Sign in to follow this  
hunt87

Got 13b rifle tag

Looking for someone who has hunted 13b before that may be willing to trade some info. Really just looking to find out good place to camp/ start. What part of the unit is better south or north.

Looking for someone who has hunted 13b before that may be willing to trade some info. Really just looking to find out good place to camp/ start. What part of the unit is better south or north.

Congrats on the tag!

All of 13b should be looked at during the rut. North and south are both good. If I were you I'd consider a scouting package or outfitter as most outfitters will have there clients on the big deer right away. I had the archery tag last year and it's truley a hunt of a lifetime. Chad Woodruff with Mossbackaz or Tory Brock would be my outfitter of choice also MDA would be a great choice.

Congrats on the tag How many points did you have

If you have time and hunt hard and scout harder you don't need a guide. If time is limited and you have never been there then a guide is a good idea.

If you are locked into going DIY, and that's what I did in 2008 in 13a, then drop me a pm and I can get you started looking in some "traditional" big buck spots. Please understand that 13b is huge and big deer can be found anywhere in it. Big deer on the strip are like big elk, they can only be found where they are standing that day! The next day they could be miles away.

• Like 1

Hunt87 sounds like you have more than one tag in 13 b.

This will be the toughest hunt you have ever been on. You have no idea where the big bucks are. Just starting points.

If you get lucky you might get a 180" but more than likely 150" to 160".

The average deer up there killed is not 200" and the biggest deer are always killed by the guides and their hunters!

The Guides run 100+ cameras and they know where a big buck lives and will wait him out for days without seeing anything!

You and I would keep moving looking for a better spot!

Getting lucky is your best chance to get a big one!

I know several guys that have killed dinks. I know guys that walked away with nothing! All unguided!!

I consider myself an above average hunter and I would never do the strip without a guide!

That's from personal experience helping a friend on that tag! 2 years ago.

I saw 1 buck that would be pushing 200". My buddy found 1 buck that was 208" we know that cause 10 guys and a big name guide surrounded him and killed him.

Everything else we saw was dinks.

My buddy was up there for 3 weeks solid and still came home empty and he is a pro guide in BC.

• Like 1

This will be the toughest hunt you have ever been on. You have no idea where the big bucks are. Just starting points.

The average deer up there killed is not 200" and the biggest deer are always killed by the guides and their hunters!

The Guides run 100+ cameras and they know where a big buck lives and will wait him out for days without seeing anything!

I know several guys that have killed dinks. I know guys that walked away with nothing! All unguided!!

I consider myself a above average hunter and I would never do the strip without a guide!

I saw 1 buck that would be pushing 200". My buddy found 1 buck that was 208" we know that cause 10 guys and a big name guide surrounded him and killed him.

My buddy was up there for 3 weeks solid and still came home empty and he is a pro guide in BC.

Great info^. I think guys automatically think if they draw it they will kill a 200"+. The fact is its hard to do. 13b alone is roughly 100 miles long by 45-50 miles wide. If you have the time and you have a bunch of cameras I think a guy could do just fine up there. I'd bet by all the scouting required that it wouldn't be much cheaper than getting an outfitter. Best of luck.

I also drove all night long during the season spotlighting looking for a monster.

I drove 150 miles of dirt 2 trackers that night and saw 1 buck that was a great buck but crabbed fronts so not a shooter!

This is the reality of the Strip !!!

I consider myself an above average hunter and I would never do the strip without a guide!

I had this tag last year and couldn't agree with SirRoyal more. It was a really cool hunt but the hardest hunt I have been on. A lot of people think there at 200" deer around every bush. It just isn't the case. During the 10 day season I saw 50-100 does. About 6-10 160" bucks but nothing big. Most of the camps treat this hunt like sheep camp. There are multiple buddies glassing and looking for a shooter. There can easily be 5-10 guys out there for one tag. The roads are very rough and it was common to drive 100-150 miles a day between areas. I think you could go up there and shoot a 160-170" deer and maybe get lucky and see one of the monsters and have a shot. It really depends on if you can scrap up the cash. If you can swing it I'd use a guide.

• Like 1

Congrats on this tag. It really is a unique and cool hunt. My buddy called it the super bowl of Muley hunts. Most of us simply have unrealistic expectations for this hunt. I know I did. We have all read the stories and have seen the pics from the strip. I suspect there are only a dozen or so giant deer killed up there yearly. I could be wrong but most of the deer I saw in the field, camps and pick up trucks were not 180"+ bucks.

How many tags will you be trying to fill? What kind of deer are the tag holders willing to pass on? How long before the season can you set up camp and live in the unit?

• Like 1

Good luck and DIY is the only way. Guides are the same as high fence ranches. No honor in using one.

• Like 2