shanehamblin

Hard work with great friends pays off big!!!

So this hunt really began in January when my cousin Willie was out trying to stick a buck with his bow. Came across some studs day in and day out until he laid eyes on something special. A giant coues buck. A 4 hour stalk later he had to watch his arrow sail over the bucks back and he watched him leave for good, or at least for the rest of the archery season.

It wasn't long before he had cameras in the area and was getting pictures on a consistent basis of the giant buck and his buddy who was also a giant deer. Trip after trip in there our hunt was growing closer and closer and before we knew it Oct 20th was here and we found ourselves hiking in with 60 lb packs to get our camp set up and start scouting for the evening.

Camp was set and we had glasses some decent bucks nothing from the "hit list" but we couldn't have been more excited to be sitting in the position we were. About 10 pm the rest of our hunting party came stumbling into camp. We had a good bs session and were ready for the opening morning.

Daylight came almost to fast and we were set up to glass when immediately Willie glasses up the 2 big bucks. Literally had been glassing for 2-3 minutes. As Willie and Brandon were gathering their stuff up to make a move me and Justin noticed the deer seemed nervous so I scanned around and about 30 yards to the left there was the biggest prettiest bobcat I've ever seen in my life. After about 10 minutes the deer had all they could take and finally went over the top of the ridge and out of our site. By this time Willie and Brandon were already making their move so they just continued on to the back side of the ridge. We watched them also go over the ridge and we were out of the game we could no longer see them or the deer. 15 minutes passes and 2 does feed over the ridge were the bucks went over the top. We called over the radio to let them know. Hoping the does would give the bucks away and the was their poison. The does led brandon and Willie right to the bucks. That's when from where I was sitting we began to hear shot after shot. But the best part was you could hear the impact report as loud as the gun shot itself. Then we got the good news over the radio. BOTH BUCKS DOWN. We got over to them and we all just stood in awe for a little while. We knew they were big but had under judged them significantly.

We got them back to camp right at dark and we were just crushed!!!! Had a great night at camp reliving what had just happened. I was now the only one with a tag in my pocket and had 3 of the best glassers I know glassing just for me. We hiked to a new area at daylight and began to pick apart the country. Immediately we glasses up buck after buck but nothing I was interested in shooting. About 7 o'clock I glassed up a good looking deer and we looked at him for 15 minutes before we decided Justin should put in his 32x lenses so we could get a better look. It only took a few seconds and I was getting ready to shoot. After a few warm up shots I drilled him. We hiked over, trailed him up and had to put one more in him and it was all over.

This was the most rewarding hunt I have ever been on hands down. Easily the most physically demanding thing I've done in a really long time. Can't wait to do it again. And can't think of a better group of guys to be in the hills with. For those that care. Willie's deer scored 132" Brandon's went 123" and mine went 112".

post-3423-0-82180200-1477782162_thumb.jpgpost-3423-0-84901200-1477782210_thumb.jpgpost-3423-0-98748300-1477782240.jpgpost-3423-0-70296100-1477782273_thumb.jpg

• Like 31

Looks like it's gonna be a great year for the lucky ones who drew tags this year. Amazing bucks. Getting the itch to trade my bonus points I have been saving for a December mule deer tag for a coues tag next year!!