Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Female Lions

Dog's don't act any different when trailing a female. With that being said most houndsman just like trailing a cat.

You're right they don't. But the houndsman can definitely make a decision based on the sex of the lion in the tree. And exactly like you said because they like to trail any lion they like more females around to produce those lions.

I think there should be no restriction on a female or male other than what AZGF has set in the regs. As soon as we start complaining, the liberals are going to try to change the regs which we don't want. But I get it, if a houndsman wants to let the females go, good for him, more cats for him to stay in business. If he has a paying client that wants to shoot a female, then shoot. I personally if I ever call a legal cat in, it's getting shot. (Which I'm dream of)

As far as hunting them to low numbers, ain't gonna happen. That's why we have a conservation program called "Game and Fish". Come on folks, it's all personal choice!!!!

• Like 1

On top of what Flatlander and 25-06 said, leaving the females increases your chance of killing a big male down the road. If you know where some females are, you will eventually cut a good tom track as he comes in looking for a date. A tom is not much different than a lot of us, always on the lookout for food and a date?

Kill the females, and you lose your male magnets.

• Like 3

Shoot em all. Ever wonder why deer population is so low?...............BOB!

Shoot em all. Ever wonder why deer population is so low?...............BOB!

It's not. Where we hunt and catch multiple lions a year and let them go there's more deer than you can ever imagine. I think you'd better look to giving out thousands of tags in every southern unit for that answer.
  • Like 1

If you let the ladies walk then they don't go extinct. I say shoot them all.

• Like 1

Something else to consider ...

Generally speaking, female lions are much more territorial (approx. 25 sq. miles) than males (maybe 100 sq. miles). You kill a female, it may take up to a year before another female moves into that now-vacated area. You kill a tom, that lion could have been anywhere he historically traversed within his expansive wanderings (other toms will soon cross into that area now void of opposition).

Like coyotes, lions are here to stay. Your hunting passion (deer vs. hounds) will help determine how you feel about lion numbers in the field ...

P.S. I pray things never get to the point where wolves replace lions in the discussion!

• Like 1

Cause they give out thousands of tags doesn't mean there's to many Deer . Wake up Dude. Its not cause of drought ,its cause of Kitty's. It's the Desert, its allways a Drought. And there won't be to many deer in one area for to long in AZ. and yes Wolves will become more prevalent here..............BOB

• Like 1

Cause they give out thousands of tags doesn't mean there's to many Deer . Wake up Dude. Its not cause of drought ,its cause of Kitty's. It's the Desert, its allways a Drought. And there won't be to many deer in one area for to long in AZ. and yes Wolves will become more prevalent here..............BOB

Im assuming you meant to type because of thousands of tags there's not many deer rather than too many deer. You're gonna sit here and tell me because units like 36 have literally thousands of tags a year that's not effecting deer populations? But a few cats are killing them all? Stop living in your fantasy land. Lions don't kill nearly as many deer as the orange army every year. The unit the guys that have hounds hunt around here and have let females go the last 10 years has had the deer population sky rocket the last ten years. You can go see 100+ deer in a day if you want. But don't let a good story get in the way of facts.
  • Like 2

I agree with the too many tags comment. Whether its a general deer or elk hunt it seems like a Black Friday sale during these hunts. The excuse from G&F for the tag numbers.... ranchers! Ranchers complain about competition of (mostly elk) wildlife toward their cattle. So their fix, MORE TAGS! Since when did game and fish get in the ranching game?

Ideas like we can shorten seasons to add more hunts start to come about. So instead of a hunt that has 750-1000 tags that runs for 10-14 days, they can shorten the hunt to add another with the same number of permits!

Lions will kill for food. They always have, even back in the 80's when deer populations were through the roof. Like many other locals here in Northern Arizona, I'm crying "Too many tags!" Its time to lay off a little!

I know a few guys that have always been die hard hunters that are now in their mid 30-40's that are no longer applying, just because quality has hit a low, and the crowds have hit a high.

• Like 4

Way to many Deer Tags down south, I'm just glad a good portion of those tag holders don't venture to far from the road! As far as the lions I think they are like coyotes, when killed, others fill their vacancy in a short time period.

Always gonna be lions around, they are pretty darn territorial killing other males, keeping females in check!

There are a boat load of Lions in the 36's and not to many take the dogs in cause its too rough. .Bone collector I generally agree with You . There are some good pockets of Deer in the State. Lion hunter go in areas way in sometimes where hunters don't have acsess cause of horses too.. Not arguing ,just chatting.. Good luck Lion Hunters................BOB!