Sign in to follow this  
archer

handgun hunting first try!

Is there anyone out there thats hunts deer with a handgun? I have a 308 win in a encore pistol and would like to try coues deer this season . I have a tag for 24B here in arizona. Any helpful hints in doing this would help. What works for you? B)

I haven't hunted deer with a handgun, but if I did, I would choose the same type of gun that you have. The T/C is great for hunting. What time of year is your hunt in 24B?

I will be hunting with 3 other people, that way we can pair up and cover more ground with the binoculars. The hunt dates are Oct 26 to Oct 31. I haven't shot a deer for a while now but have gotten a cow elk the last 2 years. Still got meat in the freezer! Going for 3 for 3. Got an elk last Dec, a javelina in feb or march? Now looking for a deer, deaf, dum and blind would help!!!

Tried to get a deer, found this to be one of the tuffer hunts. Last 2 days we could find deer but couldn't get close for my pistol, a rifle wouldn't of helped! Had a good time out! I wasn't at work!!!!!

Tried to get a deer, found this to be one of the tuffer hunts. Last 2 days we could find deer but couldn't get close for my pistol, a rifle wouldn't of helped! Had a good time out! I wasn't at work!!!!!

Where did you hunt? I was up near Apache lake. Got one on the first day.

Hunted the east side of the unit. Was camped on the first road that said 225fr. I thought about changing to my rifle but I stayed with my encore 308 pistol. Took a couple shots from camp to check the gun, hit at 300yds. Was happy about that. That was without hiking around. I always want to get closer!!! Didn't see or hear anyone out that way having any luck. Going to try my luck on elk with the pistol, using a 378GNR caliber.

Handgun hunting for me rates up there with archery hunting, it's a blast and a little more challenging! I shoot a T/C .223 and took a muley spike with it a few years ago and it feels good to say you killed a deer with a pistol! If you're going to try it I would recommend any of the T/C pistols and they have a wide variety of calibers!