CatfishKev

Trout recipes please.

My wife insists that the fish we got from Parker tasted like pond water. We also don't dig the bones you get in the fish that G&F stocks. If anyone has opinions I'm all ears. The recipe she didn't like was a lemon pepper one with mayo wrapped in foil and slowly baked. It made it kinda easy to get the meat off the bones but she still didn't like it. I'm really trying to get the whole family into more fishing but want some great recipes to try before giving up.

Guest akaspecials

Brine in the fridge for 1-2 hours in 2qts water and 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup kosher salt. Throw on smoker for 1-2 hours under apple wood. That brown sugar and apple wood smoke should cure your issues.

Will it pull off the bone nice?

She absolutely loves PF changs marinated sea bass. I thought about trying to do some sort of thing like that.

My favorite trout dish is trout Pico De Gallo for an appetizer! Wrap tout in foil small amount of oil or butter, lots of fresh ground pepper, lime slices smashed, cilantro, salt, and a little water for steam. Grill or bake till thoroughly cooked. Bone and skin should peal off easily with fork if done right. Mix meat with favorite Pico de gallo and serve hot or cold with favorite chips. Spice with salt or ground slap ya momma or lime for a little more kick. Add small chunks of avocado if desired. Promise there won't be left over if done right! Cheers!

• Like 1

Another great way to eat em is smoked! Google a good brine and soak for a half to full day in brine then smoke for a couple hours either on a charcoal smoker or gas grill with a smoke box and chips. You tube will be your best friend for ideas. Either do a sweet brine with pineapple n such or a bold one with Worcestershire and pepper! Eat hot with favorite green or cold with crackers! BUENO!

Trout. Stick. Mesquite wood. Fire. Eat

Your welcome.

Just kidding. Sort of

Rub them down good with salt and lemon pepper. A little butter and a lemon half wrapped in tinfoil. Throw it on the fire.

Falls off the bones.

• Like 1

Brine in the fridge for 1-2 hours in 2qts water and 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup kosher salt. Throw on smoker for 1-2 hours under apple wood. That brown sugar and apple wood smoke should cure your issues.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^
this exactly but I add lemon juice. I can't get them off the smoker before people eat them!

My favorite trout dish is trout Pico De Gallo for an appetizer! Wrap tout in foil small amount of oil or butter, lots of fresh ground pepper, lime slices smashed, cilantro, salt, and a little water for steam. Grill or bake till thoroughly cooked. Bone and skin should peal off easily with fork if done right. Mix meat with favorite Pico de gallo and serve hot or cold with favorite chips. Spice with salt or ground slap ya momma or lime for a little more kick. Add small chunks of avocado if desired. Promise there won't be left over if done right! Cheers!

We made this same dish over the summer and it was delicious! We called it Pico De Rainbow (trout).

We caught a big stringer of mostly 18-22" trout, mostly cut throats (a couple smaller)at big lake after i shot my late bull a few weeks ago. Trout that were recently stocked just don't taste very good, their meat is pale and mushy. They have been raised on dog food before they release them. After a few months of a worm and crawdad diet their meat gets firm, and turns pink/orange and they are delicious. Anywho, i like to bake them. I clean them and leave the head on, put a few lemon slices inside of them, salt, pepper, dill and a pad of butter. Wrap them in foil and bake for about 15 minutes

post-63-0-44727400-1482426253_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

+1 on these. They really only shine on pulling the pin bones from bigger filets though. They work a lot better than needlenose pliers.

• Like 1

+1 on these. They really only shine on pulling the pin bones from bigger filets though. They work a lot better than needlenose pliers.

A cook I know turned me onto them because I love to eat trout but hate the bones you get from wild trout..Anyways they work pretty well.. My go to recipe is trout in foil packs with lemon , olive oil , butter ,garlic salt , pepper plus a little water for steaming and then I throw them on the grill for about 15-20 minutes..I love using foil packs because I dont have to clean any dishes lol.. Oh yeah sometimes I'll mix in some fresh veggies with the trout .. Foil pack dinners!! FTW!!!!! lol

I always skin trout. Pull back their heads and start pulling. Now you only have meat. Place in foil with a spoon full of butter add season salt or garlic salt. Once done cooking grab the top of the spine and peel the whole bone skeleton out at one time. All you got left is trout sitting in seasoned butter. Eat with hands. Tasty