I have a #1 RSI in 30-06. Has anyone noticed accuracy issues with this gun? If so what did you do to correct it or help? Also what hand load are you going with?

Thanks.

I don't but a friend has a #1 in 25.06 and even with a lot of throat erosion if shot well. Tell us more about it, how long have you had it and what loads have you tried.

Not to be a jerk but have you let someone else shoot it?

• Like 1

3 out of the 4 been around had issues. Best they would do is 1 moa at best on a good day. One shot half moa all day. I still love the look and feel.

• Like 1

Most of the accuracy problems with a Ruger #1 is because of the way that the fore end attaches to the barrel. I shoot a #1 in 7mm mag and it always shot OK with a variety of handholds but never great. Eventually I added a Hicks Accurizer. You have to do some work on the fore end to install it but what you end up with is a set screw that allows you to adjust the pressure on the barrel and you can basically tune the whip of the barrel to your load. Made a tremendous difference with my rifle.

• Like 1

I've tried numerous factory loads. I got the best results from Barnes TTSX and Hornady custom. At 100 yards was seeing about a 3" group. I built some handloads, just haven't gotten it yet yes, I've let others shoot it and have used a quality rest each time. I know it will never be a tack driver but would like a little more accuracy. I've seen it vertical string 6-8 inches (before I had ruger replace the forearm). I'll look at the stabilizer you said and see what I can do.

I've never trusted groups at 100 yards ( get it on paper at the 100 yard mark and move it to 200 yards for your grouping ) to me this is your true grouping, I've had rifles shoot ok at a 100 and shoot great at 200 just my .02 cents of thought on getting a true group performance out of the rifle you're working on......

• Like 1

TD- What are you hunting for with your 30-06?? elk? coues? I have several 30-06s . I hand load for them one has a 20" barrel. an additional place to ask this question is 24hourcampfire. ron

Ron. I have a nov elk hunt. I know a lot of people have opinions of heavy bullet more mass that impacts or lighter bullet travels faster. I'm going in the middle. I'm thinking 150-168 gr

I doubt you'll ever get that RSI to shoot. If you know anyone that likes Rugers (relatives etc) I'd try to dump it on them

I would try it with 150-grain non-lead bullets (TTSXs or E-Tips) and 165-grain Nosler Partitions or AccuBonds. I have had two RSIs (a .243 and a 7x57) and both would group three shots around 1 inch at 100 yards with loads that they liked. You'll be giving up around 100 fps with the short barrel in .30-06, but the elk won't be able to tell the difference.

If it just won't group, I would try free-floating the fore end. Take it to a gunsmith who knows No. 1s--it's not expensive and it often does help RSIs that just won't group well. While you're there, have the trigger adjusted to your liking, too.

I have a #1 RSI in 30-06. Has anyone noticed accuracy issues with this gun? If so what did you do to correct it or help? Also what hand load are you going with?

Thanks.

Are you the guy that I met at Ben Avery two weeks ago? When I was out there with my daughter?

Welcome to the club! Remember, watch out for that a-hole I was telling you about...