Red Rabbit

Optimum Coues Cartridge?

What would you consider to be the optimum cartridge to use for Coues hunting? Bullet choice for that caliber? Why did you make this selection? What are your other close considerations? What chamberings have worked and/or not worked for you?

It seems there are some build discussions going on in the forums as the seasons end and hunts for next year are considered. I figured a variety of opinions and reasons would be fun to read. You may already have that chosen cartridge, or yearn for something better.

Due the small size of their vitals and the distances they often present themselves at, whichever one of my rifles is the most accurate. Fortunately I have several that are awesome. Flavor of the week I guess.

With that, I've only taken one coues. I used a 308 win. My choice was because it was scary accurate to 900 yards and I knew the rifle and load intimately. My bullet of choice at that time was the 168 amax because of their rapid expansion and ability to expand at low velocities. Plus I had them screaming out of the 26" barrel.

If I had to go today, I'd grab my 280AI simply because I've had more trigger time with it this fall than any others. It's also a solid performer. Using the 162 ELDM. After I dial my latest 308 in and validate it's load, I'll likely be inclined to take it in the future.

• Like 1

Through the years I have hunted Coues with a 280 Rem, 270 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 6.5 WSM and 6.5 Creedmoor. All will work but some have limitations and other seems like overkill. No H&R rifles though ;-)

At the moment, the best choice in my possession may be the 6.5 WSM. With that said, I think the 26 Nosler may be my optimum choice shooting the 130 Scirocco. The 26 Nosler should push the 130 Scirocco at 3400fps which would still have 2090fps at 1000 yards for good bullet expansion. I had figured the 260 Rem and 6.5 CM would hit that 2000fps wall about 700 yards with more drop and wind drift. Turrets can handle the drop difference easily, but wind is more difficult.

The Scirocco would be my bullet of choice in case there was a short range encounter, where I think a high velocity Berger VLD or Scenar may create an ugly wound channel. The Scirocco also has a higher BC than the bonded 130 Accubond, another bullet I like.

Casey mentions his 28 Nosler with the 180 Berger. He and I have spoke and a Legendary Arms Works rifle chambered in 28Nosler has been added to my stable. I have run the numbers between the 28Nosler with 180 ScenarL and the 26 Nosler with 136 ScenarL (similar bullets for more apples to apples). It is real close and the 28Nosler has no flies aside from a little more recoil. I think it will make a great elk cartridge too.

Chambering/bullet/BC/MuzzleVelocity/vel@800 yards/drop@800yds/energy@800yds/wind drift@800yds

28N/180Scenar/0.661/3100fps/2213fps/-110"/1957ftlb/25"

26N/136Scenar/0.545/3400fps/2277fps/-96"/1566ftlb/28"

6.5WSM/130Scirocco/0.571/3200fps/2167fps/-108"/1355ftlb/29"

The 26 Nosler (or 6.5-300 Weatherby) may be close to optimum for Coues, in my opinion. But since I have a purty 6.5WSM, I will stick with what I have for now.

• Like 1

picking up a .264winmag to turn into a long shooter, plan on the Hornady 143 gr ELDX if the rifle likes it, speed wise it will fall between the 6.5x284 and the 26 Nosler

6.5x55 Swede pushing a 129 grain Hornady SST at about 2900. I carried one for about 25 years and it just holds a special spot for me. Shot 120 grain Sierra's out of it. These days I would go with the SST, better ballistic choices but the SST is a mean bullet. There's a guy on here selling a Forbes in this caliber, really nice set up.

I would love to pick up that Forbes but my Grandpa's Remington model 14 in 30 Remington, shooting a 150 grain Core Lokt or Power Point needs to breathe again. Maybe next year.

I know the animal in this video isnt a coues deer but you may not need to step up to a 26 Nosler from the 6.5 WSM.

This one is a little 6.5 Creedmoor

• Like 1

After seeing what the 180 Berger did to a heart today I'm saying the 28 Nosler is amazing!

Have you loaded for the 195 EOL's yet? My buddy has a long action he is wanting to re-barrel. I'm trying to convince him he should go with 28 Nosler with 8 twist to shoot the 195's.

Something in 6.5 or 7mm burning 45-60 grains of powder with a bullet with a BC of 0.5+ in a rifle with a reliable tracking scope that is no more than 8 pounds all up. This will get you to 700 yards...

Take your pick...

• Like 1

257 Weatherby fast flat long range low recoil 115 vld killed several animals my 4 oldest kids grew up on that caliber killed several coues, mulies,goats and elk no problem

• Like 3

Nope and absolutely no desire to load the 195s.

Why? Why? Why? I would like to see how they do

I am thinking that our Little Coues Deer may be the largest contributer to the economy per pound of meat. You young whippersnappers will never experience going hunting with just the old ought 6 or thirty-thirty, a canteen, a knife and a 7x35 binoculars. LOL

• Like 2