portas.d.ace

what to do when an angry bear approaches?

like always i will appreciate your real life experience. i have heard humors that its best to shoot yourself in the head than to have a bear rip you apart. have anyone here every encounter and angry bear or predator?

post-15025-0-24534700-1479119745_thumb.jpg

Luckily, I have never had an issue with an angry bear. I do always carry a sidearm with me though, for that situation that hopefully never arises.

I carry a .22short pistol for bear protection, that way there is no recoil and it doesn't hurt my ears when I shoot my friend in the knee and walk away...........

• Like 5

Calmly talk to the bear, typically, once they realize you're human, they scatter. I've had MANY bear encounters and never had to shoot one. But should the need arise, then shoot, shoot shoot, reload and repeat!!!

• Like 1

I never had any encounters. I usually carry pepper spray so I can spray my friend in the face and get away.

• Like 2

I never had any encounters. I usually carry pepper spray so I can spray my friend in the face and get away.

Lol, you are evil.

i see guy guys believe in being prepare, well i have heard humors. that it is best to shoot yourself in the head than to take a change when a angry bear is on you.

Ive had stare downs with a couple of them. You put your hans up to look bigger than you are and yell at them and they usually turn and go pretty quickly.

I would note that a bear that comes in to a call is much different than one that you just happen to cross paths with. Called bears are I. The 'hunt mode' and its harder to change their minds when theyre set on a meal. The one time I thought I might get eaten was on a bear I called in on accident when calf calling trying to photograph elk.

The bears that I've just bumped into turn tail and run with little convincing. Ive yet to bump a female with cubs though, and everything I read suggests that in this situation the best course of action is to calmly sit down, place your head between your legs and kiss your arse good bye.

• Like 1

Its best to just crap your pants, They don't like the smell, Works like pepper spray.

I've had three animal issues, that I recall, one was a mortality wounded bear, one was a bobcat that required me getting rabies shots and the third was herd of javelina that were attacking, regrouping and attacking again. Each I used different defenses. The bear ended w/ a couple of 45 rounds(long story told over a campfire w/ beer)at ten feet, the bobcat ended w/ an arrow at 6 feet, and the javelina finally gave up after me swinging an arrow wildly and hitting a couple in the face w/ grapefruit sized rocks at 3 feet. I was the most nervous with the javelina they would attack from two sides.

• Like 1

I stood off a giant coastal brown in western Alaska. Luckily he didn't come all the way, stopped at about 50 yds, blew some snot and tore up the bushes. It was impressive for sure but a 375 H&H shouldered and ready to go made it alot more comfortable.

backpacking Hellsgate Wilderness Area, came around a corner and a little, tiny bear cub ran up a branch of a cottonwood that had fallen, was only maybe 6 ft away from me, no hesitation I hollered "bear" to my partner and jumped in the creek and started swimming, after a few strokes I rolled over on my back and looked at the shore, Mamma Bear was standing there stamping her feet and woofing, had I paused for a moment and thought what a cute little cub Mom would have messed me up bad.

I bumped into a momma bear and cub in a raspberry patch up on the Rim. The cub ran away from me at about 20'. Couldn't tell what it was right away, as it ran through the thick bushes. Then momma stood up about 40 yards up the hill, looking at me. I stepped out in the open, raised my arms and yelled "Hey momma bear". She dropped and ran up the hill another 10 yards....stood up and stared at me again. I did the same thing, this time waving my hat in the air. She dropped and ran up over the hilltop. Then I heard my wife yell, "There's a bear up here". I yelled back, "hang on to the dog". I didn't realize my wife and dog had worked their way around the hill and up top. Thankfully, I didn't get between momma and cub, and the cub ran to safety. I've ran into bears a few other times, and they ran away. I suppose under the wrong circumstances, it could turn bad quickly. I usually carry a sidearm. I believe research states that bear spray is more effective than trying to hit a charging target with a sidearm.

• Like 1