Sign in to follow this  
Anderson_HOTD69

Good trout fishing in 22?

Hey everyone. I drew the 22 Dec coues tag this year. Was getting stuff ready for the hunt and saw my pole sitting here and was wondering if anyone knew a good place to stop by and catch a few trout for dinner in 22 somewhere. Not looking for deer, just a little Creek or place that might hold some trout to make a meal out of. Thanks for the info.

I hunted bear there for three days with a spring archery tag about six years ago. I would park at the hatchery and hike out along the AZ Trail each day and hunt all day until after dark. At the end of my third day, I came back to a nasty note left under my wiper blades. It said, "You are a selfish fish hog beating us each morning to the creek and catching all the trout out of our favorite holes. Why don't you leave some for the rest of us!"

Of course, I enjoyed a huge laugh from that note!

• Like 3

How dare you hog the trout! Lol. That's pretty funny. I was debating on stopping at the hatchery on my way down. Mainly because I have been so cold up here I was looking forward to heading somewhat south for a while lol. Put in for December hunts they said, it will be fun they said... I'm 125 pounds. I don't deal with cold very well lol!!

I believe the Payson community pond is stocked with trout...but don't know for sure. Otherwise, Tonto creek would be about it.

Don't waste your time at Tonto. It is fished out within a week of stocking except for a few hidden stragglers. Its not stocked during the winter unless something has changed. PAYSON/HEBER doesnt have a winter stocking schedule.

You'd have a better chance at the salt river.

I believe the Payson community pond is stocked with trout...but don't know for sure. Otherwise, Tonto creek would be about it.

We fill green valley lake with processed waste water. They say you can eat them but I sure wouldn't.

Thanks for the update guys I appreciate it a lot. Gonna take the pole anyway. Never know what we will find or where we will end up. Might just go to bass pro and catch some of their fish ;)

Just north of Payson the Verde crosses under the highway, some big holes in there that migh have a hold out or two. But most streams are wiped clean quickly.