GreyGhost85

Dear max point holders,........

This one might get me some guff out of some guys but it's a calculated gripe. 47 out of 117 max point holders alone applied for 22 last year. if those same 47 guys and only them keep applying for 22 every year, it will take around 10-16 years (depending on if the tag number stays at 2 or goes back up to 4) for just the max point holders to clear out of that unit. Add in the 24's and around 80 max holders will most likely be applying for 6 tags this year. the top end has been shot out of those units and they are killing bigger rams elsewhere that these max point holders could be guaranteed to draw. If the max holders would start spreading out a little bit it would really help a lot of the guys with say 25 and 26 BP's that at this rate my never draw a sheep tag. I know the point creep will never stop, and I personally never anticipate drawing a sheep tag but it sure would be nice to see some other guys have a good chance while they can still walk. To each their own i guess and I can't hate on a guy that only wants to hunt where he wants to hunt, but if some guys did a little more research it would sure help them, and a lot of good guys under them in BP's.

• Like 3

Shhhhhhhh. All the best rams are in 22 and 24....... Max guys should stay in those two units and only those two units.... Lol

• Like 2

There are still some absolute toads in those units.

• Like 1

I personaly wish G&F held a meeting for all max point holders for each species to help everyone spread out the units they are applying for. I feel if someone knew going into the draw they were guaranteed to draw a paticular unit they may decide to change their mind about a paticular unit. I feel this would help reduce the amount of top bonus point holders each year. If a large group of max point holders would agree to apply for seperate units from eachother we could definately reduce points much quicker!

Since I'm sure G&F won't do this it might be a good idea for a local hunting group to offer drawing classes prior to the draw. Maybe we can help eachother out on our own.

Maybe I'm understanding wrong but does it matter what units they put in for for the next point group to have a chance? As it is 20% of the top guys are getting tags every year. If they all apply for 22 and 24b and the 4 tags are given out then the system finds the guys that applied for other units and then once it looks at all the top point holders if there is still some of the 20% left it looks at the next group down. Not sure if that makes sense but let's say 100 top point holders apply for 22 and 24b. Only 4 of them draw. Then the system looks at the other 96 and says ok you didn't draw because all your tags are issued and moves to the next point group and does the same thing. While the top guys aren't gonna disappear quick I think there is probably some of those 25 and 26 point holders drawing in the 20% pass because they are applying for some of those easier to draw hunts. Now of course if you're not max and are wanting a 22 or 24b tag you'll probably never get it. I think it would only hurt the 25 and 26 point holders if the 27 point holders started applying elsewhere.

But then again I guess it depends what the other 47 guys besides the 80 are applying for. If those other 47 guys are fighting over the same tags in a couple other units my theory would be correct and tags would be left for 26 point guys in the bonus pass. And even If the other 47 spread out their choices and draw the other 14 available bonus pass tags (just estimating 100 sheep tags a year. There's actually a few more than that) within a few years all that will be left at top will be guys fighting over 22 and 24b and the 26 point guys can start getting the bonus pass tags.

Don't forget the auction hunters who generally hunt in those same units as well, which I think is why one went from 4 to 2 tags.

personally I think you should have to apply for at least 10 years in a row before before having a shot...this coming from 32 years...err now 33 years trying. It is a frustrating game!

• Like 4

i cant believe how consistent we are as hunters. dudes putting in since the 80's. only thing i can think of anyone does as consistently is filing taxes.

• Like 2

My 11 year old begged me to start putting him in this year so he can start building points and hopefully hunt one before he hits retirement. I'd say that is a pretty good estimate of how long it will take. I'm 39 with 7 points. By the time I draw I'll probably have to pass the tag down to my grand kid or great grand kid. Hopefully I'll still be able to kick it with them in camp when that happens.

LOL

Who am I kidding to think we will still be hunting in 30+ years? The liberals will have completely banned hunting long before this ever happens.

• Like 3

My 11 year old begged me to start putting him in this year so he can start building points and hopefully hunt one before he hits retirement. I'd say that is a pretty good estimate of how long it will take. I'm 39 with 7 points. By the time I draw I'll probably have to pass the tag down to my grand kid or great grand kid. Hopefully I'll still be able to kick it with them in camp when that happens.

LOL

Who am I kidding to think we will still be hunting in 30+ years? The liberals will have completely banned hunting long before this ever happens.

Unfortunately if you're 39 with only 7 points you'll more than likely never draw. Definitely won't reach max points so you'll have to get lucky in the random draw. And even more sad is your son starting at 11 years old will never reach max either. So just cross your fingers every year and hope you get lucky! Unless something changes even guys with 23-24 points right now will never have max.

LOL

Unfortunately if you're 39 with only 7 points you'll more than likely never draw. Definitely won't reach max points so you'll have to get lucky in the random draw. And even more sad is your son starting at 11 years old will never reach max either. So just cross your fingers every year and hope you get lucky! Unless something changes even guys with 23-24 points right now will never have max.

My 23 points and I will never see max. Just have to realize that a handful or so of units are completely out of the question. Still amazes me how many people waste ink writing in units that have zero shot of drawing. Guess that's good for me as it eliminates them automatically.

Brian

• Like 4

LOL

My 23 points and I will never see max. Just have to realize that a handful or so of units are completely out of the question. Still amazes me how many people waste ink writing in units that have zero shot of drawing. Guess that's good for me as it eliminates them automatically.

Brian

Yep that's the only thing that gives me hope. Lots of guys just buy points and lots of guys waste both choices. Gotta get all the help we can if we're gonna draw!

LOL

If they ban hunting in the next 30 years then there will be no game and fish dept except to patrol the lakes. I will definatly get to sheep hunt then in whatever unit I want. No cops to catch me. I will only take one. Lol

When it comes to sheep unless you have max, everyone pretty much has the same chance at drawing with 1-26 points.