Sign in to follow this  
smitty93

First Turkey Hunt, Unit 1 Fall

So my buddy and I got drawn for the fall hut, in unit 1. Neither of us have hunted turkey before, but we've been doing our research and are planning a couple scouting trips before October rolls around. Anyone have any advice for us, as to where to scout? and what strategies to use? should we be more stationary and try to call them in, or be more mobile and cover as much land as we can? Any info would be great, as were both novice hunters and could use all the help we can get.

So my buddy and I got drawn for the fall hut, in unit 1. Neither of us have hunted turkey before, but we've been doing our research and are planning a couple scouting trips before October rolls around. Anyone have any advice for us, as to where to scout? and what strategies to use? should we be more stationary and try to call them in, or be more mobile and cover as much land as we can? Any info would be great, as were both novice hunters and could use all the help we can get.

turkey are very vocal birds all year round and yes you can call in Toms in the fall, the call that works best for me in the fall is the gobbler yelp.

Yes take this advice... Don't split them up... I have consistent calling and decoying success every fall. Turkeys are very vocal in the fall. In the fall I use 3-5 DSD decoys including the jake and have birds come in hard and engage the decoys in the fall. I've had groups of toms in the fall come in fast and whoop on the jake decoy like it was spring.. Fall tho is about finding birds then setting up.. Try and locate travel routes or an area they hit when they come off the roost to.. If you find a roost in the fall you should have action.