Sign in to follow this  
coyotekeith

Which Spotter???

I'm looking at getting a compact spotting scope to use on pack-in hunts. I would appreciate in info/opinions from anyone who has used these. The two scopes I'm looking at are the Vortex Razor HD 11-33X50 and the Nikon Prostaff 5 16-48X60. I like the vortex but also like the little bit more power and larger objective of the Nikon. The Nikon is only about 1.5oz heavier than the Vortex.

Thanks!

I have the razor 11-33. It's a great glass but it is limited with the magnification. If you backpack it is the best scope of not I would get more magnification

Even high end spotters @ higher magnification require a larger objective size to maintain a reasonably resolvable image. IMO, 65mm is the starting point for spotters. Plenty of lightweight 65mm scopes available, the real issue is bulk. A 65mm will take up more space in the pack.

IMO that prostaff would be a waste. The optical quality is not very good. I carry the 13-30x50 Nikon ED and the optics are great. Just keep in mind, the Nikon ED50 and the Vortex Razor 50 are exactly that, a 50mm spotting scope. They work fantastic for backpack work, but I think their "effective" range is 1/2 mile or so.

Thanks for the info guys. Some other options to look into as well. Still have lots of research to do looks like.

Swivelhead, you're correct. Once you get too big on the objective it takes up a lot of space in the pack.

cjl2010 what are looking to get on your swaros?

Looking for 1700. Will come with a Kings camo scope coat and Swarovski hard case. Has 20-60 eye piece. They are still in sealed package from Swarovski

When you say you be using this for pack-in hunts I automatically think smaller/lighter is better. I've owned my fair share of scopes sizes ranging from 25mm all the way up to 120mm and I absolutely love the Nikon ED50 with the 13-40x zoom. I've had success using mine out to 2 miles but it all depends on what your going to use it for. If you think you'll be using this new scope for an occasional look at a deer just to see if it has antlers then I'd say the 50mm scopes would be my choice for a pack-in hunt. One thing I hear and see a lot from other hunters is that more times than not they leave the spotting scope in the truck because it's not worth packing for how little they actually use it. Sometimes smaller really is better.

Thanks Opticnerd. That's pretty much what I will be using it for. Just to see it something far off is worth the hike over, not so much counting inches. Space and weight are my main concern but has to be useful as well.

When you say you be using this for pack-in hunts I automatically think smaller/lighter is better. I've owned my fair share of scopes sizes ranging from 25mm all the way up to 120mm and I absolutely love the Nikon ED50 with the 13-40x zoom. I've had success using mine out to 2 miles but it all depends on what your going to use it for. If you think you'll be using this new scope for an occasional look at a deer just to see if it has antlers then I'd say the 50mm scopes would be my choice for a pack-in hunt. One thing I hear and see a lot from other hunters is that more times than not they leave the spotting scope in the truck because it's not worth packing for how little they actually use it. Sometimes smaller really is better.

I've been saying that last line for years!

• Like 1

I've been using an older Leopold fixed power 20x50 for the last two seasons. I think they stopped producing them the mid 90's but it's decent glass, though a bit dim by today's standards. It weighs 20oz and is a lil longer than a 20oz bottle of coke. It does a good job of telling me if I'm looking at a rock or a javie and whether a deer has horns. In low light it's not as good as the modern stuff but it's small and light enough that it's always in the pack. I've never had great luck with 50mm spotting scopes over about 25x. If it's not mirage then it's too dim.

There's a 25x version of the Leopold for sale on the bay right now but he's asking $350. I got mine for about $200 locally. If you were closer I'd let you borrow mine to see if it fits your needs. Just something to consider.

• Like 1