Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Broadhead weight, spine

i'm shooting a hoyt charger at 65 lbs, FMW Deep Six at 26.5" in length, 330 spine. i've been using the Rage Hypos at 100gr.

I bought the bow last year and it's been shooting well but seems like the last couple months i'm really erratic at 30yds (haven't gone farther than that recently). Groups are not tight like i'd want them to be and sometime i feel like i can see a curve near the point of impact (almost like a corkscrew). Could be my shitty shooting but wondering if after a year the bow may needs re-tuning due to string stretch. Thoughts on that?

On the topic, after some additional research I've learned that i may have too stiff of an arrow for my arrow length and draw weight. It looks like i'd be better suited for the 400 spine (wish they would have mentioned that at the archery shop). Now I have like 9 nice arrows that i don't want to toss....so i'm thinking about increasing my draw weight to 70lbs. Using the chart data it looks like it'll just get me back into "spec". If I go to a 125gr broadhead it's put be squarely in spec.

Any suggestions on what i should do? Logic says i should go one step at a time (draw weight, then heavier head)...but if there's no big downside to shooting a heaver broadhead i'd be fine with that since i'm guessing it'll probably net out with the increased draw weight.

Thanks

Miles

Just get your bow tuned. If it was shooting good now isn't, the spine, draw weight, etc won't help.

Strings stretch, rests move, bolts loosen, etc..

Also, better arrow building can help with broadheads, but probably not your issue( but will help in the long run).

first off, with your set up, the 330 spine is incorrect. Easton shows the 400's are recommended. First place I'd start.

• Like 1

first off, with your set up, the 330 spine is incorrect. Easton shows the 400's are recommended. First place I'd start.

Yes i realized that. So instead of dumping a bunch of good arrows i was thinking about increasing my draw weight and maybe using 125 gr heads. Do you think that's do-able?

I'd give it a try since you already have the arrows. That would put you back in line with Easton's chart.

It's very hard to be over spined so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can usually tune an overspined arrow just fine but you can't tune an underspined arrow. Even in my wife's bow she shoots very stiff arrow with very low poundage and tunes just fine. I would focus on shooting form first and foremost. Next I would look into fletching contact. After that I would try tuning the bow maybe start with paper tuning because that will help you find some of your shooting form flaws. You can't end with paper tuning so after paper tuning I would consider modified French tuning of walk back tuning. Google em. I usually skip the paper tuning unless I think I'm having form trouble.

• Like 1

And as azdiamond mentioned, your bow is a piece of mechanical equipment and things do come loose etc. If you can't see anything out of the ordinary on it, have a bow shop take a look at it.

I'm not sure I need a new one quite yet but what I learned is the bow settled in after it was new and I should have proactively got it readjusted.

Shot the bow last night and my groups are a lot tighter and the sound has much less of a springy sound to it.

Probably get a new string if I get lucky enough to draw a bull tag.

Normally you gain draw weight when the string stretch. You lose draw weight when the cables stretch

• Like 1

A worn out string will reek all kinds of havoc with your setup. If your bow was shooting fine and now its not, first make sure everything is tight and still set correctly/square, then check your string and cables.

Keep in mind a trash string can still look good if its been waxed and well cared for. As mentioned, check the draw weight and draw it back and pull it against its draw stop. If it feels spongy against the stop and/or the weight is low, I'd replace the sting and cables. If you know what speed your bow was shooting a chronograph can tell you a lot. On my old bow that I was shooting last year, the string had gone to heck on it and it went from 68# to 54# and dropped from 275fps to 251, and the arrows were flying like crap.

Check the balance point of your arrows, it should be about 10% front of center. Example : for a 30 inch arrow the center is at 15". The arrow should balance at a point 3 inches (10% of 30) closer to the tip from the centerline. If your arrow is to nose or tail heavy it will cause erratic flight.