MuggyMan

Spring Hunts

Getting ready to put in app and I see for spring turkey there are 2 hunts, an early hunt lasts 6 days and a second hunt that's 20 days. Why 2 hunts? Is one better than other? Are turkeys mating during the entire time for both hunts?

Getting ready to put in app and I see for spring turkey there are 2 hunts, an early hunt lasts 6 days and a second hunt that's 20 days. Why 2 hunts? Is one better than other? Are turkeys mating during the entire time for both hunts?

In my experience the biggest difference with the hunts is the location of the birds.

The early hunt most are still lower and toward the end of the hunts more birds are in their summer areas.

The first hunt gets 7 days, then the second hunt gets 7 day, then both hunts start again until the end. Usually the first hunt is best as its closest to the "rut" but the entire spring turkey season is in the breading time frame. Just the farther you get in the year the higher the chance the toms are with hens and less receptive to coming to calls.

• Like 1

Actually the first hunt is 7days long the second hunt is 7days then after the second hunt everyone drawn for that hunt gets to hunt the remainder of the hunt, normally two more weeks. Now I'm not a turkey hunting expert by any means but in general the hens are laying on their eggs by the first week of May. Hens can have up to three nest attempts if earlier nests fail. I don"t believe it matters at what elevation you hunt. Here is a picture of a young man I mentored last years youth hunt (a week prior to the opener) at over 9000 ft elevation.

Garner%20Turkey%208_zpsqsjby9yf.jpg

Personally I like the later hunts the older bigger gobblers are easier to call in because they are not with their hens. Good luck which ever season you choose.

• Like 6

Actually the first hunt is 7days long the second hunt is 7days then after the second hunt everyone drawn for that hunt gets to hunt the remainder of the hunt, normally two more weeks. Now I'm not a turkey hunting expert by any means but in general the hens are laying on their eggs by the first week of May. Hens can have up to three nest attempts if earlier nests fail. I don"t believe it matters at what elevation you hunt. Here is a picture of a young man I mentored last years youth hunt (a week prior to the opener) at over 9000 ft elevation.

Garner%20Turkey%208_zpsqsjby9yf.jpg

Personally I like the later hunts the older bigger gobblers are easier to call in because they are not with their hens. Good luck which ever season you choose.

Awesome picture!!!!

• Like 1

" Now I'm not a turkey hunting expert by any means..." I call BS on this statement! :P

But, yes, I agree with Bill. I like the early season because they are less pressured and not as call shy, but I love the later part for why Bill likes it.

• Like 1

" Now I'm not a turkey hunting expert by any means..." I call BS on this statement! :P

hmmm you don't seem to recall to well our last turkey hunt the only thing shot was a vehicle but that is another story for another time. :D

• Like 1

Awesome picture!!!!

thank you NTS here is the video to that hunt if you care to watch. this was one of my most memorable youth hunts we worked hard for this bird, I had called in a bird off his roost earlier that morning with another youth hunter and ended up taking him so the pressure was on to get his friend (the young man pictured) his bird. We were working up the side of a ridge I would stop and call occasionally and finally got this bird to answer. I thought he was coming right in but he ended up being with hens. He would come to within 75-100 yards then go back to his hens which were working up the ridge away from us we would set up call he would come in a little go back up the ridge we would slowly work up the ridge toward him setup again and call this went on for awhile I finally had to turn to one of my old bag of tricks to bring this tom a runnin 45 minutes later. You can see by the picture the young man was somewhat happy. As you can see by the video there were four individuals on this hunt I always say when turkey hunting two is to many but we got it done.

• Like 1

I agree with the above statements, but I have always prefered the early season. I've shot birds during both seasons and I've been skunked on both seasons. Quality scouting is highly important for either season to ensure you are hunting where the birds located.

When turkeys are spooked or pushed away from an area, do they return back to the same area?

• Like 1

It's a roll of the dice from year to year on which is the best hunt. Hardest part is getting drawn!

hmmm you don't seem to recall to well our last turkey hunt the only thing shot was a vehicle but that is another story for another time. :D

I recall it very well! I still watch the video of Syd working your box call! I'm about to order her one of her own for Christmas, too! As for the vehicle thing, we still shake our heads and giggle a little. I wish you could have seen the look on your face when you told me what happened! :D

When turkeys are spooked or pushed away from an area, do they return back to the same area?

they typically stay in the same area. I have been on a number of spring youth turkey hunts where the youth has shot and missed and we called the same one back the next day.

Thanks for all the awesome replies!