Cell4soul

Lightweight Build

I just returned from a successful hunt in Wyoming. I am setting a new goal for next year to lighten up both myself and my hunting equipment so I can more easily get further into the back country where hunting pressure is less. Prior to this season I dropped 20 lbs, which definitely helped. By next season I want to drop another 25 lbs off myself and shed at least 10 lbs off my gear. For the gear I am going to start with the rifle. I have a Remington Model 7 in .300 SAUM that I am going to build. My hunting buddy in Wyoming is a long time machinist and happens to build rifles as well, so he will be doing the work. I left the Model 7 in Wyoming and will be sending him build parts as I can afford it. The build most likely won't start until after the first of the new year so I have time to save some money.

For the build, I am going to likely go with a Proof Research barrel and haven't fully decided if I will go with 22 or 24". I am leaning towards a 24" barrel. I will most likely chamber it in 7 SAUM to shoot either the 162 ELD-X or 168 VLD Hunting. The other option I am considering is a 270 SAUM chambered with a 1:8 twist to shoot the 170 grain Berger EOL's. I am leaning towards the 7 SAUM just because of the numerous 7 mm bullet options. Brass will not be an issue....between loaded rounds and once fired cases, I have over 500 pieces of .300 SAUM brass to work with.

The model 7 action is stainless and it has a laminated thumb hole stock that came from the factory. I really like the thumb hole stock and not sure I will change that. I will likely just free float and bed it. Then, I plan to remove some of the wood from behind the thumb hole to reduce weight a little. I will add a side ported brake to reduce recoil. I will add a fluted bolt. For the scope, I have been researching options. I really like the Zeiss Conquest HD5, but hate the elevation turret, Zeiss dropped the ball on that. As of right now, for weight and options I want, I am leaning towards the Vortex Razor HD LH 3x15-42. It has the features I am looking for, a decent price and comes in at about 16 oz. For the trigger I am considering Trigger Tech. My buddy shoots them on his rifles and I really like the crisp, clean break. It doesn't hurt that they are a little over $100.

So after that long winded opening, I am looking for thoughts and opinions:

22 or 24" barrel?

7 SAUM, 270 SAUM or ????

Vortex Razor HD LH or ????

The following is the only photo of the rifle I have as it currently sits. It shoots 165 grain factory bullets at about 2975 FPS out of a 22" barrel.

post-13685-0-18440500-1476661444_thumb.jpg

I am going to see how I like the rifle with the laminated thumb hole after I remove some of the wood from behind the thumb hole. If the rifle is heavier than I want at that point, I will go with a McMillan. I am trying to do this on somewhat of a budget. Regarding the Zeiss Conquest, the only ones I have seen in person had a capped elevation turret, which I don't mind. But, the turret adjustment itself is not numbered and the hash marks are hardly identifiable. Do they have a different turret option that I have not seen? I like the scope a lot and think it is a lot of bang for the buck in a light weight package and will be higher quality than the Vortex.

Need to be choose wisely with McMillan. They can be pretty heavy. Manners has one that is 1-1/2 pounds

• Like 1

Need to be choose wisely with McMillan. They can be pretty heavy. Manners has one that is 1-1/2 pounds

Good advice. And they will inlet for whatever my specs are?

• Like 1

You might consider removing the recoil pad on the stock and boring out the butt, and removing some wood from the inside the barrel channel. Flute the barrel.

Looked at Manners website. I didn't see that they inlet for a Model 7 on their stock builder. I will try to contact them. Chances are I will start with the thumbhole that I already have and try to lighten it up a bit. Then as I can save a little more money I will replace the stock.

Looked at Manners website. I didn't see that they inlet for a Model 7 on their stock builder. I will try to contact them. Chances are I will start with the thumbhole that I already have and try to lighten it up a bit. Then as I can save a little more money I will replace the stock.

I think it will cost more and a more wait time if they custom it. Yeah call and double check

Be careful when it comes to the stocks, they take time to build. I've heard a couple horror stories about manners taking up to a year to get them made. They make awesome stocks though! I'd look into them or a McMillan with the edge fill. Just know that it could be very difficult to get one last minute.

I'd ditch the 7 SAUM unless you have a brass hoard. You'll also have issues with max OAL in factory Mag stuff with the heavies unless you plan on giving up case capacity which defeats the purpose.....

I'd run a #2 in a sako hunter Edge at 22". I'd chamber in 6.5 GAP 4S with that bolt face. You can throat for the 130 bergers and run factory box...

Unless you are going to run custom mags you are limiting your options in that platform...

Similar build I am working on.

I like the idea of a Proof barrel, but you could save $300 and get a fluted #3 Bartlein @ 22".

McMillan Edge or Manner Elite Hunter series stock. There are a few other high quality lightweight stock makers out there too.

Timney trigger (I have 5, 2 of the CE @ 8 Oz, 3 of the 210 @ 1.3-1.8#)

The fluted bolt will look cool, and save an Oz or 2.

Scope choice is solid for lightweight. Not positive on glass quality yet, as I haven't looked through one yet.

That laminate stock has to be fairly heavy.

Alloy base and rings.

If you go with a light taper barrel, look at the APA Micro Bastard brake. I have one on my 7RM w. #3 fluted Bartlein, and it is turned down to barrel contour, and work amazingly well. My 14 year old just used it to take a cow elk on Saturday morning. Pushes a 180 Berger Hybrid @ 3000fps and kicks like my .25-06AI in a 10# rifle.

I will probably be chambering in 7RSAUM too, for the 168 HVLD. Not sure of the box mag length of the Model 7, but in a R700 SA, they should fit fine.

• Like 2