Last Wednesday I was out in unit 1 calling for bear. I had about hour and a half left before sunset so I decided to call the entire time. I was about 25 minutes into calling and my left leg was completely numb. So I paused my calling for a few seconds on started to shake my leg to get some blood flow back into it. Before I knew in this guy grab my boot. It was a rodeo for the next few seconds, I had kick him off with my other boot. I grabbed my pistol and shot at 5 yards between my legs. I had no idea what it was at first, I yelled/screamed all at the same time! Never saw him come in. I posted on FB but I know some of ya aren't on there.

Just got the skull back all boiled out. The third pic is next to my bear skull, pretty darn similar

post-2686-0-39255900-1471980060_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-87473600-1471980125_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-98999800-1471980161_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

Awesome stuff, Vowell! Thanks for sharing. Your story is much better than mine but a hunting partner and I had an interesting encounter scouting just over a month ago.

I got back in my hammock after a midnight IPA drainage and heard something beating against a tree not 10 feet away. I freaked out thinking I pissed off a bear, got my partner out off his cot and we immediately had pistols drawn, couldn't figure out what was so small that we couldn't see it but so pissed off it could shake an oak tree so violently. Further investigation revealed it was a badger.

Like a little girl, after 45 minutes of throwing rocks and not wanting to discharge a pistol in the middle of the night, I went and slept in my truck. That little bastard would not move from the base of that tree.

• Like 1

In the 2nd pic, is that the baculum? If so, is it the bear or badger? And if all you CWT members (no pun intended) are curious what baculum is....just google it!!!

• Like 1

Wow, that's crazy! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

• Like 1

Great story man! You should've had a full mount done with a boot in its mouth!

I'm still trying to spot one out in the hills!

• Like 2

Yea that is the baculum from the badger, ha just seeing if someone would notice. Yea it was pretty Crazy and to see a badger up in the Aspens. He was 31-32" long 12" across. This one smelt to high heaven to, I got one last year as well and he didn't stink at all. I'm glad I had my pistol with me!

So what call were you using?? jj congrats

Used this fox pro call on the very left, sounds like a cotton tail. I was making it wine a little longer than a cottontail though. Bought them at AJI for $20 at Apache Junction in a three pack. On the calls it has "Dillion" written on all three, so I don't think Fox Pro actually makes it.

post-2686-0-15459700-1471990247_thumb.jpeg

To bad you weren't wearing a gopro, that would have been great to watch.

Interesting how similar it is to the bear skull, I might have guessed a bear cub if I was looking at them side by side. You would think the front of the skulls would come to more of a point in seeing them and looking at the picture from your tailgate.

• Like 2