Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

Kaibab archery Cow Buffalo - aug 12th---25th

As the title states, I drew archery cow buffalo aug 12th - 25th. I know absolutely nothing about these creatures and really look forward to this new adventure. I have put in on and off for buffalo for the past 21 years. Due to the AZ point system it showed I had 7 points going into the hunt (obviously, I didn't consistently put in every year until lately). I recently had a kidney shut down which led to 6 weeks out of work and 3 operations leaving me in the worst shape of my life. I actually entered this year's drawing in the emergency room - "thanks" to the AZGFD for online apps! As many of you did, I learned of my success via bank notification a couple weeks ago. I love hunting new areas and out of state. It's exciting and challenging to me to explore / learn / conquer a new area. This year, it will be Buffalo on the Kaibab. This will be the first time in the past 13 years I don't archery hunt elk and I have mixed emotions about that. Although Buffalo are cool - nothing compares to elk hunting for me. I have not found much information on hunting these beasts so I plan on boring the masses, but spark an interest in those who may desire to follow along. Maybe someone will read through this and pick up an idea or pointer in the future that will help them out. Hopefully, those who have hunted AZ Bison in the past will be able to relive some fond memories and post some pics.

1st thing I did was e-scouting. I have contacted 13 people via PM's requesting information who have posted previous tags in the past. I try to contact folks asap after receiving notification of receiving a permit as I have found many times a guy only has a couple spots and gives them to the first person who requests info. After that, hunters sharing info tend to be more reserved about sharing the same spots to multiple folks. Thanks to the following coueswhitetail members who have shared:

* Lance w/ TLO

* 8OWHUNT247

* kennyt

Next is uploading waypoints from google earth onto GPS for quick reference in the field and locating access roads to get a feel of the land. The hunt is close to the Grand Canyon National Park so the last thing I want is a trespassing or hunting on park fine.

post-4763-0-36227400-1468980441_thumb.jpg

Now that I have a starting point, it’s time to put boots on the ground. With only being out of bed for less than 2 weeks I knew I wouldn’t have the time or money to invest in multiple trips. From Ft. Mohave to Kaibab is 6.25 hrs. I figured I’d set 10 cameras if I was able to locate the salt and water holes so I had to swing by unit 10 on the way and grab a few I have out for my niece’s & son’s elk hunt in Nov. If I know I cannot make multiple scouting trips to an area I will hang cameras to let them do some of my scouting for me.

My niece’s bull is continuing to grow fine and will look nice on her wall. I’ll set out cams again for their hunt after the rut. 17 weeks away…

post-4763-0-78934300-1468980469_thumb.jpg

My first and only scouting trip for this hunt began Saturday morning July 16th. After arriving to my first spot I had only walked about 400 yards when I found bison tracks. They are identical to cattle, except their young ones’ tracks look very small. Just a bit bigger than a large muley and more round. I wasn’t 100% sure it was bison and not cattle so I started to follow them as they were quite fresh.

post-4763-0-59523200-1468980863_thumb.jpg

They started heading down from the ridge which was a good sign and led me into a salt lick and ground blind. The shocking thing for me was the people inside it! I asked them what they were doing and they said Buffalo hunting. My heart sank. How could there be rifle hunts before archery? Come to find out, there are bison hunts going on nearly every day of the year. Bummer…I marked the spot on my GPS and left the area.

I continued on in a different area, still carrying 4 cameras in my pack. Found more buffalo tracks and started to follow them again. As I was approaching the bottom of the canyon I could hear grunting. Buffalo GRUNT! I eased in, but could hear them leaving the area. As I walked into the spot where they were located it was easily apparent this spot was being used regularly. I marked it on my GPS to return and set up a camera. Plenty of bison poop.

post-4763-0-47486900-1468980690_thumb.jpg

It was time to follow those buffs and get some video. I followed right behind them on a well-used buffalo trail as my wind was good and walking was silent. I caught up to them to see 2 new born bison together walking through the meadow heading directly to salt. Where’s the rest of the herd? One was a male and the other a female. I sat at the mouth of that meadow for an hr waiting for the rest of the herd before heading back to the start of the trail and hang a camera.

post-4763-0-15269300-1468980601_thumb.jpg

Once I hung the cam I went back to the meadow and found the youngsters running straight at me. They came to a screeching hault when they saw me. At this point they were less than 10 feet from me. They let me get some good video and then wandered out of the meadow.

post-4763-0-80139700-1468980771_thumb.jpg

It was getting dark so I booked it to the salt and set up cam # 2. As I was walking out of the meadow another hunter came out of the woods from 100+ yards away hollering at me. We met and he informed me I was f-ing up everyone’s hunt by walking around during their season. He was quite upset and I was as cordial as I could be. I told him I didn’t realize there were hunts going on and he continued to scold me pretty good. He was harmless and I felt bad so I listened to his concerns. He has been waiting since Nov ’15 for his hunt to start…I never would have thought to look at the Oct ’15 regs to make sure hunts are not going on….crazy!

The best advice I received from that encounter was to go speak with Russ Jacoby. I spoke with Russ that night for about an hour and he opened my eyes to AZ Bison hunting on the Kaibab Plateau. If I knew what I have found out now, I never would have put in for this area. Russ showed me pics, gave me a lot of insight and continued to tell me by scouting the woods I am single handedly screwing up everyone that is currently hunting. Russ seemed to be genuinely concerned for all hunters and even has the hunters meet at his camp to go over the day’s gameplan. He gives each hunter a radio after they agree where each of them will hunt and hunters are discouraged to move from their spot for the day. Hunters really have to work together in order to be successful it seems. Hopefully, the hunters who have drawn the tag with me understand the dynamics of this hunt. It appears to be unlike any other hunt I’ve ever been on….not in a good way!

If any other members drew this same hunt, either any bison or cow bison, please contact me @ 928-276-6 five five four or pm me for email. Thanks,

Wade

• Like 4

Now the hunt is 1 week away. I won’t be able to make the 4 hr drive to Phoenix to be apart of the bison clinic with the Game and Fish, however I have watched every youtube bison hunt video and also have watched the game and fish clinic online while running on the treadmill each morning.

post-4763-0-02745000-1470594918_thumb.jpg

I decided I need a heavier arrow to get the job done. I started with my deer arrows that weighed in at 372gr and added some weight to them, but they never tuned the way I like them so I went a different route to get the right set up.

post-4763-0-33984200-1470594932_thumb.jpg

I love building new arrows. FMJ, Blazer vanes with specialty wraps & nocturnal nocks = 490gr

post-4763-0-99821900-1470594957_thumb.jpgpost-4763-0-96798500-1470595018_thumb.jpg

I contacted a gentleman I know in Montana that has shot a lot of buffalo with archery gear. He recommended a longer length of broadhead blade than I typically shoot. His theory is the short stubby broadheads are less efficient going through the thicker hair on a bison’s kill zone. I have shot the G5 strikers on the last 5 bull elk and they have worked very well, however I purchased the broadhead he uses and will be using them for this hunt.

post-4763-0-66326300-1470595034_thumb.jpg

Hunt starts Friday the 12th, but I won’t be able to start my hunt until Saturday the 13th. I plan on hunting from daylight to dark everyday except the 19th when I have to return home to watch my son’s high school football game. I’ll resupply at that time as well and be back in the blind Saturday morning. I’d love to harvest one in the first week of the hunt, but am mentally prepared to encounter a hunt a lot like Heat’s hunt from a couple weeks ago.

The only thing I need now is my TAG from the Game and Fish! Not sure what they are thinking, but not receiving a permit tag until the same week the hunt starts is not cool. I have left 2 messages and no return phone call.

I’m happy with my groups out to 45 yards with this combo. I assume the shot will be close so I will be shooting for a heart shot. After that, the plan is to get as many follow up shots as possible. They have massive lungs so I need to take out the heart.

post-4763-0-97361700-1470594983_thumb.jpgpost-4763-0-96674300-1470595517_thumb.png

• Like 4

Good luck!

Quite an adventure heading your way!

• Like 1

Has anyone heard of any bison being taken on this hunt yet. Good luck to those on this hunt.

Awesome post ! What a rush to read your experience. I look forward to the end result.

Awesome! Keep us posted! Don't overthink it, aim for those massive lungs!!!!

G&F recommending aiming for the heart. Tough animal that can get back on the Park after being hit. No experience on my part, since my hunt does not start until September 23.

• Like 1

I was told by G&F that 5 bison had been checked in as of yesterday on this archery hunt.

I’m glad to see all the successful hunters starting to post their trophies. Glad to see some good fortune out there. My hunt did not turn out so well and I will never apply again for Buffalo unless the hunt drastically changes. I just got a new computer and am having difficulty getting used to it. I'll upload pics as I can. Got a lot of video, but ain't gunna happen anytime soon so here's a recap on how my hunt went:

Friday (Opening Day) – Had to finish work and then headed out. Arrived Saturday morning at 3:40am.

Saturday – Met at Russ Jacoby’s camp and met the other hunters. I had driven all night so I was bushed, but I set up camp quickly and was in my blind by 7am.

· I was assigned to a blind with Salt and was told it was “a hot salt that the previous hunter missed a buffalo on the prior hunt”.

· It was hot and sunny

I sat the blind 12.5 hrs and did not have any activity other than a muley doe. Here's an example of what you're looking at:

post-4763-0-50554500-1473207399_thumb.jpg

Sunday – I was assigned the same blind and was set up for the day in the blind by 5:30am. Another hunter killed a buffalo that morning at another blind so we were all called on the radio to get to the main road ASAP! Russ picked me up and drove me to the other hunters who were all hurrying to the salt where the buffalo were at. 7 hunters all emerged on the buffalo. The wife of a guide killed one, a paid bull hunter killed one and a non-paid hunter shot one that was not recovered.

· This was not how I wanted to harvest my buffalo so I stayed back a bit and watched the others.

· It was hot and sunny

I returned to my blind after the buffalo ran back into the park for the remainder of the day.

*** Remember, I was asked not to scout and all info including game camera pics would be provided to me. I trusted that would be the case so I did not continue scouting and I only set up 2 cameras***

Monday – I requested the lock combo to the camera so I could check pics. I was told Russ no longer provides the hunters the locks due to damage. I was again assigned the same salt and luckily a fellow CWT member who has the hunt after mine set up a camera on that salt and gave me the key. The buffalo had not hit that salt for more than 3 weeks. I sat there for 14.5 hrs considering my options. I was furious that Russ told me a hunter the week prior missed a buffalo on that salt. It was time to move.

· A 16yr old female hunter shot a cow buff at another salt. I was happy for her, but they were unable to recover the animal.

· It was hot and sunny

I shot every morning prior to the 4am meeting in the headlights of my truck. Nokturnals are awesome!

post-4763-0-41461000-1473208949_thumb.jpg

Tuesday – I requested another salt location. It was clear at this time the hunters who paid were placed at the salt where the buffalo were active and the non-paid hunters were placed everywhere else. Wounded warriors, paid hunters and guide’s favorites got the active salt. Another 14.5 hr day in the blind.

· Brian – the guide who stayed all week did a tremendous job keeping us informed where the buffalo were at on the park. When they would get close, he would call everyone on the radio and tell them to stay alert.

· I believe the buffalo came to salt where the paid hunter was at this day, but this is where my hunt started to fall apart. The paid hunter was a dipshit and not “playing by the rules” which is bad news for the other hunters who are.

· Was sunny, but rained a little that night.

Wednesday – Sat the same blind as Tuesday. 14.5 hrs with nothing to report.

· Overcast most of the day

Thursday – Sat a different blind that nobody had sat before. I had a camera at this blind and wanted to check it anyways. No buffalo activity in several weeks…UGH! Then, we receive a call from Brian on the radios stating the buffalo have left the park and are huntable off HWY 64. I race to my truck and pick up another non-paid hunter. We park on the side of the road – the buffalo are easily visible. We crawl close to the herd. The bulls are rutting making noises and bumping heads. The other hunter and I agree to complete the legendary “1, 2, 3, Shoot” routine. I am filming with my hat cam. Unfortunately, the hunter completely disregards the agreement and shoots the first cow that comes out of the woods. It’s a bad hit in the flank. The guide scolds the hunter and says it’s just a flesh wound. Hunter does not locate his arrow or follow blood. All the buffalo take off running back into the park. No shot for me, but I got his shot on camera. We went back to different blinds. At 2pm it starts raining buckets so I left my blind and went to the park to see a buffalo and take a shower at the grand canyon campground. As I return, I locate Brian and hunter who are packing out his buffalo. Long story, but Brian was running back to his truck when it began raining and nearly stepped right on the dead cow buffalo. Dang LUCKY! Glad he scored.

Here's a snapshot right before his shot:

post-4763-0-23662800-1473213541_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the better bucks on trail cams:

post-4763-0-95140000-1473208157_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of a few buffalo on the park a few hundred yards from public land

post-4763-0-75733800-1473207565_thumb.jpg

Friday – I hunted ‘til 9am, drove 7 hrs to Ft. Mohave to watch my son’s football game, drove back up the hill and made it to camp just in time for the 4am meeting.

· Sunny morning, but rained in afternoon

· Son’s team won 41-10. Not happy about letting them score 10, but my son played well and made the newspaper so I was content. Sorry, but I love HS football!

post-4763-0-10500000-1473207743_thumb.jpg

Saturday – I changed blinds again. I desperately want to sit on the “corner salt”, but the paid hunter is sitting it everyday until he kills one. I am sensing the buffalo are there everyday, but am biding my time. Did I mention that fool is a jackass? Another 14.5 hr day. I took my first nap in the blind after being awake for approx. 35 hrs straight.

· Sunny most of the day until afternoon rains, hail and snow!

Sunday – Guess what? The paid hunter and his sidekick have been on buffalo everyday. They try spot and stalking them and entering from above rather than down wind from them and have been blowing them out everyday. Paid hunter’s buddy admits to this after shooting his cow that morning. What jerkoffs! Screwing up everyone else’s opportunity for harvest. In my youth I would have slashed their tires. Now, I just fantasize about gutting them alive…Another 14.5 hrs in blind with no activity.

· Recap – partner of paid hunter kills cow buffalo

· Sunny morning. Dark overcast most of day.

· I had to attend a conference call for work and was forced to return home Tuesday and fly to Dallas on Wednesday. My hunt is down to the wire.

Monday – I beg for the hot spot as I have 5 hrs to harvest my buffalo. No dice. Paid hunter gets it until he kills even though his buddy ratted him out and now all the guides know about his shenanigans. 5 hrs later, I took the lonely walk back to the truck empty handed. My hunt is DONE…

· Sunny morning and overcast when leaving

Tuesday – Jackass paid hunter leaves and 16 yr old girl gets to hunt good salt. She kills her buffalo that morning. Good for her!

In the end, I would not “follow the unwritten” rules of the AZ game and Fish and Russ Jacoby if I was going to do this hunt again, however as I previously mentioned, I would not do this hunt ever again. If I did, I would scout as I normally do and put my ground blind where I found the most active sign. Russ and Brian were very friendly people, but they have their agenda and if you are not a paid hunter, wounded warrior, governor tag holder or a preferred hunter you simply will not get the active salt. Don’t get me wrong, the buffalo can hit any salt at any time, but during my hunt the buffalo hit 1 salt at least 7 times, another salt twice and a 3rd salt once. I came

Key notes:

· You need sunny days for the buffalo to venture off the park

· Showers are available at the Grand Canyon campground, but you pay $30 to enter

· Hundreds of Buffalo are just a few hundred yards away from salt throughout the day

· It can get pretty chilly in the blinds all day out of the sunlight. Bring clothes to ensure comfort.

· Archery deer begins the second week of the hunt

· Large fire on the east side of the Kaibab might make it interesting next year

Sorry you didn't fill your tag. Thank you for taking the time to write this up! It definitely is good info for everyone headed that way. My husband has a cow tag on September 23rd and we are worried about similar circumstances.

Sorry you didn't fill your tag. Thank you for taking the time to write this up! It definitely is good info for everyone headed that way. My husband has a cow tag on September 23rd and we are worried about similar circumstances.

Contact the hunters who had the season before yours to find out what salt was being hit the most. Good luck!