lancetkenyon

Taylor Takes Her 1st Muley

I don't know where to start. Taylor's deer hunt was probably my most anticipated and long awaited hunt I have ever been on. From any of my tags over the past 31 years, to any of my kids tags prior to this. Just knowing she had a late rifle Kaibab tag, and my love for the unit, had me literally jumping for joy in my office the day I found out she drew it.

Last year, Taylor drew a 12AE early rifle tag. We hunted extremely hard, and saw 85 bucks over the course of 9 days. Including 5 that were bigger than anything I have ever taken. We could not put 2 & 2 together, and no great opportunity presented itself, and left us leaving at the end of the hunt empty handed. It was one of the most exciting, and excruciatingly frustrating hunts I have ever been on, leaving me feeling utterly disappointed I could not put Taylor in the right place at the right time with the right amount of preparation to take a good shot. It was humbling and a real learning experience for both of us on what we needed to work on over the next year. Shooting accuracy when she had time to set up was not the issue. She had been shooting to 1330+ regularly. It was getting set up quickly, and target acquisition we would be working on for the next year.

We practiced quite a bit over the next year on rabbits. That really helped a lot. And was a blast too.

We also worked up loads using non-lead ammo for the hunt after I attended an ammo testing seminar with AZGFD with focus on using these types of bullets on the Kaibab to help the California Condor program. Had some 6.5mm 127 LRX loads for both my 6.5 SLR & .260 Rem all ready to go.

2 weeks prior to the hunt, we were all packed up. Excitement and over prepping had me making weekly trips to Cabela's and Sportsman's. We were ready for pretty much any type of weather, from 70s to sub-zero temps. I checked the weather reports daily, talked to a lot of guys that had early hunts, muzzy hunts, archery hunts, Strip hunts, etc. I thought I was ready for the craziest rutting mule deer hunt like all the cool guy videos show......expectations on my part were sky high. I had visions of grandeur of 30"+ non-typicals dancing in my head. Unseasonably warm weather preceding the hunt had other plans.

Wednesday morning, we headed out of town @ 6:30AM, and made it to our camping spot. As a lot of you found out last week, I like to be where I can get phone reception. So we camp close to Jacob's Lake. Got camp set up by 3:00PM, and headed out to find all the huge bucks pushing does.....saw 3 small bucks that evening. What?

20161116_062933_zpst9sutrto.jpg

I am so photogenic it is sickening....

20161116_063103_zpstysj3dzu.jpg

Spectacular sunset on Wednesday

DSC_0242_zpstwjmqawi.jpg

Thursday @ 3:00AM. Wake up and hear snow falling on the tent. Hoooray!

20161117_055531_zpsrg8hcwen.jpg

At 5:00AM, up to find about 2" of snow on the ground, 16 degrees, but 20+mph winds. Uh-oh. Drove to one of my spots to glass. Glassing in 16 degrees into the 20+mph winds sucks. I don't care how much Thinsulate you have on. Hard to glass when your eyes are watering, your nose is running, and your ears fell off after an hour.

20161117_065318_zpskgh9ha2f.jpg

20161117_094330_zpsdosv53ew.jpg

We drove around, stopping and glassing, and seeing one other group of guys all day long, I think we passed them 3 or 4 times.

Sunset was at 5:30ish, and the winds finally died about 4:30PM. Deer were up and moving finally, after being hunkered down all day long. We had seen one group of 8 does, all day. Finally, we saw our first decent mature bucks. Two 4x4s coming out of a deep catclaw choked canyon on the lea side of the wind. One was maybe a last day shooter, one was a mid-hunt shooter. Maybe 24-25" wide, decent forks, kind of spindly. But a pretty buck.

DSC_0267_zpsptwn3lrf.jpg

We discussed expectations as we watched them slowly top the ridge at 200 yards. Again, my goal was the first 5 days, a brute, day 6 and after, any mature 4x4 or better. Taylor was feeling the pressure I think, and her goals were probably not nearly as high as mine I would come to find out. She wanted a redemption buck , basically, any decent buck I would "let" her shoot, didn't matter if it was opening morning, or last day sunset. She wanted to fill her tag.

Opening morning broke clear, cold, and still @ 5:00AM. We were up, I was stoked, and Taylor was calm and ready......

20161118_061053_zpshxqcjcke.jpg

Got to one of my favorite spots about 30 minutes before legal light. Within 10 minutes...

DSC_0283_zps9gsjd9ph.jpg

So I broke out the binos, and started glassing. I saw 5 different 4x4s within 30 minutes. Nothing huge, saw one that was a mid to end of season shooter in my opinion, Taylor kept asking, "Is he a shooter?" I kept telling her no.

While watching that buck with a few does at about 350 yards, I could see another hillside behind him, and caught movement on it. Does. I watched them, and a big buck appeared trailing a doe. 1200 yards away.....

Grab the rifle, rangefinders, tripod, etc, and take off at a fast trot down the road to get around the hill and get a closer shot. Of course that would have been way too easy. By the time we got over to another hill between us, to get about 200 yards away, we caught the last of the does w he was following going into some thick catclaw at the bottom of a very steep and deep canyon. I knew we wouldn't see them again for a long time. So we decided to go check out some other areas.

Glassed up a bunch more deer throughout the day, mostly bedded. nothing big.

Heading back in the early afternoon to check on the big buck, we spotted a Condor. We had seen them flying, but saw a few on the ground. Checked with the binos, and noticed they were on a dead deer. We broke out the big camera, and parked and headed down to get a closer look.

DSC_0321%202_zpsavw8gdjp.jpg

DSC_0325%202_zpsv6qh52sd.jpg

DSC_0346%202_zpswjwueqrk.jpg

DSC_0349%202_zpscbhbqac6.jpg

DSC_0364_zpsxv3aey0e.jpg

On our way down to check, Taylor also found her first deer shed.

DSC_0365_zpspwd8j5ko.jpg

So we got back to one of my glassing spots, above where the big buck disappeared early in the morning, and after about 30 minutes, I pick up a big grey rock on the other side of a canyon. I watched it for about 10 minutes, wondering if it was a deer. Some does wandered into the view of my 15s, and low and behold, the rock turned into the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen and stands up. I ranged him at 550 yards, and tell Taylor to look alive. I had about 30 seconds to see he was a big 3x3 before he crested the ridge and was gone, taking the does with him. Thinking he was going to head down to a flat at the bottom of 3 fingers where I routinely see deer feeding, we beat it back to the truck, and drive to the end of the road to get in glassing position. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later, I see does start to trickle out of the canyon into the bottom, with a decent 4x4 trailing them. Then, "Hulk" appeared. He was not really rutting hard, but he definitely was keeping the 4x4 at bay. The photos are not the best, as they were with my phone through my 15s. But you can see the bulk on this guy, and the darker coloring.

20161118_170455_zpsi3etqcqo.jpg

That deer to the left is a mature 4x4. Not huge, but probably a 3.5-4.5 year old buck by the looks of him.

20161118_170531_zpswww45fxy.jpg

After Taylor asking me, "Is he a shooter?" about 5 times, and being the 1st day, and the fact he was 2 canyons over through some deep, steep, catclaw filled canyons with about 10 minutes of light left, we decided to pass on him. I sure would like to have gotten a closer look at him though.

Saturday broke clear, a bit warmer @ 28 degrees with just a bit of wind, maybe 8-10mph? Taylor could hardly contain her excitement on the drive out.

20161119_062012_zpstotucrer.jpg

We beelined it back to the glassing spot from the previous evening, in hopes of seeing "hulk" again and getting a better look at him. We got there about 20 minutes before legal shooting light, and I glassed the other side of the canyons quickly first to see if they had come out of the canyons into some more open flats in the bottoms of some fingers to feed overnight. No deer.

So hiked over about 200 yards to the canyons, and started glassing. About 45 minutes later, just as the sun started to peak up over a ridge, still no deer. Near or far.

I figured we could drive back up the road about a mile and get above some other canyons that fed into the area and glass those. Packed up, and figured one last look at the opposite side wouldn't hurt. 1 minute later.....

Me, "There's a buck. A decent one."

Taylor, "Is he a shooter?"

Me, "Grab the gun and get ready, let me take a better look at him."

I got out the 15s, and took a look for him......umm....where did he go?

​Found him about 30 seconds later, as he was moving pretty steadily, probably towards a bed somewhere in the nasty stuff. Ranged him at 550 as he was moving, and took a bit better look at him, and let Taylor look at him too.

Grab the rifle, binos, etc., and take off at a trot down the road that paralleled his path he was moving on. Got just a bit ahead of him, still at about 550 yards, and got Taylor set up prone and comfortable just off the road in case he gave us an opportunity. With a bipod on the front, and a combo of hats, gloves, and a Gatorade bottle for a rear rest.

Taylor got him in the scope and said, "I like him." While I was still debating on holding out for bigger, I realized that Taylor really wanted a buck, and this might not be the brute I had envisioned, it was a good buck, and a fantastic FIRST buck opportunity. Looking back as I write this, this taught me that even though I hold out for mature animals, kids just want to get an opportunity. So I am really glad I told her, "If he stops, put one in him".

20161119_072050_zpsytmsvhfb.jpg

So here I am, running back and forth between my 15s and Taylor, ranging the still moving buck, and not having time to bring up my Shooter app, but relying on the drop chart I had worked up for the conditions I thought we would be in, and realizing they were almost dead on to what I had planned for, telling her what to dial. 2.2mil, now 2.4, mil, now 2.6 mil, the whole time, Taylor tracking her buck in the scope set at 16x instead of 24 to get a better FOV. 637 yards. Now 2.9 mil. If he stops, put one in him. As I turn to walk 2 steps back to my 15s.......BOOM! Then I hear WHOP.

Me, "You hit him. I heard the impact!"

Taylor, "He is down. He went down HARD right as the bullet hit him. I saw it hit and his fur ripple."

Me, "Are you sure? I don't see him. Where was he?"

Taylor, "I got him, he is not moving."

Me, "Chamber another round, and if he twitches, put another one in him."

20161119_072054_zpsldsludqr.jpg

20161119_072152_zpsx70y5vcm.jpg

So Taylor watched him through the scope for about 10 minutes, and she could barely see him, but said he wasn't moving. She told me "He dropped like we see in the videos, straight down. Face first in the dirt. He is dead Dad."

So the 6.5 SLR pushing a Barnes 127 LRX @ 3010 just took it's first deer ever. At the hands of my 14 year old daughter. And she now has the longest big game kill in the family @ 637 yards. Something to be said for a heavy gun, with light recoil, and good optics to be able to call your own hits when you have no spotter.

So last place I had seen him was to the right of the tallest tree on the ridge, below the dark tree with the big branch sticking straight left.

20161119_072957_zps32oixaqg.jpg

Taylor looking for him through my binos so she can show me where to head.

20161119_073759_zpsa4bjouvu.jpg

The buck was on this ridge, actually further right than my finger is pointing.

20161119_073803_zpsincf7e1t.jpg

So since the 6.5 SLR weighs in at 15+#, we grabbed the 10# .260 Rem for the hike over in case we would need it. Looking back, I could have left it at the truck, and saved myself some pain on the first trip back, but you never know.

That is the look of a happy kid right there as we head over to find her deer.

20161119_080152_zps2hyhjqsm.jpg

As we are getting close, at the bottom of the second small canyon, we see some deer sky lined.

20161119_081526_zpszsfv6s8h.jpg

Taylor, "That is not my buck is it?"

Me, "No way, your buck was better than that. He is a small 4x4."

20161119_081532_zps6rulpwzs.jpg

So we get to the "Biggest, tallest" tree, head to the "black & yellow stump", and start looking around.......hmmm.

Taylor looks at the photos from the shooting location, and says, "I think he was a little further right."

She goes that was, I go back to the stump, and head over, then down. "Taylor.....I got him. Oh yeah, he is done."

20161119_083603_zpsn5dlluc3.jpg

Now, I knew he was decent. Pretty tall. I knew his backs were good, fronts a bit weak, but not too bad. I was pretty happy when we got to him though.

Took a bunch of photos, tagged him, then the work started.

20161119_084604_zpsnspavloy.jpg

The shot was just at his shoulder/neck junction, spine shot that also took out the front of the lungs. The reason he dropped at the shot. Wind had moved the light bullet about 4" forward.

20161119_084829_zpslryhrzjv.jpg

20161119_084903_zps7tiaixcr.jpg

DSC_0377_zpsqybq4yeq.jpg

She waited a year and a half to do this....tag her first buck.

20161119_095758_zpsh9rvnwdv.jpg

First trip, I packed the gear, rifle, and head and cape. Taylor took a rear quarter.

20161119_104548_zpsyw1l08hj.jpg

This is a view looking back to the truck from the deer location on the second trip out. See the small black dot? Yep, that is the truck.

20161119_121947_zpstduthvca.jpg

Halfway back on the second trip out.

20161119_125330_zpstw48pdno.jpg

It took us 6 hours to pack him out. Exhausted, and elated, Taylor had her first deer under her belt. She shot at about 7:45AM, and we did not get back to camp until 3:00PM. So we made a big hot lunch, took a "camp shower", and started breaking down camp.

Camp shower in 45 degree weather. A small tent, pallet for a floor, propane heater, and a stock pot full of hot water! Like heaven on earth when you smell like deer.

20161119_151445_zpsquv3mplk.jpg

So, here is the kicker. Again, I knew her buck was pretty good. But I did not realize how good until we got back into town and took him to the taxidermist. Taylor's deer on the left, up against my 164" buck on the right.....yeah, she shot a great deer!

20161120_122512_zpsuwmxxvja.jpg

I am so proud of Taylor. She is a real tough girl, and a fantastic shot. Plus, her sense of humor, true excitement, positive attitude, and pure joy to be around sure makes hunting fun again. Not just out there trying to better your last deer and putting the pressure on yourself. She is truly a fantastic young lady.

In closing, spend time with your kids. Teach them the outdoors, the skills for hunting, the skills for shooting, the joys and pain that hunting sometimes forces upon us, and appreciate the beauty and wonders of God's creations.

And thank God for the bounty He gives us, in both the memories and the full freezer.

Thanks to my wife as well, for her putting up with our nonsense and childlike excitement for the hunt. She is an amazing woman.

And, now I sit at home doing laundry, prepping to butcher a deer, and plan my next hunt soon. Elk with my other 2 kids!!!

• Like 40

Lance you guys have the most amazing adventures. You have to be so proud! You have an amazing little woman right there. What an incredible story and write up. Congratulations to the both of you. Just awesome.

• Like 3

That is awesome man! I always enjoy your posts. Really glad to see your daughter tag out on an amazing buck! Congrats to the both of you!

Congrats Lance, what a write up and how special with your little girl.

Lance,that is an incredible story with pics and writing.Congrats to both of you,I felt like I was there,and even had tears in my eyes as I got to the end.It reminded me of my first buck in 1962 on Jump Up point with my dad.Well done my friend,Cliff

• Like 1

Taylor you are Awesome!!!!!!!

Lance you continue to impress and amaze me all the time. Great job getting your daughter ready for her hunt and most importantly ready for life!

I can't wait to see pics of the deer on the wall. Huge Congrats to both of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2