Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Hiking

I finally got off my dead arse today and started hiking again. I took my 4 year old up to Thunderbird hills and we did a couple miles on one of the mountains. He had a good time and I wasn't in quite as bad of shape as I thought. I still have alot to do though to get some lbs off and get in better shape. I did wear my badlands pack too to start getting used to it. If you see a fat guy with a badlands pack on and a 4 year old ahead of me, it is probably me.

Does anyone have any other good hikes locally?

• Like 4

There is a nice trail I hike at Calderwood Butte on 99th Ave north of Jomax road. There is a small parking lot on the left side of the road. The trail goes to the top and you can do a circle around the top part and back down. I have killed 3 rattlers so keep your ears open. I like to hike with a ski pole now. David

I finally got off my dead arse today and started hiking again. I took my 4 year old up to Thunderbird hills and we did a couple miles on one of the mountains. He had a good time and I wasn't in quite as bad of shape as I thought. I still have alot to do though to get some lbs off and get in better shape. I did wear my badlands pack too to start getting used to it. If you see a fat guy with a badlands pack on and a 4 year old ahead of me, it is probably me.

Does anyone have any other good hikes locally?

HAHA!! That's almost a description for me as well... except I'll have two 4 year old girls.

North mountain is a good hike on 7th an Thunderbird.

+1 on the poles. Tons of snakes out. Be careful people!

Any kid friendly hikes down near san tan valley/mesa? I took my girls out in 37B and they ended up getting tortured by cholla.. lol

So we have been 3 weekends in a row now. The 4 year old said he wanted to do the BIG mountain last weekend. I told him it was long, but he insisted. I switched my badlands backpack for a kid toter and carried the 30lb 1 year old and extra water.

The 4 year old did great on the hike to the top other than he kept asking how much farther. We got to the top and took his picture next to the American flag and we had a snack. On the way down though the length of the trail started getting to him. On the walk back next to 5th Ave next to the mountain he wanted to give up and was pretty whinney. We had a pep talk and we powered to the end. We were both pretty spent at the end but I didn't let him know how toast I was. He did great overall, but we will save that trail til later when. He is in even better shape. :)

Harley

• Like 3

There are so many good hikes in Maricopa County - and all over the state for that matter.

This is a local favorite of mine:

IMG_4250%20Edited.jpeg

• Like 2

Great read...

Better Execise - Get Outside

Any kid friendly hikes down near san tan valley/mesa? I took my girls out in 37B and they ended up getting tortured by cholla.. lol

Veterans Oasis Park.

Great read...

Better Execise - Get Outside

I'd rather hike 5 -15 miles in the boonies any day over 90 minutes in the gym. Although this time of year I don't want to do anything outside in the valley. I do HIIT workouts once or twice a week mixed in with other workouts on other days. I like being able to do short workouts in the gym when I have other things to do. 30 minutes of intervals burns the same calories as 70 minutes of jogging, but yeah, they're no fun...

There are so many good hikes in Maricopa County - and all over the state for that matter.

IMG_4250%20Edited.jpeg

what app is that?

what app is that?

All Trails - Premium Edition