

Go ahead and get the Big Bo permit, no use cutting off 60% of the huntable land just to save $120 for the two of you.

I've never been to 10 either but I have the Unit mapped and that includes the Big BO boundary and Ranch Access Points. You can also use the interactive Game Planner Free Map Viewer to research the unit before you head-up to scout. Its free to use, just register with a valid email. I became a CWT sponsor a few days ago and would be happy to talk to you about my Map System and answer any questions you may have. Click here to read the my Sponsor Spotlight and learn more about what I can offer.

Thanks

Ed

You won't be able to access The Big Bo till the first week in August . I have been on 10 early rifle Bull hunts in unit 10.

Check your PM box!

You want to hunt the BO. Pm me if you want to know some good spots to check. There will probably be some guides in theses spots but that's no big deal. Just hunt em anyways. I practically lived in that unit for 10 plus years when I used to guide a lot.

• Like 3

My advice to you is more a request....please leave a couple dandy bulls for my niece and son who have late tags😉

You're going to have a blast on that hunt. Make the most of it!

• Like 1

I will be going up to scout in august/September, I have a cow tag for unit 10 in October. If anyone else has any more advice for the unit (its my first elk hunt) please let me know, thanks. Hunt2live if I see any areas with good bulls when I scout ill shoot you a pm

nice little herd of cows on my saddle last yr. first time I seen more than just a couple

love to see several yearlings

had a couple bulls next to my shed

post-3096-0-58308500-1464042123_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-42152000-1464042182_thumb.jpg

Hire Sir Royal , He is the man...................BOB!

Don't hunt south or west. 3 tags early rifle last year that I tagged along on..... Hunted 5 days fully guided.... Won't say by who because they sponsor this site. Hiked SOOO SOOO long and far every day, glassed our eyes out and we're almost bored to death. We heard 1 bugle the ENTIRE TIME and that's the bull we killed, small 6x6. Didn't see or hear any other elk the entire time. The guide told us the previous 2 weeks the archery Hunter had only seen a small group of elk. 10 is going to crap. I would stick closer to the 7w area if I were you. It was HORRIBLY BORING AND HOT. Don't hunt south or west. I could not believe some people wait almost 20 years to hunt there..... I would rather have 6a late rifle after my experience with it...... Don't forget..... We were FULLY GUIDED! By a reputable outfitter!

• Like 2

Don't hunt south or west. 3 tags early rifle last year that I tagged along on..... Hunted 5 days fully guided.... Won't say by who because they sponsor this site. Hiked SOOO SOOO long and far every day, glassed our eyes out and we're almost bored to death. We heard 1 bugle the ENTIRE TIME and that's the bull we killed, small 6x6. Didn't see or hear any other elk the entire time. The guide told us the previous 2 weeks the archery Hunter had only seen a small group of elk. 10 is going to crap. I would stick closer to the 7w area if I were you. It was HORRIBLY BORING AND HOT. Don't hunt south or west. I could not believe some people wait almost 20 years to hunt there..... I would rather have 6a late rifle after my experience with it...... Don't forget..... We were FULLY GUIDED! By a reputable outfitter!

That's crazy! I spent the majority of the archery season up there and saw hundreds of elk and lots of nice Bulls. I guess the moral of the story is, if you're not seeing elk....move!

• Like 1

I would check out the South and West portion of the unit.

• Like 2