Sign in to follow this  
SwarovskiCoues

Stone Glacier Backpack

I have a close friend that has one..... best hunting pack on the market. Best gear comes for a price. In my humble opinion I would save money and get another year out of current pack, if price is of concern, and purchase a Stone Glacier. Looking at reviews and through research it is easy to see they are in a class of their own. All top of the line packs out right now are easily below Stone Glacier. Wish I had the budget. I know a lot of guys will cry when I say this, but to me Stone Glacier makes most top of the line packs (to remain nameless...) look like Walmart Ozark Trail. ... Buy one, you will not have buyers remorse.

• Like 1

I have had the SG Terminus pack for a few years now and have nothing but good things to say about them. It is a minimalist pack with very few pockets, but the comfort and weight more than make up for the inconvenience.

Another good pack company to consider is Kifaru.

• Like 1

Never seen one in pereon. I run a kifaru dt2 and love the thing. my back and legs definitely appreciate the switch. I think kifaru, mystery ranch, Exo, and stone glacier would be safe bets for quality gear. Check on rokslide classifieds for used gear.

• Like 1

Never seen one in pereon. I run a kifaru dt2 and love the thing. my back and legs definitely appreciate the switch. I think kifaru, mystery ranch, Exo, and stone glacier would be safe bets for quality gear. Check on rokslide classifieds for used gear.

i have a kuiu icon 5200 for past two years and heavy loads hurt my lower back. ive heard good things about all the packs you have listed

Kifaru customer service is what sold me. Not saying the others are bad but I've spoke with Aron multiple times and he was always willing to help. Good luck with your decision, there is lots of info out there.

• Like 1

Kifaru customer service is what sold me. Not saying the others are bad but I've spoke with Aron multiple times and he was always willing to help. Good luck with your decision, there is lots of info out there.

that dude is a badass mofo, i listen to podcasts hes in an read his forum posts. dude is crazy in the backcountry

• Like 1

My wife surprised me with a stone glacier pack and they are awesome. Unfortunately, she surprised me with the wrong one and wrong size. Messing around with it though you can tell it is an amazingly built pack and super light weight.

I have a terminus, and love it. If you're in tucson you're welcome to come check it out.

To say that all packs other than SG are "below" them is ridiculous. Which pack is best for any given person is totally subjective based on the user's body type, physical dimensions, and use requirements. Any of the high end manufacturers offer features that may or may not be important and how you prioritize them depends on what you value most.

I have not owned, handled in person, or tried on a SG pack. I would love to try one and if the opportunity arose, would purchase one in a heartbeat. I have used Kifaru packs extensively over the past 12yrs, well before Aron went to work for them. Aron is a great dude and has been awesome to scores of customers in all disciplines. In combat overseas, hunting here in the states, and for general backpacking I've trained in them and lived out of them for extended periods of time. They are heavier than an equivalent offering from SG or Kuiu but I have yet to wear anything with a load in it that carries or handles weight better. Again, I have not tried any of this in a SG but I've found no reason to. Weight is important but the difference isn't so great that I'm willing to give up the capability and comfort I've found in brand K.

So to the OP: I'm sorry for not answering your question directly. I just think its vitally important to try them personally if you can then make a decision based on what suits you best. Unless you have personal reasons for remaining loyal to a specific manufacturer you shouldn't limit yourself to what I or any of my "friends" say are the best. Accept guidance and recommendations with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Pac - you put great perspective on the table..... to OP I did get excited in my response and could have used better phrases or words to describe. To me, I think highly of SG when I have compared to others. Everyone has strong suggestions on things they think highly of ex: from diesel trucks to socks. Pac is right , do your research and weigh pros and cons, as well as thinking of gear you are putting in pack. ....Respectfully.

• Like 1

I've heard great things about their packs and they are definitely lighter than my Mystery Ranch 6500. I would however be more concerned with how a pack handles loads and its durability in our abusive AZ brush than a little extra empty pack weight that is hard to differentiate when fully loaded... for me at least.

Lot's of good packs out there these days.

I have a terminus, and love it. If you're in tucson you're welcome to come check it out.

Why do you have a pack, all you ever carry is your tripod and binos dummy.