tjhunt2

My Bitter Sweet Wyoming Antelope

After 6yrs of buying bonus points for Wyoming I finally decided to cash them in while I'm still standing. A major accident a couple of years ago could have been my last hunt but the good lord has spared me and my back is a constant reminder I have to approach the hunting a little different than in the past. Since I can't seem to figure out how to get my pictures upright I will spare you with a few only. After my wife found out I was serious about going to Wyoming, she said not without her and Lexie our lab. We were on the trip 35 days and put 3500 miles on the truck pulling our 28ft fith wheel, Our first stop was Grand Junction visiting family before moving on to Cody, Wy. After 4 days their we entered Yellowstone thru the east entrance. Unbelievable place for sure. After a week in Yellowstone we exited the south entrance and headed for Jackson Hole where we stayed 5days and took in all there was to see. Every day on the road got me closer to my hunt outside of Kemerer, Wy. We stayed at a quiet RV park that had deer and antelope right in the park every day. We arrived on Tuesday and my hunt didn't start till Saturday so we took in some fishing one day with trout on the menu that evening. It totally amazed me the amount of antelope there were to look at. I found a water hole that had lots of bucks watering at and decided to purchase an archery tag for $30 that would allow me to hunt it a couple days before my rifle tag was to start. I put my Double Bull blind up but didn't hol on to any hope the antelope would approach it since it wasn't totally blended in to the surroundings. Boy was I wrong. The first day I had 5 bucks come to water. 35yrds was my farthest shooting lane and 15yrds my closest. I passed the first day and couldn't wait to get back to tell my wife how close they came to my blind. The second day I passed up 10 bucks and thought I had died and gone to heaven. The next day was Saturday and opening of rifle season. Up until now I hadn't seen another hunter so I decided I would leave my gun behind and not listen to my wife's suggestion to carry it to the blind just in case you need to reach out farther than I could shoot my bow. I was pretty confident I would arrow one of the bucks I had been passing on this day. Long about 9 am I see a buck heading right for me.I start to shake like a dog that just passed a peach seed. I miss a 35yrd shot and couldn't believe what had just happened. It was pushing noon and I have 5 bucks walk within 10yrds of my blind. Never heard them come in from behind me and my bow was on the ground. After a long drink they started to move away and I took the opportunity to reach for my bow. Now the biggest of the 5 was still dringing across the watter which was 25yrds. I was as calm as could be and place the arrow right behind the rib as he turned quartered away. He never knew what hit him as I watched blood poured from both sides. He staggered about 50 yrds and laid down. I was patting myself on the back that I had finally killed an antelope with my bow when I hear a shot rang out. I looked towards the bang and I see two hunter 150 yrds out. One of them just shot one of the bucks that was with mine. I think, no problem, untill I see them walking towards my buck. The hunters were a brother/sister team and the only way down off the self they were walking along was near my buck. My buck still wasn't dead and I could plainly see he was going to die any minute when he staggered to his feet and was about to fall over when you guessed it. The brother put two quick shots into my buck. Holy crap, I think to myself, he just shot my buck. That knocked the wind right out of my sail I'm here to tell you. I walked over to the hunters and congratulated them both and then told the brother the rest of the story. He hadn't seen the blood and was surprised the buck stood up from where he was laying. I believed him when he said he didn't know my buck had been already shot. I pulled my blind and went back to the trailer only to have to listen to my wife say I told you to take your gun as well. Nothing like kicking a dog when it's down I told her. I felt bad enough. Long story short I kill one 4 days later with my rifle.

Some fish for dinner

post-1903-0-15742100-1482246154_thumb.jpg

Some bucks I passed on after they drank

post-1903-0-93519300-1482246063_thumb.jpg

My buck the day before I shot it

post-1903-0-03979500-1482246245_thumb.jpg

After the shot at 40yrds

post-1903-0-93990600-1482246314_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-33277200-1482246393_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-84772400-1482246866_thumb.jpg

Back at camp

post-1903-0-35263700-1482246448_thumb.jpg

Some friends Lexie made

post-1903-0-82860500-1482246518_thumb.jpg

Back at my sister's place in Grand Junction

post-1903-0-14634700-1482246931_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Dang TJ you put it down! thats a nice goat by any standard.

Looks like you had a great trip. Makes me want to start buying points. Congrats!

Nice work TJ, love the combo trips and that looks like a nice stringer of trout. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Congratulations on your successful trip and antelope, TJ! Looks like it was a great time!!

I still can't believe you didn't listen to Peg though, you knew she knows best!! Looks like you are still in training ;)

• Like 1

Wow, bittersweet is right! But what a hunt to retell TJ.

I can't wait to cash in my points and go too.

Tommy

Congrats on a great antelope! Looks like a fantastic trip with Peg and Lexie! I'm impressed she stayed right there when her friends came along. My demon would still be running with them!

Nice to see you posting again.

Very nicely done TJ, you are a class act, not sure how I would of handled a situation like that. Congratulations on a great buck and trip. Looks like a blast!

Glad you got it done despite the "challenges" that presented themselves. Congratulations! Those cutters are legit!

Great job buddy! I'm super happy you were able to have a very successfull hunt.

If you email all the pics to me I will get them posted correctly.

post-1205-0-06807800-1482267310.jpg

post-1205-0-88862100-1482267318.jpg

post-1205-0-36929100-1482267329.jpg

post-1205-0-86504000-1482267341.jpg

post-1205-0-61049300-1482267349.jpg

post-1205-0-12118600-1482267358.jpg

post-1205-0-97660400-1482267366.jpg

post-1205-0-90764500-1482267373.jpg

• Like 2

Being a glass half full guy I say awsome, more hunting, shoot 2 in one hunt and get away with it? Sounds good to me. Great trip buddy

Sounds like you had a great vacation. I don't think there is anything quite like Yellowstone. And congrats on shooting archery and rifle bucks on the same hunt. Not many people can say that. You should have gotten a picture of it.