Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Brett's Big Tom

Wanted to share some pics and the story of my friend Brett's (Couser4) lion we killed Friday. While helping out on some late elk hunts this week I found a lion kill by complete luck. Knowing it was fresh I put up a trail camera and checked it the next day. I had some friends with hounds there and we saw the lion had been in at 130 that morning and we were there at 630. We gave it a go but we're unsuccessful in catching it.

The next morning we tried again and the camera showed the lion had been there two minutes before we showed up! We let the dogs out and very quickly had the lion treed. We were guessing the lion to be a female judging off the pictures but at the tree was a nice big tom. Brett decided he wanted to shoot him and two perfect shots later the lion was down. He was much bigger than we originally judged.

I decided to leave the camera on the kill to see what came by and I checked it today and there was another lion on it! Looking back through the pics we decided we were right that the original lion pics we got were of a female. The Tom we caught literally must have been just coming through to check the female and got caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time and went up a tree. Great timing for us and now there's still a big female around to attract more toms into the area.

All in all it was a great hunt and very interesting the way everything played out.

post-8945-0-29302500-1480918580_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-89339200-1480918607_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-36804300-1480919599_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-34802800-1480919645_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-32901800-1480919684_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-86367200-1480919722_thumb.jpg

post-8945-0-08158800-1480919734_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks for sharing man. This was an awesome hunt with how it all played out. The odds of us running into that tom while running off that females kill is just crazy! The dogs were treed for a bit and we started walking over there but then the dogs were working a track out so we waited. Most of the back were working back while one dog hit the next ridge and lit up and we could see it working down parallel to us. So we walked down our ridge kind of towards the other dogs and where this one was working. Walking down we got a skunk smell and we were watching the dog work and as we moved on I look up in this tall pine that was blocking the sun from me and I see this perfect silhouette of a lion blocking the sun "there it is!!" That image won't ever leave my head. I for sure was surprised to see a good tom in the tree when we were thinking we were running a female which we may have been at first but it all came together perfectly to catch this tom. It's awesome to have been going out with my brother in law with his dogs and other friends over the years to see these lions each year but now it was my turn to be the hunter on the right tom at the right time. I won't ever forget this day that's for sure!!

Huge thanks to Blake for finding the kill and huge thanks to my brother in law and another friend with their dogs!

• Like 2

Wow what a monster!!!! What was the kill? Elk or deer? Weight estimate of that Tom?

Huge congrats!!!!

I'd estimate around 150. He was a nice mature one for sure. Up here they max out around 160-165. Haven't seen any much bigger than that. The kill was a cow elk but the female we didn't catch killed her. I'd imagine this cat wouldn't have had any problem killing whatever he wanted including a big bull elk if he was feeling crazy.

• Like 1

ya running into one of those unprepared would make me pucker. Great job all around! I wish we could see more of those on the ground. (and wolves)

Thought I'd share some more of our luck this morning. My brother in law and myself went varmint calling and at the 15 Mark of our first stand here came a lion! It didn't give us a good shot as it sat back about 100 yards in some thick brush. It finally made its way up the hill away from us so we called my buddy with the dogs and we had it treed in no time. Turned out to be a smaller female but was still cool to have called her in. She lived to see another day.

post-8945-0-38621400-1480974526_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very Nice