Elkhunter1

A 6 year drought is over!

With limited time to hunt during the Dec. archery hunt (due to work) I decided any buck would be targeted! The day before my only day off a friend of mine posted on Facebook he found corn poured all around the water tank and a camera on the one he wanted to sit the weekend before. After talking to him I found out it was the same tank I planned to sit....plan B. I shifted gears and decided on another tank I learned about from by brother Rick.

I arrived about 30 minutes before sunrise, set up the blind, settled in and waited. I had animals come it I hadn't seen in a few years; cows, Scally and Gambel Quail, Coues deer, and a Coatimundi. I vidioed all the animals except the buck I shot. As I was texting my buddy Bigorange about the Coati this buck came in. I was reading his response when I looked up to see the buck at the water behind a dead tree. Being in a doghouse blind with my pack, ice chest, a tripod and camera I had no room to maneuver. I spooked the buck as I tried to move the stool. He moved up the berm half way and looked over his shoulder. I eased the stool out of my way and kneeled to make the shot. I couldn't range the buck behind a small Catclaw so I ranged the berm where I thought he would step out. A few seconds later he stepped out and stopped as I pulled back the string to my PSE Evo. I settled the pin and released, he bucked as I heard the swack of the arrow penetrating his chest. He bailed off the back of the berm and disappeared. I waited 15 minutes and could not wait any longer. As I topped the berm I found hair but no blood. I stood atop the berm and glassed the area looking for any movement or white patches. I looked down and noticed my arrow at the bottom of the berm. The arrow was bloody but it also had meat on the shaft...."oh no....not again" I thought. As I stood there I started to see where he went...a blood trail. Wanting to give him more time I returned to my blind and gathered up my gear, and taped the interview. 30 minutes later I started to track my buck. He went only about 50 yards.

post-5396-0-13381000-1482619204.jpg

• Like 11

Nice job steve. Congrats to you

• Like 1

Thats so sweet!!

• Like 1

Congrats on filling your tag. Thank you for sharing the video. I always wondered how long and how much water they drank when at a tank. That lead doe was sucking water like a Sikorsky sky crane. My trail cams only capture stills, so your high quality video answers many questions for me.

• Like 1