Sign in to follow this  
redhammer911

Youth deer/elk setup....

Trying to decide on a nice setup I can get for my sons to multi-purpose hunt deer/elk and not have a ton of recoil. Looking at 6.5 creedmore as a viable option; either the Ruger Predator or the Tikka T3X CTR.

Let me know what you guys think about either gun for a youth.

You are going to get a plethora of responses to that question. I'd just suggest that any caliber is very manageable for a youngster if you will add a brake. So don't limit them down the road by going with a smaller caliber. You can get a good brake installed for $200 or less.

• Like 3

I got my 11 year old daughter a 7mm-08. The reason I chose this is the variety of ammunition available. Lots more than the 6.5 creedmore. for deer this last fall she used the 120 grain reduced recoil round from hornady. in the future she can move up to 150 grain for elk. I got her the Ruger American compact. it has a shortened stock and an 18 inch barrel. it shoots .75 inch groups at 100 yards. Now that I know it is accurate I am going to put a break on it. I also got the triclaw. she shot her first deer last Oct. 160 yards.

• Like 3

I think the creedmoor is a great option. This past season my buddies son shot his first cow elk with my creedmoor at 500 yards with no problem. I've shot several deer with it as well. The round has really impressed me!

• Like 1

I think the creedmoor is a great option. This past season my buddies son shot his first cow elk with my creedmoor at 500 yards with no problem. I've shot several deer with it as well. The round has really impressed me!

Two other idiots killed with it also

• Like 1

That 9 shot 500 yard coues kill was SUPER impressive.

• Like 2

That was not I. We took two mule deer in New Mexico on a hunt I won with Adams gun. Great rig! To bad the gun owner is an a$$hole though. LOL
  • Like 1

LMAO!!!!

That was not I. We took two mule deer in New Mexico on a hunt I won with Adams gun. Great rig! To bad the gun owner is an a$$hole though. LOL

I know it was a slam on adam.

So, the gun is "registered" (background check) is in my name..... what are you trying to say???

I know it was a slam on adam.

So, the gun is "registered" (background check) is in my name..... what are you trying to say???

OMG this is exactly why i stay off this social media crap unless I'm taking a crap, make for hilarious reading. Casey this was a freaking joke with adam. I dont know you, nor was this a dig on you. Had no idea adam bought this gun from you.

6.5 cm, 260 rem, or 6.5x55. I prefer the last but if you don't reload it isn't the best option.

• Like 2

I have my daughters shoot my Remington Mod Seven in a 308. I cut the stock down and had it threaded for a SilencerCo Harvester 30. 3 kids killed with it last year. and 3 the year prior.

I also have a Remington 600 in 243, with a youth stock on it. It was one that had been damaged in a car accident, but still shot great. I had it threaded and put a SilencerCo Specwar556 on it. I know the opening appears to be smaller then the bullet but since the can is machinegun rated, it is opened up to 7.5mm. It is really quite and the recoil on it is about like a 223. My nephews killed with it 2 years ago, both with shots over 250 yards.

The use of silencers will dramatically increase accuracy because of the reduced muzzle report, reduced recoil, and decreased muzzle flip. It helps take away the flinch factor. The ones I use reduce the sound from 23-34 decibels, which is huge. Some kids I have taken shooting are fine with the recoil but the noise, even with ears is too much. It also reduces recoil, and depending on the can/caliber it can be up to 40% reduction.

There is a bill before Congress to take them off of the NFA list. I hope it passes, but if it doesn't it still is worth the time and $ to get one. IMO