I've seen the blue grouse introduction in areas 4A and 4B and know that these will closed for a few years to allow population growth. I hear that area 31, the area around Mt Escudilla and the San Francisco Mountains have some blue populations. Have any of you had luck hunting them, or come across any in your other species hunts? I used to enjoy hunting them around the Okanogan area in Washington State and was wondering if they would be worth seeking here in AZ.

I use it as a warm up for my dogs every year and pick a few wild mushrooms while I'm at it

IMG_0422.jpg

• Like 6

I used to hunt for them in Northern NM. Haven't hunted for them here.

I think the kaibab is your best bet for them. I haven't really seen any huntable numbers any where else for years

• Like 3

I have came across them in the nonhunting seasons, they are a very cool bird. I want one bad!!! I did a lot of research and talking to biologist about them. But trying to get areas is like pulling teeth, so whatever the regs say is your best bet. My area is about 6 miles in one way, just need to get some time off. Thier home range of I remember right I about 1 square acre and they'll stay there year round

• Like 3

Greens peak area use to have a good population all my other areas burned in the fire in unit 27. I don't know if any of the area's are good as I have not been back since the fire. I have always just ran into them doing other things.

• Like 4

We always see them on the roads and hills near the Black River but I have never checked to see if the reservation allows them to be hunted.

Used to hunt Escudilla and down towards Hannegan Meadow. Spruce & berry patches were the key, that and 9000+ elevation. My

friends in Alpine tell me they've seen zero grouse since the Wallow fire. North rim is likely your best bet.

i saw the biggest flock i have ever seen in a burn in unit 27, 2 years ago. probably around 20 of the suckers all in a tree. i was shocked. it was probably a fluke

• Like 3

i saw the biggest flock i have ever seen in a burn in unit 27, 2 years ago. probably around 20 of the suckers all in a tree. i was shocked. it was probably a fluke

I believe you are wrong had to be in the Kaibab you witnessed those numbers. :rolleyes:

Good to hear somebody's seen some in that area. Grouse are really tasty.
  • Like 1

Good to hear somebody's seen some in that area. Grouse are really tasty.

you are MISTAKEN GG85 really did see them in the Kaibab.

I often hang out around Hannagan Meadow but have not seen or heard blues at all the last few years. It may be a very good sign that some were spotted there. I was recently scouting the back roads to the west and saw the tremendous burn destruction all around Hannagan to Greer. I'll keep searching in the hopes of finding a population in 27, however at this point I would likely not harvest any of them due to a possible low population density after the fire. Maybe I need to look at the rim country. Thanks for all your observations and comments.

I often hang out around Hannagan Meadow but have not seen or heard blues at all the last few years. It may be a very good sign that some were spotted there. I was recently scouting the back roads to the west and saw the tremendous burn destruction all around Hannagan to Greer. I'll keep searching in the hopes of finding a population in 27, however at this point I would likely not harvest any of them due to a possible low population density after the fire. Maybe I need to look at the rim country. Thanks for all your observations and comments.

whats wrong with you people he spotted them in Kaibab he really did.