Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Black River Trout

Im Scout Master over the Varsity Scouts. We have been brain storming a big camp out this june in the White Mountains. I grew up going up there and I still go every year. But its been years since Ive been down the Black were the West and East Fork combined and heads down to Wildcats crossing. I was thinking of backing packing in with the boys and doing some fishing. Looking at Google earth it looks like a lot of rock slides have slide into the river because of the Wallow fire in 2011. Has anyone been back there since? I know the Black holds some good trout and I also know that you can fish it all day and only catch 3 fish, but it would be nice if the boys can at least catch a couple of fish instead of the whole troop getting skunked! I know they are stocking the East Fork river but not the West Fork.

I used to spend the last week of August up there for archery deer and turkey. Always took my fishing gear also. Haven't been back much since the fire. Most of my favorite hunting spots looked like a nuclear blast site. My neighbor helps organize trips with a scout troop. Last year they did a pack trip up on Mount Baldy then fished either White Mountain or Lee Valley Reservoir when they came down. He said it worked out well for them. Might be an option for you.