PatrickJr

Last Youth Elk hunt

After spending 4 days helping a friends daughter on her youth deer hunt and not being able to get it done on the buck we had been watching, it was time for me to leave on my elk hunt. I packed up my stuff and picked up one of my best friends, Reyes, and we left Monday night, Oct 10th. Got up to my unit after midnight and we slept in my truck. Woke up and made the short drive to where we wanted to glass. Found multiple herds right away, but i was never able to get close enough. Around 10am, we went to set up camp and got done around noon. Made a quick trip to town for gas and ice, then on the way back i was able to shoot this coyote at 375 yards with my 223.

post-12189-0-20838500-1478015071_thumb.jpg

That afternoon, we wanted to get up on the one mountain in this unit and glass the flats. We did and found elk right away again.

post-12189-0-57243400-1478015511_thumb.jpg

They were two miles away, Reyes stayed on the hill with a radio so we could talk. I drove the truck and cut the distance in half. All i took with me was my rifle and an antelope decoy because there was no cover. I ended up spooking that herd but was able to run into another group and started to head them off. Reyes had another herd spotted in case these didnt work out. I was closing the distance and was less than 500 yards when i came up to the edge of a small wash. I looked across the wash and saw a cow standing there. I quickly sat down, pulled out my bipod, chambered a round, and ranged the next opening. It was 180 yards, i didnt even have to adjust the scope for elevation. She stepped out and a perfectly placed shot from my 257wby had her on the ground. It was awesome to just be chasing elk for a couple hours.

In this photo, you can see a big herd in the middle, this was the backup herd. The lower group of elk, i had no idea about, and reyes never saw them. They ended up being the group i killed out off.

post-12189-0-85276800-1478016545_thumb.jpg

We had all the meat packed back to the truck by 9:45. The next day we slept in, and packed up camp, then headed back to Tucson. It was great to be able to go up on this hunt with one of my best friends and be successful.

post-12189-0-26722100-1478016464_thumb.jpgpost-12189-0-70757600-1478017673_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Great story of your short but sweet hunt. Congrats Patrick!

• Like 1

Way to go! Short and sweet and able to share it with your best friend, awesome.

• Like 1

Congrats and even better to do it with a best friend, thanks for sharing your story.