Sign in to follow this  
zunicowboyup

looking for a place to hunt in unit 23

any info can help, I recently had injured my ankle, looking for a place to hunt where I can walk about 2 miles tops.. before my foot starts acting up, I got a mule deer hunt coming up in the middle of November. Thanks

The flats near Roosevelt lake will work

Oops I just noticed this was in the NM section. My advice is off by about 200 miles. Sorry

• Like 1

I usually bow hunt the north end up between Grande Estates and Luna. I think the farthest shot for a rifle up there would be about 200 yards as it is fairly timbered and brushy. I don't know of anyplace to do two mile walks unless you want to drop about 1000 feet into a canyon and then back up. Maybe if you had a buddy to drive down the road to pick you up someplace. I followed the few roads for the most part this last year due to an injured ankle. I made the mistake of dropping down into one of those canyons and now I get to have surgery on my ankle.

I usually bow hunt the north end up between Grande Estates and Luna. I think the farthest shot for a rifle up there would be about 200 yards as it is fairly timbered and brushy. I don't know of anyplace to do two mile walks unless you want to drop about 1000 feet into a canyon and then back up. Maybe if you had a buddy to drive down the road to pick you up someplace. I followed the few roads for the most part this last year due to an injured ankle. I made the mistake of dropping down into one of those canyons and now I get to have surgery on my ankle.

Sorry to hear that! We were supposed to put in together this year, maybe next? I Have the early Mule Deer rifle hunt in 23 again this year.

I am getting it done in Jan. after the contract I am working on at KAFB is over. I should be healed by the first part of April. Figure I would give up the Jan. bow hunt to go in for surgery. I will get it worked out and not go against Dr.'s orders this time. I got it hit, rolled, at the SlipKnot concert I took my daughter to about 2 weeks before hunting season. I made my own walking cast since theirs would not work out in the woods. Mine worked for the most part until that canyon, rock rolled under me and I slid down hill a ways with most of my weight on it.