Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Misfires

Have you ever had a misfire with factory ammo? I believe this is the first time I've seen it happen and was curious if anyone else has had it happen to them. It was the last morning of the hunt and somewhat cost us an opportunity on a spike. Luckily we were able to make it happen later that afternoon on a small 5x5 instead.

post-4673-0-48912300-1481136692_thumb.jpg

post-4673-0-62500300-1481136729_thumb.jpg

Barnes TTSX BT 165 grain

Just had one a few days ago myself. Fortunately I just pulled the hammer back again and it went off the second time. Hornady factory Lever evolution ammunition.

I've had it happen on several brands of factory ammo and with both federal and CCI primers on reloads.

Sometimes happens, but it is rare. That primer looks like it should have went off. I've seen it happen where the firing pin spring is gummed with excess oil and it's just tapping the primer, or the firing pin head had been peened. Kleindorst makes a tool for Rem 700's to remove the firing pin from the bolt housing.post-6503-0-84081400-1481138047_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We were using a Ruger M77 mark ii but I was wondering if it could of been the firing pin. Never had an issue with it before but it probably deserves a look.

Sounds like misfires aren't extremely uncommon either though.

I've had several misfires with factory ammo. Even had one lot that had three sideways primers (found the first one the hard way...).

My only memorable misfire was a personal load on my 22-250 where I neglected to put powder in the casing and the primer fired but pffffffffttttttttt.......stuck the lead in the barrell.......embarrassing!!!

Is it photo optical illusion that those two cartridges don't look the same length??

My only memorable misfire was a personal load on my 22-250 where I neglected to put powder in the casing and the primer fired but pffffffffttttttttt.......stuck the lead in the barrell.......embarrassing!!!

Is it photo optical illusion that those two cartridges don't look the same length??

A few people have noticed that but I think it was just the way I was holding it. I'll have to check later though.

Sometimes happens, but it is rare. That primer looks like it should have went off. I've seen it happen where the firing pin spring is gummed with excess oil and it's just tapping the primer, or the firing pin head had been peened. Kleindorst makes a tool for Rem 700's to remove the firing pin from the bolt housing. 1207161204.jpg

Seen that bunch in the autos- 742, 7400, etc where wrong oil used and turns into tar and pin barely taps

Had it happen once 2 years ago. Only time. No problems since.

Had it happen on an AR after a trigger job with 3# springs but only on some PPU and SSA ammo. Must have thicker primers. Also had it happen on a Contender but that is because of headspace issues with them and only once in a while.

Never on a bolt action and my goto rifle is a 25 years old 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. Never had a problem with my handloads or any factory loads.

The bolt has never been apart, all original. I took it to a gunsmith in Mesa a few years ago just to have it taken apart and inspected (for piece of mind) and he refused to do it, looked like a simple job but oh well.

My only question is that is a 300 Win. Mag, which appears to be a belted case and they should headspace off the belt and not the shoulder. Would the OAL of the cartridge for the primer not going off not matter? Seems like the firing pin might be getting gummed. I have only had misfires on rim fires since I have not shot a factory load in over 25 years.

My cousin had it happen last year on his elk hunt. Excess oil + cold temps = soft firing pin strike. Ruger M77.

And there is a really easy way to remove the firing pin assembly from an R700 bolt. Shoe lace. Look it up on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVacK49mjDc

I can do only remember 1 misfire. It was Federal ammo, 40 years ago Mule deer hunting in 30b. Put my crosshairs on a huge 4x4 at 60 yards or so.....click. He was gone into the thick stuff before I could jack another round.

Only other misfires came from handgun ammo.