bunhead

Unit 9 early rifle

My wife was lucky enough to draw Unit 9 for the early rifle hunt. She's determined to hold out for a big bull and wants to use her muzzle loader. I've hunted turkey in 9 so I'm somewhat familiar with the unit and we'll be spending a lot of time scouting.

I was hoping some fellow members might offer some advice on the best general areas to concentrate our scouting. My limited familiarity is with the Northern portion of the unit but I'm wondering if some big bulls might be down south in the more open terrain and if it would be worthwhile to scout that area too.

We'd sure appreciate any advice! Bunhead

Congrats on drawing an amazing tag! Assuming your wife is near your age, this will likely be her last opportunity for a true trophy class bull. As such, I am curious why she wishes to use a muzzleloader? I had an early 9 tag in '10 and shot my bull in the southern half of the unit. There are some big bulls down there, and shots can get quite long. Also do not overlook the southwest part of the unit. Way less elk but there was one heck of a bruiser back in there during my hunt. The descriptions on the G&F website are accurate, and if in doubt, just check to see how many cams are on waterholes to see how popular they are.

+1 on the muzzleloader! They're great and all but why risk the opportunity of a lifetime with potentially wounding an animal? If she wants more of a challenge then hold out for a bigger bull. I'm not much help but I can tell you that she has one of the best elk tags in the world!!

Ya already got my tag, now you want my bull too? Nasty pm sent.

• Like 2

Great tag! I hunted 9 sept archery in 2014 and never had stepped foot in the unit before. Living in Tucson and with work I was only able to scout 15 total days before my hunt. But in those 15 days I covered most the unit putting a couple thousand miles on my truck and a ton of miles on my boots plus lots of hours behind the glass. If you scout and hit it hard you will be successful. I killed a 349" 5X6 bull on day 3 of my hunt. If you scout hard you will be successful. Pre season is the season. The hunt is the experience. Best advise find wallows close to season and find the concentrated cow herds early. Catch to this hunt is g@f giving the rifle hunters the early September days... You'll be lucky if the rut is going during the hunt dates. Bring the big glass. Be prepared for some silent days and a lot of glassing. Good luck.

• Like 1

Bunhead good for your wife!

Muzzleloaders good!

As long as it's a 500 yard one! Lol!

One things for sure the archery hunters will move the bulls around and take some of the best bulls!

I'll be running cameras up there all summer in preparation for the hunts! We will be up there helping my 78 year old uncle on the Early Rifle Bull hunt.

And I'll be there on the archery 9 hunt especially if I can find someone to guide !

Great tag! I hunted 9 sept archery in 2014 and never had stepped foot in the unit before. Living in Tucson and with work I was only able to scout 15 total days before my hunt. But in those 15 days I covered most the unit putting a couple thousand miles on my truck and a ton of miles on my boots plus lots of hours behind the glass. If you scout and hit it hard you will be successful. I killed a 349" 5X6 bull on day 3 of my hunt. If you scout hard you will be successful. Pre season is the season. The hunt is the experience. Best advise find wallows close to season and find the concentrated cow herds early. Catch to this hunt is g@f giving the rifle hunters the early September days... You'll be lucky if the rut is going during the hunt dates. Bring the big glass. Be prepared for some silent days and a lot of glassing. Good luck.

Doesn't this hunt start on September 30th? No bugling/rut going on at that time... Is that correct?

SirRoyal is the man if someone needs a guide on that hunt.........................BOB!

• Like 1