portas.d.ace

Best Bullet placement for bear hunting

i love hunting and always looking out to learn new things. i am planing to hunt bears pretty soon and i will like to get all the facts down.

Please i will appreciate your real life experiences:

what is the best bullet placement for taking down a black/brown/grizzly bear?

what rifle is best for bear hunting and what ammo?

i have heard rumors about violent bear, some say if a bear gets too close to you, its better to shoot yourself in the head than to let the bear take you apart.

i will appreciate you comments.

Thanks,

The black bear I shot was about 200 yards away and weighed about 200 pounds, maybe a little less. It was feeding and facing away when I shot. The bullet hit in the back just off of the spine and below the shoulder, it went about 10 feet and died. The bullet was a 120gr Barnes original X Bullet out of a 7 Rem Mag going about 3350.

The only other bear I have seen shot was a young grizz that was maybe 500-600 #'s. It was hit broadside just behind the shoulder at about 150 yards from a 338 Winchester Mag as it fed on the bank of a river on some discarded salmon. When it was hit it jumped into the river then spun around and went into the willows. We gave it an hour and crossed over and it was laying just barely ten feet from shore.

i have heard rumors about violent bear, some say if a bear gets too close to you, its better to shoot yourself in the head than to let the bear take you apart.

Don't think I'd take that advice. I wouldn't go down without a fight. I'd unload my magazine and use everything down to my survival knife, If I had to.

Don't know what your chances would be... but there's a chance. If you do end up surviving, you'd have one heck of a story to tell your buddies around the campfire.

• Like 1

rumors? its no rumor. theres a well known bald headed killer bear in these woods.

In the vitals. Black bears are not that tough that a well placed shot from any rifle capable of killing a deer will not take a bear too.

Don't think I'd take that advice. I wouldn't go down without a fight. I'd unload my magazine and use everything down to my survival knife, If I had to.

Don't know what your chances would be... but there's a chance. If you do end up surviving, you'd have one heck of a story to tell your buddies around the campfire.

yes its best to never go down without a fight