PJM

12A West Youth Hunt - Who's going?

Just pulled in the driveway coming home from 12a. Saw well over 1000 deer in 4 days. Been just barely freezing at night but the wind has been stiff.

It was a great hunt! Weather was fantastic. Our camp tagged out 4. Thanks to the AZ Game and Fish for providing this valuable experience for our youth hunters. The game check-in station was very educational for the two youngest hunters in out group.

Hope everyone had a great experience.

Her you go. Had the best hunt of my life! Enjoyed a great weekend one on one with my 10 year old daughter. She was incredible and so was the weekend. Got into camp around 300 on Thursday evening. Setting up camp we had 15 deer 50 yards away for an hour. Ended up seeing about 60 deer Thursday evening. Eating dinner that night she said "you know what Dad? That was incredible. Im ok if i dont get a deer. We just saw so many! That was cool". Friday morning she was up at 5:00. Asked her how we were going to do this. It was her hunt after all. She wanted to walk out of camp and chase the deer we had in camp the afternoon before. So we startered walkibg a ridge out with plans on droppeing into the canyon an coming back on anoher ridge. 15 minutes in we had 8 deer right below us. The angle was too steep for her height and ahe could barley see them. They eventualy got nervous and blew out of there. We worked over to the other ridge in the direction of those deer. At ththe top we wlaked into a father and son who alerted us to another group just below on the backside. We decide to work the top back up to the ridge. Trying to give everyone room. 5 minutes later we are back in deer . I got her set up and just as she went to touch it off the doe trotted away. My daughter was all smiles! She was loving it. We headed back north her plan was to walk another one of he old logging cuts. Befor we hit th next ridge there were more deer. Again she got set up for the shot. Trying to coach her as best i could she took a breath and boom. I thought i saw the deer drop but wasnt sure. Deer scattered everywhere. Then i hear her crying. She got a little excited and moved up on the scope. Took it in the eybrow. Al little bruise and a few tears later we moved forward to check for blood. I start looking for sign she whispers "dad that looks like a deer butt". Sure enough her doe wasnt 10 feet away. The video footage i got at a that point was priceless. She was so happy. Tears of joy and a little sadness. She was overcome. She approached her deer with great respect and happiness. It couldnt have gone anybetter. The hunt was over in an hour. She was done at 715. She help dresss the deer drag it out and skin it at camp. Asking question the entire time.

Truly the best hunt ever. She says the worst part is she has to wait a year to try and get another. So happy to have a new hunting partner.

post-12676-0-94405700-1476162876_thumb.jpg

post-12676-0-92493000-1476162905_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Her you go. Had the best hunt of my life! Enjoyed a great weekend one on one with my 10 year old daughter. She was incredible and so was the weekend. Got into camp around 300 on Thursday evening. Setting up camp we had 15 deer 50 yards away for an hour. Ended up seeing about 60 deer Thursday evening. Eating dinner that night she said "you know what Dad? That was incredible. Im ok if i dont get a deer. We just saw so many! That was cool". Friday morning she was up at 5:00. Asked her how we were going to do this. It was her hunt after all. She wanted to walk out of camp and chase the deer we had in camp the afternoon before. So we startered walkibg a ridge out with plans on droppeing into the canyon an coming back on anoher ridge. 15 minutes in we had 8 deer right below us. The angle was too steep for her height and ahe could barley see them. They eventualy got nervous and blew out of there. We worked over to the other ridge in the direction of those deer. At ththe top we wlaked into a father and son who alerted us to another group just below on the backside. We decide to work the top back up to the ridge. Trying to give everyone room. 5 minutes later we are back in deer . I got her set up and just as she went to touch it off the doe trotted away. My daughter was all smiles! She was loving it. We headed back north her plan was to walk another one of he old logging cuts. Befor we hit th next ridge there were more deer. Again she got set up for the shot. Trying to coach her as best i could she took a breath and boom. I thought i saw the deer drop but wasnt sure. Deer scattered everywhere. Then i hear her crying. She got a little excited and moved up on the scope. Took it in the eybrow. Al little bruise and a few tears later we moved forward to check for blood. I start looking for sign she whispers "dad that looks like a deer butt". Sure enough her doe wasnt 10 feet away. The video footage i got at a that point was priceless. She was so happy. Tears of joy and a little sadness. She was overcome. She approached her deer with great respect and happiness. It couldnt have gone anybetter. The hunt was over in an hour. She was done at 715. She help dresss the deer drag it out and skin it at camp. Asking question the entire time.

Truly the best hunt ever. She says the worst part is she has to wait a year to try and get another. So happy to have a new hunting partner.

So awesome! Congrats to the new hunter and to you dad as well... great job!!!

Reviving an older thread here. Who's going on this hunt this fall? My son drew the first youth hunt...I've hunted the unit before and know my way around a little but I'd love to hear more from those who hunted this last year!

My boys will be there in Nov. The camp that they host I understand is phenomenal, we just tag out on the way to it..

There's more deer than squirrels. And since you've hunted it before, you know it can get really cold. I'd bring the gear for it. Good luck!

Would you guys recommend this hunt over an antlered hunt for a first time kid? My middle boy will be old enough for his first hunt next year.