Apatkelley

Huge price drop on Leica Geovid???

I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B. They have been priced just over $3,000 for quite some time, and then yesterday I get a Cabela's flyer showing them at $1,999.00 I have to admit I was really tempted to run down and grab a pair, but had a couple concerns.

• Why such a huge drop in price? Are they going to reduce a new version soon?
  • This kind of huge value can kill resale value (feel bad for anyone who just paid three grand)

I've owned several pairs of Leicas and I'm sold, just never owned a pair of Geovids. I've used the older version and really liked it, it just bothers me that the warranty is limited to 5 years. When I've spent top dollar on quality glass I've felt better about it with the lifetime warranty. Is the convenience of the Geovid really worth it considering the potential for huge hits to resale value and a very restrictive warranty period?

let me know what you think regarding my concerns and please provide your thoughts or reviews on the product. I've checked out several reviews online, but always appreciate the good honest feedback you guys provide.

Thanks!

i have the old style geovids and love them. this is a killer deal and really has me thinking

I've held the older Porro prism model I have side by side with the newer Perger Porro model. I was impressed. 2k is a great deal.

Leica has killer glass!!!! But their warranty scares me off!

• Like 1

Where have you been old man?? IM me your cell number.

Supply and demand, Swarovski has the market share and a better warranty. I know couple guys that tried to get service on Geovids and the repair almost wasn't worth the expense. They now own Swaros.

• Like 1

I've been able to spend sometime behind the new geovid and the optic quality is great. What I don't like is the ergonomics of them they have this weird bend in the barrel that I didn't like at all. They also seem very heavy for a 10x42. If it were me id save up and buy the el range and never look back

There is a new model coming out. 2200 yard rangefinder that does angle compensation twice as far as current. Also upgrading the "click" and moa part of the unit. Current is 2000 yards on the rangefinder. I've been playing with a current one for the last week or so. The are incredibly impressive pieces of equipment.

I have them and they work great.. my take on the price drop is simple

the B functions are all things/ info you can get for almost free

the angle of the shot... my shreelok on my phone was like 10 bucks and does it

barrometric pressure can be optained on your phone with several weather apps as can air temp

this being said, I love mine but probably not the best money I have ever spent

whitey