Sign in to follow this  
arizonaelkhunter

Cherry Creek Road FR 203 Permanent Closure

Hey fellow CW members, I remember seeing something about my subject line above. Reference the attachment to this post. Do any of my CW brothers out there have any good Intel about what is going on with this deal. Also, how does this effect other forest roads that lead into the SA Wilderness area? If this is true, sounds like we all need to start writing our elected political heroes to get this BS stopped. I have been hunting backpacking and camping in this area for over 40 years. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see certain areas closed because of the dumb asses that trash everything however, that's why they have wilderness boundaries so you can't drive or quad any further.

If this is true, what is the plan to get Fed Gov's attention again like what is going on in the strip to stop this crap?

Not picking sides here.

But by law, Wilderness areas must be roadless.

Cherry Creek road makes several incursions into the Sierra Ancha Wilderness, particularly in the northen part.

I assume the FS is taking action on this based on feedback from outside organizations. Who knows?

I've been told by a friend who is active with land use issues that there is a plan to keep it open. Initially, it will be closed

until Congress acts on the plan (yes, Congress). Turns out even the Sierra Club wants it open as the road accesses a number

of trailheads.

Another giant tract of land that will become inaccessible is between Bartlet Lake and Sunflower. The power line road will be closed

where it enters the Mazatazal Wilderness. The only other access to the power line road will be through the Log Corral road which

is designated as a single track trail for dirt bikes. Lot of changes, I'd suggest you all study the final draft, its too late for input

but at least you'll know what's changing.

Link to the map detailing the changes:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/59232_FSPLT3_3087020.pdf

• Like 1

I am all for closing Dirt roads. If it isnt a maintained dirt road, close it. Doesnt mean you cant hunt an area, you just cant hunt it lazily.

• Like 2

I,m tired of all the road closures that are happening they are taking away our access. This is our country not the politicians they are to represent us. We should be the ones with the vote not them. It is time for a major overhaul of the system. When it started we did not have the ability to stay in contact with the gov. Now we could vote on legislation online from our computers anytime.

• Like 2

The road that really bugs me is in the sunflower area it had great access but some guy drove his jeep into a running stream and drown so they closed it because the state was getting sued

• Like 1

Below is some of the comments that the Arizona Elk Society, AZGFD and other groups sent in during the comment period on this issue.

The Tonto National Forest (TNF) provides excellent hunting and fishing opportunities for deer, elk, bighorn sheep, javalina, quail, and warm and cold water fish. These species are economically and socially important to local and neighboring communities and the many sportsmen who depend on the Tonto NF for a quality hunting and fishing experience. The quality of the hunting and fishing experience depends on a number of factors including the availability of quality fish and wildlife habitat, reasonable access, and dispersed camping opportunities. Please consider the following comments and objections to the June 2016 draft Record of Decision (ROD) and final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) related to Travel Management on the TNF.

1. The Forest Service did not provide an analysis or reasonable solution regarding the proposed closure of three existing routes that were found to be partially within established Wilderness Areas.
  • Route #203 (Cherry Creek Road in Sierra Ancha Wilderness, 10.05 miles of road in wilderness). This is an important access road to the east side of the Sierra Ancha Mountains for hunters, hikers, OHV users, and other recreationists as it provides important access points to Cherry Creek and the Sierra Ancha Wilderness.
  • Route #487/487A/487B (Aztec Peak/Workman Creek Road) - This is an important road to recreational access to the top of the Sierra Ancha Mountains. FR487 provides access to a parcel of private property (Murphy Ranch), wilderness trailheads, and a fire lookout tower. This closure would primarily affect hikers, OHV users, big and small game hunters.
  • Route #393 (Powerline road at south end of Mazatzal Wilderness, 0.64 miles of road in wilderness). The portion of the route within wilderness was proposed to be “Administrative Use Only” in Alternative C on Page 128 of DEIS. This would primarily affect OHV users, big and small game hunters.

We recognize that motorized vehicle travel is prohibited in designated Wilderness Areas. However, conflict between the 3 routes with Wilderness Area boundaries has been wildly recognized for years and appears to be the result of administrative or survey error. As a result, we recommend that the final ROD indicate that the Forest Service will actively investigate reasonable solutions to keep these road open, including pursuing legislation to adjust the boundaries of the Wilderness Areas. The 3 routes identified above should remain open until a permanent solution is found. Finally, the decision to close or decommission these routes represents a significant change from the draft EIS. These closures will be controversial. As such, additional opportunities for public comment on this decisions should be provided.

1. The Forest Service plans to eliminate 123 dispersed camp sites because of concerns that they are negatively affecting threatened and endangered species (T&E species) or their critical habitat. (T&E species addressed include the narrow headed garter snake, Mexican garter snake, southwest willow flycatcher, and the yellow-billed cuckoo). The dispersed camping sites that are proposed for closure are frequently used by the public and very popular for fishing and camping. We request that previously disturbed campsites and the spur roads leading to them remain open as inventoried and presented in Alternative C of the FEIS. We base this recommendation on our conclusion that motorized dispersed camping, which has been occurring in these areas for many years, does not appear to be having a population effect on these species or impeding their recovery. Rather than close these sites, we recommend that increased emphasis be placed on signage, public education and enforcement of existing rules related to OHV use, camp fire restriction, etc. as a means of avoiding impacts to T&E species. Finally, the loss of access to these dispersed camping sites represents a significant change from the Draft EIS and will be very controversial. As such, additional opportunities for public comment on this decision should be provided.
  1. We appreciated that the FEIS and the Draft ROD provides for motorized retrieval for elk and bear. However, the Forest Service did not allow for motorized retrieval for deer in the preferred alternative of the FEIS or Draft ROD. The final EIS is lacking credible data regarding the adverse effects of motorized big game retrievals (MBGR) on natural resources. The total number of MGBR’s including deer, is estimated to be less than 550 trips per year. MBGR is restricted to one trip in and out for retrieval of a large animal within one mile of a designated route. We recommend that the Forest Service should conduct a more thorough and realistic analysis of the impacts of MGBR and that the final ROD provide for motorized retrieval of deer in addition to bear and elk.
  • Like 1

yeah but they are kinda like the G&F in some regards

you can talk - comment till your blue in the face - once its on paper - final draft - for recommendation - 99.9% chance they'll pass it as written - just saying

so your screwed from access to your favorite hunting / camping / fishing spot ! - do you think they really care !?

Question for Average Joe, I do appreciate your comments about closing dirt roads and totally agree in most cases however, so you support parking somewhere on 288 next to 203 and then walking in at mimimum of 5-6 miles just to get to a wilderness boundary and trail head? I am one of those guys that appreciates packing in but let's just say you want to go to the deeper trail heads on Cherry Creek Road, are you saying you support walking down Cherry Creek Road over ten miles to a trailhead and then going in from their. Also, if all dirt roads are closed, most wilderness trail heads you will have to home to first, and then start your venture. My point is the Fed Gov is taking our lands at alarming rates that we pay taxes on. I am a life lying resident of AZ and I can give you multiple examples. Look what the current administration is trying to do on the strip. I blame most of this on the a-holes who destroy the roads and leave trash behind and all of us pay the price.

• Like 1

Close the roads. I support making lazy SOBs get off their lazy butts. Close the roads fast as possible while I will take joy in listening to lazy pukes crying. I will especially take joy in the less number of people and irritating noise of ATVS. I luv how people act and talk so tough until they are asked to actually be tough. Then they cry like babies. Good Riddance.

Close the roads. I support making lazy SOBs get off their lazy butts. Close the roads fast as possible while I will take joy in listening to lazy pukes crying. I will especially take joy in the less number of people and irritating noise of ATVS. I luv how people act and talk so tough until they are asked to actually be tough. Then they cry like babies. Good Riddance.

so you'll walk 10 miles to get to where you used to drive? Then walk 2 miles to your old hunting grounds? More power to you. If it closed then you'll only need to walk half that.
  • Like 1

Keep traditional access roads open. Close the "wildcat" roads created by the OHV crowd over the last 40 years. The anti access crowd has an amazing number of roadless/federal wilderness areas to use. Apparently, that's not enough, they want it all.

• Like 2

Close all the roads? What about persons with disabilities that are unable to walk at all? Many of you are taking a a very short sighted view as any of you can be one car accident or fall from not being able to walk into your favorite hunting spot. In most of these areas the roads were built for cattle, timber or mining not by wildcat off-roaders.

The goal of the TMR is to create de-facto wilderness areas out of vast areas of public land. They cut the access,then the use goes way down until there is no public outcry to maintain access, then they close it completely.

• Like 3