Heat

Heat's 2016 Kaibab Cow Bison Hunt

HOUSE ROCK BISON HUNT SPECIAL NOTE:
During the House Rock herd hunts, a significant portion of the herd has moved to the Grand Canyon National Park where hunting is not allowed. Hunters are advised that their ability to successfully harvest a bison may be significantly impacted. As with any hunt,circumstances beyond the control of the Arizona Game and Fish Department may prevent the permit holder from being successful. The Arizona Game and Fish Department and Commission disclaims any responsibility to reissue or replace a permit, to reinstate bonus points, to refund any fees, or to provide any other form of relief. The House Rock bison hunt is considered to be one of the most difficult hunts in the state. Bison can be difficult to locate. Plan on spending the entire season hunting, as an abbreviated hunt will lower your chances of success. Bison hunters must dress and care for their own animals; the Department will not assist. Take time to improve your physical condition. Hunters are often required to walk considerable distances (up to 8 miles) every day over rugged terrain. House Rock hunters should be prepared for remote and primitive conditions. High clearance or four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended. Some portions of House Rock herd area are included in the U.S. Forest Service wilderness system that does not preclude hunter access but does limit their means of transportation and equipment usage. Hunts occurring later in the fall may be affected by snow, making access more difficult. Hunters should be prepared for severe winter conditions and low availability of bison. For more information, call the Flagstaff Regional Office at 928-774-5045
This is the disclaimer that Game and Fish provides for hunters before they apply. If you have read other bison threads you probably already know the crapshoot this thing can turn out to be, but nonetheless I was excited when I found out I drew a tag back in November of 2015. That gave me plenty of time to do figure out the logistics, pick up a few things, and network with the other hunters. About 6 or 7 of us were in contact before the hunt. One phrase I kept hearing repeated was "Talk to Russ" so I did. I did not pay him for his services but he pretty much helps everyone. This hunt is very unique since they only visit rarely on the Forest and they pretty much recommend that you don't scout so you don't mess up someone else's hunt which pretty much go on year round during the Spring Summer and Fall.
A couple of months before I was to leave I started trying to figure out what was wrong with my right eye, but it was not going to stop me from going if I could help it. Luckily the symptoms I have are mild and I was able to just go and do it. My buddy Marvin showed up on opening day and would stay for the rest of the hunt and my cousin Jon and wife Kim joined us for a few days at the beginning.
I departed for the Kaibab on Wednesday the 13th and arrived on the 14th. After dropping off some salt with Russ and setting up camp I headed out for the Park to make a few calls. Very little cell service up there except at Jacob Lake or the Park, maybe out at Fire Point, but very limited. I saw a few bison on the way in which was a sight I surely welcomed. On my way back out there were even more and they even put on a little show. The big cloud of dust in the background are two big bulls rolling around in the dirt.
post-2759-0-33408600-1469834968_thumb.jpg
post-2759-0-54302600-1469835150_thumb.jpg
post-2759-0-62327500-1469835206_thumb.jpg
We had a pre-meeting with all the other hunters and I had a salt to sit for the morning. I spent the first three and a half days at that salt and saw turkeys, deer, and even some grouse that came by the blind but no bison. There was some old sign but nothing too fresh. That first day a guy in the blind next to me took a really nice bull. I heard the radio chatter so that got me pretty pumped. Especially when i saw the big bull in a tree back at camp. Those things are huge! The next morning Jon sat in the blind with me and we had little action except for a few deer. Two guys got it done that morning. Apparently they made a deal to sit in the blind together and they were both rewarded for their teamwork. There were two in the meadow adjacent to their blind and salt location so they both did good and got it done. Well done by those guys!
The next day two more bison were killed. One was killed after a hunter got out of his blind after hearing the herd and got in there and took a yearling cow pretty early in the morning. That was cool to hear, that guy was pretty cool. That evening there were animals near the boundary in the Park, so the guys closest remained at the ready. One of them that was Russ's client killed that day too. I guess he shot one with a collar. Whatever.
So that was half of the hunters done in 3 days which seems really good, except the weather turned for the worse for a few days and things got really quiet. We really didn't have any opportunities as a group until the Wednesday after opening weekend. It rained pretty good and ended up hailing as well that day. We went to shower at the Park and bumped into Russ' helper on the way back. He said to follow him, except I was on my way back from a shower and I was in shorts and sandals and it was about 48 degrees out! No worries, I wasn't going to miss my chance just because I had no pants or boots. My wigwam wool socks kept me feet pretty toasty but I didn't have an opportunity to shoot since I was carrying a open site rifle. Another hunter in the group did take a shot, but that animal was not recovered. They went home the next day after not being able to find that cow.
Another hunter went home on the second Monday, leaving only 3 of us left to hunt; me, Mark who I met at the clinic and hit it off pretty good with and a Hunt of a Lifetime hunter named Jordan. The next day, Tuesday the 26th started off just like the rest, meet to get radios at 4:30 and head out. I started hearing some good chatter on the radio and eventually some gunshots. That was encouraging so I really kept my ears to the radio. Finally after asking what was going on I got the call I was waiting for! "Nick, grab your gun and get up the road as fast as possible!" So off I went as fast as I could. So on the way to the spot I found out that Auction hunter x2 had killed two BIG bulls that morning! Also the two other cow hunters finished their hunts. I was the only one left with a tag. No pressure!
So after a few hundred yard sprint down the road it was time to be quiet and sneak into the blind at the salt station where the bison were remaining after 4 had already been killed. I made it in there listening to the ruckus going on. So I get my shooting sticks set and start looking for a legal animal. There were maybe 12 animals left at the salt and only one or maybe two were the right sex. They were going crazy! Doing like a washing machine type dance jockeying for the salt, hooking each other and the dead Giant on the ground. Finally I picked out one that had the legal parts. After probably at least 5 minutes of waiting for the right shot with the right animal, with nothing behind it, I had my clearing. I took one shot and it was a GOOD one. Right in the crease above the leg that broke the leg on the off shoulder. She was DOWN!
After such a slow, and unexciting start and middle, the climax of this hunt was off the charts! 5 buffs from one herd down and a lot of happy hunters and guides! We averaged 14 hours a day in the blind and I did that for 11 days. I took maybe 6 hours the day of the hail and a 4 hour break on the 4th day to change spots and make some calls. You can do the math but it was a LOT of time in the blind!
Thanks to my Lord for His bountiful harvest, my wife and family for putting up with me before the hunt and keeping on while I was gone, the other hunters for the teamwork, Russ and his helpers Cody and Jacob, and the Game and Fish for the opportunity. This was a very unique and rewarding experience!
post-2759-0-48329500-1469837046_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-52484500-1469837471_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-45036100-1469837594_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-08958000-1469837948_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-27375600-1469838045_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-01770500-1469838163_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-52718800-1469837704_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-57189900-1469837178_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-96018100-1469837275_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Great job and story Nick!!!

• Like 1

Wow. awesome! Congrats!

• Like 1

Savage 110 with iron sites in 30-06. Probably cost under $300 new at Imperial Hardware back in the day. Here's another back story. My best man in my wedding has had some major tragedy in his family. Lost his Dad who owned this rifle, to Alzheimer's, then his sister killed herself, and just a week before the hunt his little brother was in a tragic car accident with brain injury, punctured lung, broken bones in ICU. I was really hoping to bring some good cheer to my buddy when I could tell him I got it done with his old man's gun. Used the Barnes copper 168 gr. Ammo. Mission accomplished!

• Like 5

Wow man that sound intense!!!!! Great job and way to stick with it!!!!

• Like 1

Awesome job! Congratulations! Your hard work and perseverance paid off.

• Like 1

Nick congratulations! Great story and pics, thanks for sharing! I was wondering how it went, I had been checking every couple days to see if there was any noise on your hunt. Sounds like you guys cleaned house. Enjoy the table fare, it is the best! I just ate my last chuck roast from two years ago, gonna miss that bison meat in the freezer.

• Like 1

SO AWESOME!!!!! Way to go, Nick!!!!

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the amazing story with the site!!

S.

:)

• Like 1