Sign in to follow this  
kane44

Wife's First Buck! 12AW Kaibab

My wife drew 12AW early hunt, got out there Thursday evening after a long drive from Queen Creek got camp set up by just before sun down and there was already sooo many people.. After at least 10 other hunters drove right by our camp scouting that night,the morning hunt was looking crowded to say the least... Set the alarm on our phone to be up at 4:30am to beat the crowd hoping everyone would turn around once they saw us there..Opening morning woke up after a sleepless night anticipating what the morning would bring, I did not see one truck light as far as I could see!! Wow, maybe we got lucky and everyone had better spots... After sitting for what seemed like an eternity and wondering WTH was going on thinking the horizon should be lighting up by now and still not one truck driving around..How weird ,I must be going crazy!! That's when it my wife looked at me and asked"WHY DOES THE TRUCKS TIME SAY ITS 3:30 AM?"....it's on satellite time by the way..uh oh.. No wonder there's no one out😂Long story short we fell asleep in the truck to wake up late with three trucks next to us...Not the way we wanted to start out.. After we got to our spot I picked up 2 small bucks pushing each other around about 400yds away with about 3 does...I watched them for 15 min hoping for a bigger buck was with them to no evail..Started glassing other areas and saw just does.. 15 min later a shot in that general direction where they were fighting but not at them.. After another 10 min From below them I see a big bodied deer feeding but still no antlers yet... All of a sudden he looked up and my stomach dropped, huge 4x4 with nice spread..I knew we had to act quick due to all the orange specks propped up on every ridge around us.. I ranged him 387 yds broadside with 10 million burnt trees in the way lol...After an agonizing 5 min of my wife trying to find him in the scope she finally said those words we all want to hear" I Found Him"...Hallelujah now take the shot I said...Before I could finish saying that she shot and he dropped where he stood.. I could not believe what just happened...This was her first deer hunt ever and I couldn't be more proud of her!! post-14270-0-16411600-1478584610_thumb.jpgpost-14270-0-01286000-1478587264_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

Great first buck! Congrats to your wife!

Nice buck. We were parked down the ridge from you (white jeep)...you stopped and talked to me on your way out. We ended up seeing a few nice bucks that day in the same area. I finally got my buck on Tues down in the lower areas of the unit. Again...tell your wife congrats.