Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

Getting ready for quail

YES!!!! Can't wait! I don't have a dog anymore (had a Vizsla for a while....), but either way I absolutely LOVE running and gunning gambel's!!

Daughter has a Jr. Elk tag that will keep me occupied on opening weekend, but will be out after that!

S.

:)

• Like 1

YES!!!! Can't wait! I don't have a dog anymore (had a Vizsla for a while....), but either way I absolutely LOVE running and gunning gambel's!!

Daughter has a Jr. Elk tag that will keep me occupied on opening weekend, but will be out after that!

S.

Is it hard to do without dogs? I have a couple spots I've seen quail in. I've never hunted them.

Guest akaspecials

S.

Is it hard to do without dogs? I have a couple spots I've seen quail in. I've never hunted them.

It can be frustrating without a dog. I've dropped birds and looked twenty minutes only to find them dead right where I thought they went down. Just make sure that right after your shot you kick the ground where you are so you have a reference from where you shot. Then visually mark where the bird was hit and what direction it fell. As soon as you get to that spot, drop your bag or mark the ground and start walking in increasingly larger circles till you find the bird.

Quail hunting in the desert is totally doable (and a lot of fun) without a dog. Just don't shoot if it will fall into high brush or hard to reach areas cause you'll never find those birds.

Getting pumped for quail. Been roading my GSP's and getting them tuned up and ready.

Walked the dogs this morning along a ditch that has lots of gambel's and with the nice breeze coming perpedicular to the ditch we were able to get a lot of good points and close flushes! Bring on some cool breezy days in Oct!

• Like 1

S.

It can be frustrating without a dog. I've dropped birds and looked twenty minutes only to find them dead right where I thought they went down. Just make sure that right after your shot you kick the ground where you are so you have a reference from where you shot. Then visually mark where the bird was hit and what direction it fell. As soon as you get to that spot, drop your bag or mark the ground and start walking in increasingly larger circles till you find the bird.

Quail hunting in the desert is totally doable (and a lot of fun) without a dog. Just don't shoot if it will fall into high brush or hard to reach areas cause you'll never find those birds.

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

I'm getting excited. I won't hunt in October because it's still too hot, too many snakes, and a there is still a lot of juvenile quail. In my opinion the season starts a couple weeks too early. Come November it is on!! Dogs need to start running to get into better shape by then.

S.

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Not hard without dogs at all, IMO! Heck, I was born and raised here in AZ and I didn't even know what a hunting dog was until I got older and moved away for college! :lol: I would venture to say that the majority of Gambel's hunters in AZ don't use dogs at all. Just run & gun, drive to a new spot, and repeat! ^_^ (Mearns & Scaled a TOTALLY different story, of course.....)

That being said, I agree with akaspecials that it sure helps to take a moment or two to mark reference points upon downing a bird. Have spent lots of time over the years walking in circles, looking under bushes, and then going back to where I shot from to 're-reference' the spot! All part of it though....

S.

• Like 3

I'm getting excited. I won't hunt in October because it's still too hot, too many snakes, and a there is still a lot of juvenile quail. In my opinion the season starts a couple weeks too early. Come November it is on!! Dogs need to start running to get into better shape by then.

After a few intense snake encounters October is usually off the list.

• Like 1

Funny how many people worry about the snakes. Sure there's always a chance of running into one but you take a bigger risk just going to the grocery store these days.