Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Successful mule deer hunt

My son Ryan drew his first deer tag this year, and it was a good one. He got one of 50 tags available for the late hunt in December. My schedule prevented me from putting in the amount of time I normally scout, so we didn't have any deer picked out before the hunt started. We hunted the first three days of the hunt, but we were only seeing small deer hanging with the doe's and very little rutting activity. We got a chance to run back up this past Wednesday just for the day, but still didn't find a shooter.

We went back up Thursday night and got up early and started glossing the flats from a small knoll and within a couple minutes I picked up some doe's. I had to move down the hill to get around some trees and finally picked up the buck and knew it was a shooter. We had to get down to the flats and get out in front of the herd to get the wind in our face.

We slowly started working our way back towards the area where I found the herd like we were archery hunting. I finally picked up a doe moving through the trees after a half hour of a slow stalk. We sat down right there hoping the herd would work its way into us. After thirty minutes had passed, we had 6 doe's feeding at 25 yards in front of us and I still couldn't see the buck anywhere. One of the doe's noticed us and took off taking the rest with her. She ran back towards the rest of the herd and that's when the buck stepped out of the trees. I grabbed the rifle already attached the our tripod and moved over about ten feet to get a clear shot.

The buck started to move slowly trying to figure out what was going on. Ryan knelt down and got in behind the rifle and got set up on him. As the buck moved forward I gave a little doe bleat and he stopped right behind a prickly pear broadside. There was one pad in front of his vitals, but Ryan was able to put a perfect shot right in the heart at 110 yards.

We walked up to where the buck was shot and I found the hole where he had shot through the pad and Ryan started tracking blood from there. I was amazed at the amount of blood averywhere. The buck made it about 6 yards and expired. He walked up to the deer in amazement and I couldn't have been more proud at that moment. Ryan is the first person to kill a big game animal using our second generation Rifle Railz Hybrid bolt action tripod mount. He has a jr. pig hunt in about three weeks and I can't wait to do it again. David

post-561-0-50503300-1483203348_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-55219800-1483203366_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Wow what a great first buck! December tag to!! Nice job David and congrats to your son!!!!

Thank you for all the compliments and likes. Here is a picture of the pad. He was shooting a 243 and Hornady Superperformance 95g SST. It broke his leg on the opposite side. David

Toby, By any chance did you get any video or pics of this buck? My video camera battery died before I could get any footage.

post-561-0-60979400-1483236915_thumb.jpg

Congrats, great looking buck!