Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Great grandfather's hunting rifle

I just inherited my great grandfather's hunting rifle. Its a ww1 mauser 06. Its pretty cool to have it. He built the stock and rear peep sight. Pics following.

I have my GGrandfather's lever action Winchester with a braised tang where a horse fell with him and broke the stock. He braised it back together, made a stock and used it for a bunch more years, has old cloth electrical tape wrapped around the fix.

• Like 1

I have my GGrandfather's lever action Winchester with a braised tang where a horse fell with him and broke the stock. He braised it back together, made a stock and used it for a bunch more years, has old cloth electrical tape wrapped around the fix.

that's cool.

this gun also has a braised tang rear peep. it must have been the thing back then.

i'd really love to take a nice mule deer with this gun, it would just be awesome.

i got a couple of scabbards with it, one of them with the old family brand stamped on it.

• Like 1

Sweet rifle. Which maker stamp is on it? I had a Winchester 1917 sporterized and improved to .300 H&H. Rifle was a thumper, can't believe I let it go. I didn't even mind the $2-3 per round but ammo availability was lacking.

• Like 1

looks to be turkish. need pic of left side of action. also get inside of box magazine length measurement.

lee

He says it's a .30-06, not an 8mm.

Like Lee said, need a pic of the opposite side of breech, barrel.

Nice bits of family history. Very cool.

I have a box in my closet with a couple pistols grandpa brought home from germany in wwII. No long guns though, grandma made him get rid of those so he hid the pistols.

• Like 1

Nice bits of family history. Very cool.

I have a box in my closet with a couple pistols grandpa brought home from germany in wwII. No long guns though, grandma made him get rid of those so he hid the pistols.

Awesome... Please please please post pics

looks to be turkish. need pic of left side of action. also get inside of box magazine length measurement.

lee

not original barrel. tapered. several companies after wwii were installing 2-grove springfield barrels on mauser 98's w fajen stocks. i had one stamped santa fe rifle co.

lee

• Like 1

My brother inherited a winchester 1886 45-90 a few years ago from our grandfather. I believe my great grandfather bought it new and handed it down to our grandfather who is 90 years old now. Pretty spectacular rifle and in great shape

• Like 3

lee

not original barrel. tapered. several companies after wwii were installing 2-grove springfield barrels on mauser 98's w fajen stocks. i had one stamped santa fe rifle co.

lee

good stuff, lee; of course it's a different barrel.

My brother inherited a winchester 1886 45-90 a few years ago from our grandfather. I believe my great grandfather bought it new and handed it down to our grandfather who is 90 years old now. Pretty spectacular rifle and in great shape

Why can't we get pics of these treasures? Hearing about them without seeing them is about as frustrating as an evening at the titty bar.